Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #91
khahoon
Connoisseur
khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: generic
Both the HD+ and the HD have darn good resolutions for their size (and price nowadays). I do not understand why people are so angry at these devices. THey are pretty good devices. But I agree on BN`s heavy handed approach on these devices. I think they want to be somewhere between Apple and Amazon but achieving being neither Amazon, nor Apple nor a hybrid of both.

Anyways these devices are very nice and go grab them. In the end these are Android devices. I own HD+ and HD and they both serve for nice purposes. Get both while you can!
khahoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #92
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
Well, if the HD/HD+ are the swan song for the Nook-Android tablets then they've done a terrific job with the hardware. And right now, with full access to Google Play, I think the Nook HD is the best tablet in the 7-8" category, assuming you don't need a camera/gps. I'm glad I was able to get one of these at the good sale prices.
I would say that's the case if you install CM 10.1, I don't like the skinning of the original software, and it's stuck on ICS and will never be updated (officially) to JB. There are some nice additions to JB that unfortunately you can't enjoy on the original software.

Quote:
It's too bad B&N faltered with marketing and, on the software side, keeping things closed to Google Play for too long. Had they not done that and planned ahead with more foresight, they might have been able to survive independently much longer.
Agreed, should they have released the Nook HD(+) originally with the Play Store, they would have had a clear advantage over Amazon. Unfortunately, they added this feature when it was too late.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:31 AM   #93
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I would say that's the case if you install CM 10.1, I don't like the skinning of the original software, and it's stuck on ICS and will never be updated (officially) to JB. There are some nice additions to JB that unfortunately you can't enjoy on the original software.
Even without a new ROM, I think the HD/HD+ are some of the best tablets available right now, if not the best, especially if screen resolution is important for someone. I find the screen of the HD to be superior to that of many other 7" or larger tablets I've used for reading. I don't need to pinch and zoom as much. I'm surprised how comfortably I can read very small type.

I have no problems with performance with ICS either, and actually like the stock launcher (once modded to allow sideloading).

What exactly would I get in JB that I don't have now? The only JB feature I've come across that I would like to have is offline voice-to-text. ICS can do voice-to-text, but not offline. But not having the offline mode is not major. Other than that, what else is there?

Is it possible to put on JB and keep some of the features of the stock launcher without dual booting? I don't like dual-boots, finding them inconvenient. What I would want to keep is the scrapbooking and catalogs features B&N put on there. I assume you lose that when you put on a new ROM?

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:39 AM   #94
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khahoon View Post

Anyways these devices are very nice and go grab them. In the end these are Android devices. I own HD+ and HD and they both serve for nice purposes. Get both while you can!
I agree. I like the HD so much I am thinking of eventually getting the HD+ as well. The only other thing I would consider right now in a larger tablet is one of the bigger Galaxy Notes for their S-Pen feature. Other than that, I really don't need GPS or a camera, especially in a larger tablet which I would use mostly at home.

--Pat
Old 07-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #95
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What exactly would I get in JB that I don't have now? The only JB feature I've come across that I would like to have is offline voice-to-text. ICS can do voice-to-text, but not offline. But not having the offline mode is not major. Other than that, what else is there?
The main things that come to mind with JB are Google Now, multi-user support, the quick settings screen, the improved notifications (where you can, for instance, see details of an email or reply to it), the lock screen widgets and the speed improvements brought by project butter. There's probably other stuff I'm forgetting.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #96
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Project Butter and a few battery saving changes are the biggest things. The rest are just niceties that aren't really that important. I personally don't care if my HD+ gets JB--I'm quite happy with it the way it is. You can really do a lot of "personalizing" with ICS.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #97
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
B&N Just Fired Their CEO and Left His Job Empty

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20.../#.UdtDeG1dB5E
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #98
PatNY
Zennist

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
The main things that come to mind with JB are Google Now, multi-user support, the quick settings screen, the improved notifications (where you can, for instance, see details of an email or reply to it), the lock screen widgets and the speed improvements brought by project butter. There's probably other stuff I'm forgetting.
I have Google Now on my iPod Touch, and I don't even use it there. Multi-user support is not needed and I find the current (stock) notification center pretty good as it is (and much better than iOS).

Maybe I will do it in the future as the one thing I'm really intrigued with ... offline voice-to-text ... is not available on ICS. Other than that and perhaps better battery life, there is nothing else I feel would be improved by JB.

I'm really quite happy with the stock OS now that it's modded to allow sideloading and trick Google Play into allowing more downloads.

--Pat
Old 07-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #99
PatNY
Zennist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
Project Butter and a few battery saving changes are the biggest things. The rest are just niceties that aren't really that important. I personally don't care if my HD+ gets JB--I'm quite happy with it the way it is. You can really do a lot of "personalizing" with ICS.
I quite agree. One can do much more customizing with the stock OS than one can do with iOS 7! I can change the wallpaper, app icons, make folders and give them each a customized icon, all within the stock OS. You can only do maybe half of that with iOS unless you jailbreak it.

--Pat
Old 07-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #100
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Shares of Barnes & Noble Inc. slipped nearly 3 percent in premarket trading on Tuesday after the bookseller said its CEO is leaving and did not name a replacement.

Late Monday, the New York company said William Lynch was resigning after three years on the job. The change comes two weeks after Barnes & Noble said it would stop making its own Nook color touchscreen tablets, marking a major shift in the retailer's strategy.
Source