Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-19-2011, 10:58 AM   #1
plienas
plienas began at the beginning.

Device: none
Categorization

The downloaded metadata tags are usually not much of help (currently i've imported 100 books and have over 300 tags -- not the most useful tool to help browsing the library). Problem -- too detailed, too many of them. Although they are helpful then sorting the books manually.

But there's the "user categories" option available:
As i understand, the whole categorization mechanism is based on assigning authors\series\publishers\tags to a certain category.

So the only solution i see here is, then sorting books manually add some artificial tag, which should be clearly different from the downloaded ones, and used only for categorizing. Then, create the category and add that tag.

------

Ultimately the goal of this is to create a hierarchical library structure, where the structure is defined by me. I think this is what most people want -- the freedom to organize their library the way they want. I'm not talking about the actual file system structure.

Example:
Lets say i have a book "Microsoft Visual C# 2010 Step by Step".
So following my logic, i would place this book in "IT\Programming\Microsoft\". "IT" being the category, "Programming" it's subcategory, and "Microsoft" the latter's subcategory.

------

Or maybe there are easier ways to categorize books this way ? Drag and drop feature, or some kind of "add to category" option would be really helpful here.
plienas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by plienas View Post
The downloaded metadata tags are usually not much of help (currently i've imported 100 books and have over 300 tags -- not the most useful tool to help browsing the library). Problem -- too detailed, too many of them. Although they are helpful then sorting the books manually.
I'm afraid I can't help you with categories, but I had this problem with tags too. I now have 10000 books and only 240 tags. I use the Goodreads metadata plugin to retrieve tags. This plugin allows you to map the Goodreads genres to the tag names of your choice. This way I have a finite set of predefined tags. I outlined how I use this plugin and my mapping in this post.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2011, 02:25 PM   #3
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Personally, I delete all tags and set my metadata download to not download tags. I was ending up a a HUGE number of collections based on tags.

For your example you cuold just then tag the book with the three tags.

Or set up some other columns to provide Category, Subcategory, and Sub-subcategory.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote