Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-01-2012, 09:37 AM   #1
Nantes
Nantes began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Question about iBooks

Hello guys,

I am Brazilian, and my parents have for many years been translators of documents (from English to Portuguese) for pharmaceutical representatives over here to use in their job. Yesterday my mom called me saying that there's now a tendency towards the use of iPads by these professionals, and thus it would be quite wise for my parents to start accounting for this by making their files readable on iPads. My mom entrusted me with finding out how to do this, as I have more free time and online research skills. However I have little clue about this subject, I need your help!

As far as I'm aware, my parents primarily export their translations in PDF format, since the documents usually have garish formatting and visual elements, and they usually come in PDF to start with. Otherwise they use .doc files. Are PDFs fully readable on iPads?

In the case they are not, what about ePub format for iBooks? My mom mentioned something about them possibly needing to buy a Mac just so that they could run iBooks Author. Is there no good alternative for this program for Windows? It'd be quite a waste to buy a Mac for the sole purpose of making files for iPads if there's a viable alternative for Windows.

Thank you very much.
Nantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
If the documents need fixed layout/formatting, then PDF works. There are a number of PDF reader apps available for the iPad. Both Safari and iBooks also support PDF.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
If you want an ebook format, use ePub, which is readable in iBooks, and several other reader apps.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
If the translations use charts, diagrams, lots of pictures, PDF's are read beautifully on the Ipad Ibooks app.

Adobe Reader is free, and is another option to read PDF's.....

Amazing how many schools, doctors, etc are switching to Ipads......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
OH..........and Welcome to MobileRead, Nantes!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
Delotte231
Connoisseur
Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: None
I agree. PDF works for most cases in many different devices. It is kind of a universal format. The only thing you would have to make sure of is that the formatting of the size is right for the iPad screen dimensions to maximize screen space.
Delotte231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #7
Nantes
Nantes began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Thanks for the answers people. I have forwarded them to my parents, and my dad answered that their clients already know that iPads can read PDF and that those files are easily synchronizable via iTunes. Apparently, they want something more elaborate, such as ePub and iBooks Author. My dad is thinking about purchasing a Mac just because of the latter, I think it's unnecessary. Is there any real need for iBooks Author over Windows alternatives?
Nantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:35 AM   #8
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
I don't know about iBooks author as I use a PC. I suggest that your dad check out Jutoh which is an ebook creation editing programme for PC, Mac and Linux. You can download a free trial so that he can check it out. It will create books in all the popular formats and isn't very expensive and imho does a far better job than Sigil.

Last edited by Valkrider; 08-07-2012 at 02:39 AM.
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantes View Post
Thanks for the answers people. I have forwarded them to my parents, and my dad answered that their clients already know that iPads can read PDF and that those files are easily synchronizable via iTunes. Apparently, they want something more elaborate, such as ePub and iBooks Author. My dad is thinking about purchasing a Mac just because of the latter, I think it's unnecessary. Is there any real need for iBooks Author over Windows alternatives?
If he wants some interactive stuff then yes, he's going to need a Mac because I don't think iBooks Author will work on non-Macs (well, might work on Hackint0sh but he doesn't need that headache when you can get a Mac Mini for $500 or so).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #10
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I wouldnt recommend iBooks Author, its hideously restrictive in use and in what you can do with the finished product.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:43 AM   #11
Delotte231
Connoisseur
Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: None
At least it will have a better integration with the iPad that they will test it on (which is also restrictive), right?
Delotte231 is offline   Reply With Quote