Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-09-2012, 12:11 AM   #1
tuebl
tuebl began at the beginning.

Device: server
CLI Convert EPUB -> Mobi

I noticed that zamzar (.com) uses calibre to convert epub into mobi so I am figuring that they are using some sort of CLI function to do it. I was wondering if there was some pre-existing code or better yet does Calibre already have the function to convert epubs to mobi from the command line?

I want to do it automatically from my website, so the GUI wont help me at all. Thanks!
tuebl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:10 AM   #2
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuebl View Post
I noticed that zamzar (.com) uses calibre to convert epub into mobi so I am figuring that they are using some sort of CLI function to do it. I was wondering if there was some pre-existing code or better yet does Calibre already have the function to convert epubs to mobi from the command line?

I want to do it automatically from my website, so the GUI wont help me at all. Thanks!
The functionality is included in a standard Calibre install. The command is ebook-convert

The relevant page of the manual is: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cli/ebook-convert.html

You can simply call it with the file to be converted, and the file name of the converted file, but there are lots of options documented in the manual.

eg:
Code:
ebook-convert epub-book.epub converted-book.mobi
Russ
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2012, 03:26 AM   #3
tuebl

Man I even looked that up! I found all sorts of other CLI commands but not that one, I must be an idiot.

Thank you.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:00 AM   #4
tuebl

is it possible to only have the CLI backend though, since this is installed on a server, it wants to add xorg and stuff and that's all pointless to me
Old 01-09-2012, 04:59 AM   #5
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
is it possible to only have the CLI backend though, since this is installed on a server, it wants to add xorg and stuff and that's all pointless to me
I'm not sure. I seem to recall reading something about that, but it's not something I've really looked into.

Russ
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
There is a FAQ for that

It is linked on the first line of the Help page
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
tuebl

Well after searching even after reading your advice it took me a while trying to find what you were talking about. To anyone who gets here through Google or whatever, it's at the very bottom of the FAQ on the manual.

THanks guys