Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-27-2011, 01:16 PM   #1
Jamik
Jamik began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
.mobi files and Calibre

I am trying to open .mobi files I've downloaded or even open Calibre after I've downloaded. They show up in the downloaded files but I can't do anything with them. Any tips?
Jamik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:49 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamik View Post
I am trying to open .mobi files I've downloaded or even open Calibre after I've downloaded. They show up in the downloaded files but I can't do anything with them. Any tips?
How are you trying to open them? With ES File Explorer? You need File Expert to open them so they show up on your Shelves.
See this post.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 02:09 PM   #3
Jamik

It's still not working....I haven't a clue what's going wrong....
Old 12-27-2011, 02:14 PM   #4
Jamik

When I try to update File Expert, it won't install.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:25 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
When I try to update File Expert, it won't install.
You have to uninstall it first then install the new version. Always get your updates from the same place you got the original app.
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
Jamik

I did close and try to reinstall, I've also uninstalled and reinstalled and still nothing. Do you think I have a bad Kindle? I really an discouraged from using it right now.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:00 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I did close and try to reinstall, I've also uninstalled and reinstalled and still nothing. Do you think I have a bad Kindle? I really an discouraged from using it right now.
Try restarting the Kindle Fire. Then try installing File Expert again. What is the app doing? It is crashing or wont open at all?
Old 12-27-2011, 11:31 PM   #8
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Without more information, its hard to diagnose the problem. When I convert books to mobi format, I just transfer them via usb to the Fire and put them in the books folder. They show up in the device library without problem.

As for this being a problem with the Kindle, that's unlikely. Its either something in the settings of Calibre or it's PEBCAK.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:38 AM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
Without more information, its hard to diagnose the problem. When I convert books to mobi format, I just transfer them via usb to the Fire and put them in the books folder. They show up in the device library without problem.

As for this being a problem with the Kindle, that's unlikely. Its either something in the settings of Calibre or it's PEBCAK.
OP's trying to sideload via WiFi. He can't get File Expert to work if I am reading it right.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:47 AM   #10
tracys3sons
tracys3sons began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
It took me four days to figure out how to get my mobi files on my fire. I'm not a kindle newbie so I was very frustrated. I couldn't use the usb for some reason, they just wouldn't show up. I updated my calibre so it now has the kindle fire drivers and I was successful in using calibre to send to my fire w/ my usb. I've not tried to do it wirelessly yet. I was so frustrated just trying to use the usb. I have NO idea why they wouldn't show up by just loading them to the books or docs folders, but I'm set now.
tracys3sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:18 PM   #11
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I had the same problem with side loading. I just use the Calibre email function now. For some reason, it takes about 40 seconds to send a book to my K4, and 4 minutes to send a book to my Fire).
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote