Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-21-2011, 10:58 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Fire/ipad comparisons

Unfortuantely I had to buy an ipad for my son's education so I have an oportunity to compare the ipad to the fire. Anyone else have any further insights into comparisons, other than the ovbious that hte fire is smaller:

1) I think the fire is brighter then the ipad
2) Fire is considerably faster than the ipad
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:02 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Both the Fire and the iPad have a 1GHz dual-core CPU with 512MB RAM, so one would expect their speed to be similar.

Surely the screen brightness simply depends how high you have the backlight turned up, doesn't it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Unfortuantely I had to buy an ipad...
My most sincere condolences.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Just sold my iPad...
  • iPad has terrible text resolution/clarity/rendering making prolonged reading difficult on my eyes. The Retina display on the iPhone/iPod touch is terrific, but the iPad display is terrible for reading. The Fire is a great reader with crisp and clear text.
  • The iOS system is much more elegant and it works more or less flawlessly. Android not so much. Though Android is more customizable and open, apps just seem to work less annoyingly on the iPad.
  • Battery life of iPad was terrible. Battery life of Fire a little better but not great.
  • Syncing of email, contacts, and calendars is much easier and seamless on iPad. Google sux with their forcing of Google Services which equally suck.
  • Integrating with other devices is MUCH easier on the Fire than with the closed iOS iPad.

Last edited by jswinden; 12-21-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm a little surprised to hear you say that the battery life of the iPad was terrible; I get a good 12h from mine when reading. What do you get from the Fire?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2011, 12:59 PM   #6
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Yeah we get great battery life on our iPad 1.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:28 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

I typically got about 5 hours on both iPad 1's I owned. My iPod touches were even worse! I've never actually timed the Fire, bit it feels like I get a bit longer per charge than the iPad.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:58 PM   #8
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
iPad was released more than a year and half ago than the Fire, Fire also has smaller screen to drive. I wouldn't be surprised if the Fire seems faster than the original iPad. But when I tested both iPad 2 & Fire, fire was considerably slower.

Just because two devices list as 1GHz and 512MB does not mean they're the same or even similar speed(sometimes it could be twice as fast/slow depending on applications). The chip's design architecture is just as important if not more so.
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:34 PM   #9
ssahnan
Enthusiast
ssahnan is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle3g, kindle touch, kindle fire, kindle ipad 1 and 2, kindle iphon
The ipad's gotten slower with susequent software updates, but i'd still put it close enuf to the fire to be a non factor. the fire is not in the same zipcode as the ipad2. Battery wise, I find the fire's battery to be significantly less then that of either ipad, those devices also have the size to afford them a bigger battery. The screen touch experience on a ipad is infinitely better then that of kindle although the last fire update has helped quite a bit.
I would never ever remotely consider a fire over an ipad if I was given a choice between the two. As a second tablet, the fire has very good bang for your buck
ssahnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:42 PM   #10
dengar
Connoisseur
dengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with others

Device: PW2, K3, Ipad 4, Kindle Fire
I love my Ipad, I love my Fire. Whats wrong with that?
dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:54 PM   #11
JoeyBlaze
Enthusiast
JoeyBlaze began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
2) Fire is considerably faster than the ipad
You're crazy.

I have both an ipad 2 and the Kindle Fire. While I enjoy both devices, they're not really comparable. the ipad wins in almost every category I can think of (including reading).

Again, I have and enjoy the Fire, but nobody can say its better than the ipad.
JoeyBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:41 PM   #12
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBlaze View Post
...nobody can say its better than the ipad.
The Fire is better than the iPad. There, I said it.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:17 PM   #13
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I typically got about 5 hours on both iPad 1's I owned. My iPod touches were even worse! I've never actually timed the Fire, bit it feels like I get a bit longer per charge than the iPad.
Something is very wrong if all you get is 5 hours of use
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:02 PM   #14
drjpreston
Enthusiast
drjpreston can extract oil from cheesedrjpreston can extract oil from cheesedrjpreston can extract oil from cheesedrjpreston can extract oil from cheesedrjpreston can extract oil from cheesedrjpreston can extract oil from cheesedrjpreston can extract oil from cheesedrjpreston can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 & Fire
I found my IPad was difficult to carry because of its larger size. I was always leaving it like a hat some place and and having to go back for it. I travel a lot every day to different places and the Kindle fire fits into my side suit coat pocket. It is also the same size as most books or even my Bible that I often carry with it. I just find the KF more convenient. The Fire works better on the cheap seats on the airplane plane when the guy in front of you leans his seat back almost into your lap. I no longer take the iPad with me. I can do everything I need to with the KF.
drjpreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:20 AM   #15
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Don't quite understand why I am getting better performance out of my fire then my son's ipad. Both are on my fiber optic network and I seem to be getting all of that junk email on my fire screen a lot faster than I ever did on the ipad.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote