Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-13-2011, 11:10 PM   #1
producerism
producerism began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Rooted Nook Touch vs Kobo Touch?

So I've been devouring information regarding e-readers since my Mom started raving about her new Kindle 3. For the last week I've been reading articles and watching video comparisons over and over. I have to say this forum has been one of the most helpful resources I've found.

Anyways, I was just about set on getting a Kobo Touch for the following reasons:
- most "open" (although I realize with Calibre, all ereaders are pretty much open)
- supported PDF zooming/landscape view
- A bit thinner (not sure if that's a pro or a con)
- the firmware updates as of recent have been impressive
edit: - lack of buttons is a huge plus for me

That said, after discovering that there is lots of activity in rooting the Nook Simple Touch to install Android, it seems like a no-brainer to get an NST. That way I can either use the native Nook reader (which seems to be pretty decent), or I can use any other reader in the Android Market (including Kindle).

I'm pretty set on the NST, unless the feel of it is just unbearable. Other than that, I was wondering if there are caveats anyone is aware of, or any reasons to still favor a Kobo Touch over the Nook Touch?

Last edited by producerism; 07-13-2011 at 11:38 PM.
producerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:36 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
If this is your first eReader, I'm sure you'll be happy with the NOOK. Those most critical of it have experience with other eink devices. I have no interest in rooting it because I have an Android tablet. For the record, I prefer the Kobo over the NOOK.

Last edited by SCION; 07-13-2011 at 11:38 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2011, 12:46 AM   #3
producerism

thank you for the reply - I notice you updated your message as well

I'm interested in why you prefer the Kobo over the Nook. I don't really want a backlit tablet, since the whole eInk and battery life are what I'm after. Now assuming you didn't already have an Android tablet, would a rooted Nook be an obvious choice over the Kobo?

What is it about the Kobo you like so much more?

In my opinion, I'm not really comparing Nook vs Kobo, i'm comparing Android with eInk vs Kobo (the fact it's running on a Nook is somewhat inconsequential, other than the ergonomics and form-factor).
Old 07-14-2011, 12:48 AM   #4
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Android is a huge plus IMO. It depends how techy you are. The single button of the Kobo seems like a bad idea to me. I have touch screen and seven buttons on my Sony. I use all of them.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:57 AM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I guess the question is why does the stock NOOK not meet your needs? You mentioned wanting to run the Kindle app on it. Why? Do you have Kindle books already? Are some books you're interested in only available from Amazon?

You'll be able to root it, but it's still an eInk device. What type of navigation and performance capability do you anticipate it having? Do you have specific apps you want to run on the NOOK (besides the Kindle app)? If so, do you know if they work adequately on it?

I can't compare the rooted NOOK to the Kobo. Here are my reasons for preferring the Kobo over the stock NOOK.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...135684&page=16
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...135684&page=17

As far as I know, there have been no enhancements to the stock reader app or stock library management on a rooted NOOK.

Last edited by SCION; 07-14-2011 at 01:00 AM.
Advert
Old 07-14-2011, 12:58 AM   #6
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Android is a huge plus IMO. It depends how techy you are. The single button of the Kobo seems like a bad idea to me. I have touch screen and seven buttons on my Sony. I use all of them.
The NOOK has a single button as well. Though when you root you'll be able to install a set of softkeys for menu access.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:23 AM   #7
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kobo Touch
The other thing to keep in mind is that many of the 3rd party applications being installed on rooted Nook STR's have been designed with LCD displays in mind. As an example, the Kindle App has a pretty page animation that looks AWFUL on an eInk display. To the best of my knowledge, this cannot be disabled.

If I was after a reader for tweaking and hacking I'd select the STR, although I'd look more towards the Nook Color for it's general flexibility. I wanted a reader to read with, so I went with the Kobo.

B&N's policy towards international customers (i.e. they don't want them) was also instrumental in my decision.
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:47 AM   #8
producerism

Thanks again for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I guess the question is why does the stock NOOK not meet your needs?
Good question - I would agree with you on your many points, that the amount of fine tuning (or rather lack thereof) is one example. I like being able to select between various font types, margins, etc. Also, the fact that you can't read/zoom PDFs is a pretty big deal for me.

There are a few other features like deleting books from the device, excessive hyphenation, etc. Really all minor stuff (other than the PDF support).

Quote:
You mentioned wanting to run the Kindle app on it. Why? Do you have Kindle books already? Are some books you're interested in only available from Amazon?
I don't have an affinity for any specific reader (yet), I just know that I will never (willingly) purchase a book from Barnes & Noble. My main reason for using a 3rd party app is to overcome any of the missing features outlined above (and by you, in your other posts). That way, the featureset for my ereader relies on Android Developers moreso than firmware updates from B&N (or Kobo for that matter).

Quote:
What type of navigation and performance capability do you anticipate it having? Do you have specific apps you want to run on the NOOK (besides the Kindle app)? If so, do you know if they work adequately on it?
Here are a few apps that would make all the difference: dropbox, gmail, evernote, and a few rss/blog specific reading apps. As for navigation/performance, I realize it will be choppier than my android phone which is OK. This is still intended to be an ereader, not a tablet.

Quote:
I can't compare the rooted NOOK to the Kobo. Here are my reasons for preferring the Kobo over the stock NOOK.
Like I mentioned before, I was just about sold on the Kobo - there was only one thing that stopped me from purchasing yesterday: no highlighting/dictionary support for side-loaded books. When I read, I frequently highlight/dog-ear/underline passages to go back to. I also frequently use a dictionary to look up words while I read (based on the comments around here, I may be part of a minority!)

I really do like the way Kobo deals with highlights/dictionary, but the fact it only works for Kobo books is a bit of a dealbreaker for me. I understand that future firmware updates may enable that... but I don't want to rely on that. At least with an Android app, I know that I'll be able to do just about all the things I want.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:32 AM   #9
producerism

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedJ View Post
If I was after a reader for tweaking and hacking I'd select the STR, although I'd look more towards the Nook Color for it's general flexibility.
Yes, I am more interested in reading than anything else - however for about $100 more, it is tempting. My biggest concerns are with eye strain when reading at night/sunny day and just as importantly, the extra weight that the NC has over the NTS. If those aren't serious issues with the NC, it may be worth a second look.

Last edited by producerism; 07-14-2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:19 AM   #10
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
Do the Nook and the Kobo allow for browsing for titels through folders i.o. collections?
adbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #11
producerism

update (7/14/2011): In somewhat of an unexpected turn, and after reviewing my wants/needs with the various options, I decided to go with the Nook Color. I'm much more of a casual reader, and the ability to view graphic novels in color outweighed the battery life and weight.

Plus, B&N is selling reconditioned Nook Colors for $199, and for $60 more I couldn't think of a good reason to say no. Thanks for the insight.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #12
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by producerism View Post
update (7/14/2011): In somewhat of an unexpected turn, and after reviewing my wants/needs with the various options, I decided to go with the Nook Color. I'm much more of a casual reader, and the ability to view graphic novels in color outweighed the battery life and weight.

Plus, B&N is selling reconditioned Nook Colors for $199, and for $60 more I couldn't think of a good reason to say no. Thanks for the insight.
What a difference a day makes. Enjoy!

Quote:
...I don't really want a backlit tablet, since the whole eInk and battery life are what I'm after.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:46 PM   #13
producerism

ha, no kidding. I was really sold on the whole eInk thing, but after reading lots of reviews, it seems that the backlight isn't really an issue (in terms of eye strain, or reading in sunlight).

Plus, I also realized that it's rare for me to be away from a computer (or at least an outlet) for more than 6-8 hours, so while having 1-2 months of battery life on a single charge is very appealing, I suppose it's not practical for my use.

If it weren't for the posts on this board praising the Nook Color, I never would have considered it. Thanks again!
Old 07-14-2011, 04:51 PM   #14
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
ha, no kidding. I was really sold on the whole eInk thing, but after reading lots of reviews, it seems that the backlight isn't really an issue (in terms of eye strain, or reading in sunlight).

Plus, I also realized that it's rare for me to be away from a computer (or at least an outlet) for more than 6-8 hours, so while having 1-2 months of battery life on a single charge is very appealing, I suppose it's not practical for my use.

If it weren't for the posts on this board praising the Nook Color, I never would have considered it. Thanks again!
I love reading on my nook color, you do have to feel your way around a bit until you get some setting you enjoy ie brightness , font type and background color. I usually recommend grey background with about 30% brightness to ease your way into it. It's nice.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:58 PM   #15
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
... I usually recommend grey background with about 30% brightness to ease your way into it. It's nice.
Great advice. That's what I settled on when I first got mine, after trying Sepia.