Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-30-2013, 06:13 PM   #16411
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm not a big fan of Christie. She writes a good mystery, but the problem is her characters, who are wooden and two-dimensional. Ngaio Marsh and Dorothy L. Sayers, on the other hand, write about characters who come to life as real people. I know that Christie was far more commercially successful than either, but I honestly don't think she was that wonderful a writer.
To each his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Based on my very limited reading of Christie, Marsh, Sayers and Allingham, I'd still take Christie. Indeed, Christie is the only one I've read more than one book by, so far. Maybe that's just because Christie hit the ground running, while the others took a few books to get going? I don't know, but I didn't much like Wimsey, and didn't really feel Alleyn made sense to me. I did enjoy Campion, but the first Campion wasn't Allingham's first book.
This describes me as well, except for the limited reading part.

Agatha Christie entertains with puzzles, unraveling the mystery is the point. I like Josephine Tey, but Sayers and Marsh don't do much for me.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:19 PM   #16412
ketsa
ketsa has never been to obedience school.ketsa has never been to obedience school.ketsa has never been to obedience school.ketsa has never been to obedience school.ketsa has never been to obedience school.ketsa has never been to obedience school.ketsa has never been to obedience school.ketsa has never been to obedience school.ketsa has never been to obedience school.ketsa has never been to obedience school.ketsa has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kobo Glo
currently reading Game of Thrones Vol 1, really like it.
Also reading "The controversy of Zion", quite interesting, in pause until I tire of GoT
ketsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #16413
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I only read one Sayers and thought it was on the dull side. however, I did read Christie when I was a teen... so that may change my view of them. They were so much more enjoyable than those assigned books.

BOb
Which one was it. I like most of Sayers books but Five Red Herrings with all its train time tables was very boring. And I suspected it was boring for me just because it was mostly a puzzle.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:38 PM   #16414
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Which one was it. I like most of Sayers books but Five Red Herrings with all its train time tables was very boring. And I suspected it was boring for me just because it was mostly a puzzle.
Frankly I don't remember. Strange I can't find it logged in library thing.. may it wasn't sayers. It was about this rich guy that was a detective... he went undercover as a worker at an Ad Agency to find a killer... iirc.

I am pretty sure it was a MR Book Club selection.. but I can't for the life of me find the book club thread that lists all the past selections.

Ah.. I found it... Murder Must Advertise.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:17 AM   #16415
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
I confess that I have never read Ngaio Marsh and I should probably
explore some of his work.
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #16416
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Finished "A Memory of Light" by Jordan/Sanderson and enjoyed the end of the series.

Then started and finished "Old Man's War" by John Scalzi after getting it through the Kindle daily deal a few weeks back. Light reading but I enjoyed it. Will give the rest of the Old Man series a try eventually.

Now I'm going throwback and re-reading "The Han Solo Adventures" by Brian Daley. The older Star Wars books before the expanded universe got too crazy are nice to go back to, just to enjoy the original characters.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #16417
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I'm reading Royal Assassin, great so far.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #16418
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
I confess that I have never read Ngaio Marsh and I should probably
explore some of his work.
HER work, please.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #16419
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
Well! now I know!

I'll have to read some of HER books!

You learn something new every day.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 05-01-2013 at 11:05 AM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #16420
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
Finished "A Memory of Light" by Jordan/Sanderson and enjoyed the end of the series.

Then started and finished "Old Man's War" by John Scalzi after getting it through the Kindle daily deal a few weeks back. Light reading but I enjoyed it. Will give the rest of the Old Man series a try eventually.

Now I'm going throwback and re-reading "The Han Solo Adventures" by Brian Daley. The older Star Wars books before the expanded universe got too crazy are nice to go back to, just to enjoy the original characters.

Besides his Star Wars novels, which were excellent, Brian Daley also did several excellent series of his own, including:

the adventures of Hobart Floyt and Alacrity Fitzhugh (space opera) - "Requiem for a Ruler of Worlds", "Jinx on a Terran Inheritance" and "Fall of the White Ship Avatar"

Coramonde (fantasy) - "The Doomfarers of Coramonde" and "The Starfollowers of Coramonde"

Thanks for the reminder; I must dust off my old paperbacks.

Has anyone read Daley's "A Tapestry of Magics"?
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #16421
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
Besides his Star Wars novels, which were excellent, Brian Daley also did several excellent series of his own, including:

the adventures of Hobart Floyt and Alacrity Fitzhugh (space opera) - "Requiem for a Ruler of Worlds", "Jinx on a Terran Inheritance" and "Fall of the White Ship Avatar"

Coramonde (fantasy) - "The Doomfarers of Coramonde" and "The Starfollowers of Coramonde"

Thanks for the reminder; I must dust off my old paperbacks.

Has anyone read Daley's "A Tapestry of Magics"?
I have them all in Paper and have read them many times, including A Tapestry of Magics.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #16422
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I have them all in Paper and have read them many times, including A Tapestry of Magics.
Apache
Is "A Tapestry of Magics" related to the Corramonde books?
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #16423
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
No it is a standalone novel. And I loved the humor in the book.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:38 PM   #16424
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post

Next is a risky proposition. Three A.M. by Steven John. Goodreads' reviewers panned this while those on Amazon are more favorable. Harriet Klausner only gave four stars. Published by Tor last year and already hit the bargain bin. The story's description sounds intriguing enough to give it a try.
Abandoned after 75 pages. Writing was sub-par. The interesting dystopian world of dense fog had potential but the author didn't have the necessary skill to write a detective procedural. I believe the author was going for bleak, gritty, gumshoe noir. Needlessly wordy. Repetitious activities replayed constantly ... drinking, smoking, drugging, masturbating, wandering, reminiscing. I had enough. Edit:Rated F [1 star].

Next is What Angels Fear by C.S. Harris. A historical mystery set in 1811 England. My first with this author.

Last edited by Fbone; 05-01-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #16425
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
].

Next is What Angels Fear by C.S. Harris. A historical mystery set in 1811 England. My first with this author.
Just reading number four in that series. They are fun.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote