Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: February 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte 7 7.87%
Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë 8 8.99%
Sons and Lovers by D.H. Lawrence 6 6.74%
Lady Chatterly's Lover by D.H. Lawrence 4 4.49%
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon 4 4.49%
The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro 9 10.11%
A Civil Campaign by Lois McMaster Bujold 8 8.99%
A Room With A View by E. M. Forster 21 23.60%
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen 15 16.85%
The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway 7 7.87%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2011, 06:42 PM   #31
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
There's only a couple I haven't read, though most of them it's been 45 years or so. The Bujold and the Gabaldon I've re-read recently. I don't think I'm up for either Lawrence or Austin right now, so hopefully another will do well. I've not actually read the Forster, so this would be good incentive to read it.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:18 PM   #32
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Just 2 more days of voting! When do we "officially" start reading the winning book, the 29th (right after voting closes) or the 1st of February?
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:57 PM   #33
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I will probably read it as soon as I finish "Tick Tock". It's a pretty silly book so far. Not fun silly. Things keep blowing up, but the main character is a bit whimsy.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:50 AM   #34
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I think Room with a View might have it, so I'll slot it in my Kindle to start reading once I've finished my current book. Hope it's good.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:09 PM   #35
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Just 2 more days of voting! When do we "officially" start reading the winning book, the 29th (right after voting closes) or the 1st of February?
you can read it whenever you'd like. We "officially" open the discussion thread on the 20th. But, you can avoid it until you have finished the book if you'd like... or join in.... but watch out for spoilers.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:18 PM   #36
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
you can read it whenever you'd like. We "officially" open the discussion thread on the 20th. But, you can avoid it until you have finished the book if you'd like... or join in.... but watch out for spoilers.

BOb
Got it!

Hmm, my peeking at the discussion thread will depend on how impatient I am in wanting information. I've never been one to read the back of the book to see how things turn out, but I have read reviews, trolling for glimpses into the "future". Either way, I may actually start using the "Highlight" option on the Kindle to keep track of any discussion points.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:03 PM   #37
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
A Room With A View it is! I have just downloaded it from this site - my first time downloading from this site.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:06 AM   #38
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I'm glad Forster won as he is one of my favourites - but also a bit surprised of the book, as I wouldn't quite call it a romance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm wondering how anyone can vote for the author of one of the worst books ever written. E. M. Forster wrote A Passage to India. It was and is one of the worst books I've ever read. So reading another book by Forster would be akin to having cut one ear off and then going to cut the other off.
It's because you have no taste that you don't like it, Jon. I think Forster is too subtle for you
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:09 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I'm glad Forster won as he is one of my favourites - but also a bit surprised of the book, as I wouldn't quite call it a romance.

It's because you have no taste that you don't like it, Jon. I think Forster is too subtle for you
Nah! He just happened to write one of the top 10 worst books of all time. How it came to be called a classic, I have no idea. It's not a classic at all.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:54 AM   #40
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
so it's my first time joining this discussion, where do I download the book from? It will be fun to re read Room w/ A View
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:00 AM   #41
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
tponzo, you can get the free ePub download right here on MobileRead, uploaded by weatherwax. Have fun joining in the discussion.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:23 PM   #42
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've just started really. I always have a bit of a challenge with "quaint" language where meaning is only ever hinted at.

I do have a favourite quote so far though:

Quote:
"How can he be unhappy when he is strong and alive? What more is one to give him? And think how he has been brought up - free from all the supersition and ignorance that lead men to hate one another in the name of God."
'

I smiled when I read that.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:41 PM   #43
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Caleb, that was probably the only good passage in this stinker of a book. Unfortunately, the unbearable and intolerant little twit quickly goes right back to her prejudices. I equated Lucy with a Paris Hilton type.

Is this mess of a book supposed to be satire as well as social commentary? Where is the romance?
Old 01-31-2011, 10:46 PM   #44
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Caleb, that was probably the only good passage in this stinker of a book. Unfortunately, the unbearable and intolerant little twit quickly goes right back to her prejudices. I equated Lucy with a Paris Hilton type.Is this mess of a book supposed to be satire as well as social commentary? Where is the romance?
I think the point is that she changes.

I agree with you that it's not a romance. But I enjoyed the book and thought it a fine piece of literature.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:54 PM   #45
DixieGal
Hi There!

Maybe that's the problem. I gave up reading "literature" the day after graduation. Nothing but fun reading for the rest of my life. I think it ws that last semester when I had to do a last Victorian lit course that pushed me over the edge. My dislike for all things Jane Austen turned to hate. And this book struck a lot of those same nerves.