Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-14-2010, 10:35 AM   #16
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I am not sure if the flavor of Linux Kobo uses is compatible with FAT32.
I assure you that linux supports it as "vfat". In fact, linux is just a kernel.
Everything else you might call distribution. I never had any problem
mounting usb stick on either linux or bsd node. Fat misses many features
people like on ext or ffs file systems. I suppose it is on the reader for
compatibility reason.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:42 PM   #17
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I am not sure if the flavor of Linux Kobo uses is compatible with FAT32. Maybe one of the Linux gurus here can tell us a bit about that.
Well given the internal memory and SD cards are formatted for FAT16/32 which the Kobo reads your ebooks from it most certainly is supported. I suspect the ROM?? in the Kobo used to perform the firmware update doesn't have FAT16/32 support compiled in to save on space, or maybe it is overlooked. Then again, as the internal memory is FAT and doing the update through the desktop app succeeds.....

I guess that end of the day Kobo didn't anticipate people wanting to perform the firmware update themselves via SD card (or needed to) and opted for a more user friendly approach and having it "automated" through the desktop app.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #18
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
If I am remembering correctly, Sameer told us, shortly after 1.4 was released that it was the toughie--and that they did not anticipate that further updates would have similar problems. I also got the sense that they did not think 1.4 would be as difficult for people to do through the desktop application, though it seems to me that firmware changes and software changes are two very different things.

I've done my share of bios flashes on PCs. Usually they go well, but then again, not always. And does anyone remember how weird it used to get to install a new driver? I guess I am spoiled at this point what with my software updating itself willy-nilly and only needing me to uncheck the box that would let it install yet another toolbar.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:41 PM   #19
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I have been told by Kobo technical support that the next update will be a lot more easier to apply than 1.4. I guess we will see.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:27 AM   #20
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Well given the internal memory and SD cards are formatted for FAT16/32 which the Kobo reads your ebooks from it most certainly is supported. I suspect the ROM?? in the Kobo used to perform the firmware update doesn't have FAT16/32 support compiled in to save on space, or maybe it is overlooked. Then again, as the internal memory is FAT and doing the update through the desktop app succeeds.....
No problemos, segnior. Kernel supports it and it extends to whatever
file system you mount to the root. To the device it does not matter if
you speak of sd card or one of partitions on nand.

Quote:
I guess that end of the day Kobo didn't anticipate people wanting to perform the firmware update themselves via SD card (or needed to) and opted for a more user friendly approach and having it "automated" through the desktop app.
You count on that. I assume they were in panic when someone asked for
non-default upgrade. If they stood hard, they would lost customers, as I
saw it. Finally, guess what is the method without a single complaint.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote