Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #16
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
You can still do that???

EDIT: I mean, do the picture thing. I know about referrals, OBVIOUSLY.
I believe so, click on the Get free space link on your account page.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #17
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
It's not there. That's why I was wondering. I'd heard it was a short-lived promo while they were introducing the new feature to auto-sync photos from iOS camera roll and Windows My Photos.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #18
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't see it there either but that is because it is listed under bonus completed.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #19
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I signed up after the fact, and don't see it. I also heard it ended.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I just found the link. Use this link to sign up and we can both get more space.

https://db.tt/gYTseqy2
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2013, 09:17 PM   #21
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

I've had it for a while now. Look at MY sig.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #22
Ellachanted
Connoisseur
Ellachanted began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
It's not paranoia. Google Drive WILL destroy calibre's ability to use it.
Yeah, LOL! And I still messed up. I went and thought I was copying some stuff and moved it accidentally. I may need to create a new library and just add all the stuff from the various libraries with a do not add duplicates setting. I will need to experiment to see if it adds the metadata too.

Should be fun....
Ellachanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #23
Ellachanted
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Through referrels and the 3 gigs you can get by storing photos then removing them the amount available to Dropbox uses for free is around 22 gig. I think I am maxed out at 21.75 gigs.

It doesn't revert back and will expand by 5gigs for each person which you refer that signs up and installs the app or PC software. If you sign up with the link in my signature you start off with 20Gigs of space.

As you already have found out in post 2 you can not run a calibre library in Google drive without having your library destroyed.
I did use your link and now have the 20 GBs of space on Copy. I don't trust Dropbox. They gave me something like 40 GBs with my new tablet but it only was for a year. And then I think it reverts back to something like 3 GBs Or I have to pay. This was why I asked about Copy and how long the space lasts.

I don't like that they take it away.

I will try Copy to see how it works.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #24
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellachanted View Post
Yeah, LOL! And I still messed up. I went and thought I was copying some stuff and moved it accidentally. I may need to create a new library and just add all the stuff from the various libraries with a do not add duplicates setting. I will need to experiment to see if it adds the metadata too.

Should be fun....
Assuming you use the import from saved to disk library option (add books one book per directory, assume each file is the same book in a different format) to add the books, then all metadata in the metadata.opf (which calibre always creates and updates as a backup of ALL metadata, presumably for this exact reason, among others) will be added and the book formats will be added according to the filetypes in the folder. However, if you have (had, really) any custom columns, then you must first recreate them and THEN add, or the import will simply discard that data since it doesn't correspond to a known type of metadata, YET!
Old 11-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #25
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

If you build up enough referrals with Dropbox you can get more space, and I personally find the calibre2opds to be very useful. I'm pretty sure only Dropbox so far organizes things so the catalog's relative links remain valid, and if you're just backing up your library (and sharing it between different computers' instances of calibre) you probably don't care, but if you want to download individual books, like on a tablet, then it would be much easier like this.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:53 AM   #26
Ellachanted
Connoisseur

I created a new db in copy using my base library (create new library using current library format) and added all the stories in. It pulled in all the metadata except the stuff Google messed up. Not too bad. There were only around ten stories that didn't have the metadata.

So far I'm not liking Copy. It just freezes. I barely got share set up. So far I cant even search on it. I may try Dropbox for my reading list & see if that works. It will be much smaller than the whole library.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:07 AM   #27
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
I created a new db in copy using my base library (create new library using current library format) and added all the stories in. It pulled in all the metadata except the stuff Google messed up. Not too bad. There were only around ten stories that didn't have the metadata.

So far I'm not liking Copy. It just freezes. I barely got share set up. So far I cant even search on it. I may try Dropbox for my reading list & see if that works. It will be much smaller than the whole library.
Work on those referrals. Mobilize your friends. Give out ads. This is urgent now!!

Seriously, though. You should see how much extra space you can get just by displaying your referral in your sig, like me. I've gotten a few gigs already that way.

Your new tablet with the 40-gig dropbox reverted to 2 gigs because it was in the fine print. Referrals don't go away. How is that untrustworthy??
Old 11-15-2013, 02:44 AM   #28
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
So far I'm not liking Copy. It just freezes. I barely got share set up. So far I cant even search on it.
Copy is like every other sync software. When you put 5 gigs worth of books into it you should wait until it indexes all of the books and uploads those books to the cloud before you attempt to use calibre.

Additionally, you should pause syncing if you choose to edit books when your library is in Cloud, Dropbox, Sugarsync etc...
Old 11-22-2013, 01:37 AM   #29
Ellachanted
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Copy is like every other sync software. When you put 5 gigs worth of books into it you should wait until it indexes all of the books and uploads those books to the cloud before you attempt to use calibre.

Additionally, you should pause syncing if you choose to edit books when your library is in Cloud, Dropbox, Sugarsync etc...
The Copy folder on my desktop shows all the files in the library. But Copy.com just shows I've used 4 GBs but sits in the thinking mode. I can't actually look at it online. And it's been a week. It says it's synced. At least the Google search function works. Though it won't let me scroll through the entire library either. :P

I really question how well any of them work. And? For the purposes of sharing, Google is the easiest I've found.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:19 AM   #30
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
At least the Google search function works. Though it won't let me scroll through the entire library either.
I'm unfamiliar with Google search in reference to local files synced to the cloud.

Quote:
I really question how well any of them work.
I have had my calibre library in Dropbox for almost 4 years. It has saved me from myself on more than one occasion. I have also stepped on my own toes once or twice by leaving calibre open on more than one machine. I never loss any data, but I did have to understand the limits of the software and how they protect against data loss to quickly restore the library to where it should be.

Quote:
And? For the purposes of sharing, Google is the easiest I've found.
You may be 100% correct. For folks using Gdrive sharing to collaborate with other folks who use gdrive is as easy as it is between Dropbox users. If you aren't sharing to actually collaborate on a document then most all of the cloud services have a simple right click and share feature.