Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-18-2010, 05:37 PM   #181
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I guess my point is that being an intellectual doesn't require being well rounded IMO.

Well rounded is an adjective that could be added to describe some intellectuals in some cases.

Is a well rounded person more of an intellectual? Maybe--as long as they're not a jack of all trades who knows a little about everything but aren't an expert on anything--and thus stand no real chance of creating new knowledge, art etc.

Some of the great intellectuals making great advances in their field or for society as a hole probably don't branch out to much as they're workaholics and don't spend much time not working.

I think it's silly to say they're not an intellectual. They're just not a well-rounded intellectual. And I agree that it's a good thing for a person to be well rounded--so you're right that we're not very far apart--I just don't like the semantics of saying a person isn't an intellectual if they're not constantly working to be well rounded.

I spend most of my time on stuff in my field of research, but I read a variety of other stuff. A lot of the time it's crappy fantasy or something to veg out. But I do read a few classics a year, a few non-fiction/history/biographies, some philosophy etc.

I just don't think the light reading harms the intellect, I can tell what's quality and what's not. I know this Demon Wars series by RA Salvatore I'm nearly done with isn't very high quality--but it's entertaining!

I just like to read lighter stuff more often than not as any time for leisure reading is late in the evening after I've usually exhausted my intellect with work related reading, writing, data work/analysis etc for several hours. And I don't think that makes me less of an intellectual. I'm definitely less well-rounded that I could be, but again I want to have a life and enjoy entertainment and not spend every waking our developing my intellect. All work and no play.....

Edit: I'd also add that not all lawyers, bankers etc. are erudites, which I was focusing more on professors, researchers etc. Careers that involve learning and retaining knowledge, thinking critically about knowlege, building knowledge, creating knowledge, etc.

So yeah, I'd agree the average banker may not be an intellectual because of their job, but the average professor, researcher, medical doctor, scientist, inventor etc. is.

I think people like bankers, lawyers etc. are more likely to be intellectuals than say a plumber etc. just because of the level of education (and ability and interest in learning to get those degrees) makes them more likely to be a person that craves knowledge. But your right that those type of careers don't nearly guarantee it like the others I lised.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 02-18-2010 at 08:31 PM.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote