Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
Kindle NT firmware 4.1 impressions?

I just updated

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200774090

and tried the KF8 sample

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000729511

I hope to see lot's of books taking advantage of the new features, esp. svg for illustrations in technical books. Panel view is also cool.

I haven't noticed any change in clarity as suggested with the new font.

What's your impression?

Last edited by tovare; 06-04-2012 at 05:09 PM.
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
dukesilver
Connoisseur
dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
they they actually add a 4th font, or just improve the current fonts?
dukesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesilver View Post
they they actually add a 4th font, or just improve the current fonts?
Just an improvement. Font interface is the same.
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #4
Nushio
Nushio began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
I've been lurking the forums for a few weeks, but now that the 4.1 update was published, I feel like asking the obvious question:

Does this break kindle hacks? I replaced the screensavers on my Kindle 4 NT with some Game of Thrones screensavers and really don't want to lose that functionality :P
Nushio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
Weaselboy
Weaselboy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
This update also removed the wireless off/on setting from the main drop down menu. It is now in the settings page and is called "airplane mode." When you enable airplane mode a little airplane appears next to the battery level indicator.
Weaselboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2012, 11:38 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Mine just updated to 4.0.1. I was worried it was mess up the custom font I used but it didn't *phew* Once I reapply the font it works again.

I notice no difference in contrast Caecilla looks the same to me before and after update so back to my modified Amasis. I really think removing the on/off WiFi was a bad move.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:32 AM   #7
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
We will test what hacks are affected in the new K4 and K5 firmware versions, and make any changes needed, if needed. We need to get copies of the firmware images to study first...

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-05-2012 at 01:36 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #8
m2tts
m2tts began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I tried to update, but it failed and gave me error code u006 the first time. I figured it was because I had hacked for applying the screensavers. When I tried to remove the changes made for the screensavers I could no longer login as "root" into my kindle. I tried the update again anyway, but it failed with a different error message "u008".

Anyone else not able to update because of the screensaver hack?
m2tts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #9
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Mine just updated to 4.0.1. I was worried it was mess up the custom font I used but it didn't *phew* Once I reapply the font it works again.

I notice no difference in contrast Caecilla looks the same to me before and after update so back to my modified Amasis. I really think removing the on/off WiFi was a bad move.
I dunno, the on/off WiFi thing seems to be more in line with how people are used to setting cell phones in "Airplane mode" so I think we'd be used to it. I sort of like seeing a little airplane in the top now when the wifi is off.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #10
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
I tried all the sample files from the Amazon page showing off the new features for KF8, I'm impressed. Especially liked the children's book that highlights the ABC text as you hit the "Next" button to make it larger.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #11
ku8az
ku8az began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 (NT)
Yes, I had exactly same problem. Now I fortunately solved it. I had copies of dropbear* binaries in my /mnt/base-mmc/usr/bin and /mnt/base-mmc/usr/sbin so I removed them and update now works. Also I changed already my screensaver dir, but I don't think that it does matter on that.
ku8az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #12
voter101
voter101 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Is there any person, who can extract new fonts from this firmware?
voter101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #13
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
here's a link to screen caps and a discussion taken from Reddit

http://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comme...ore_and_after/

http://imgur.com/a/vMj2m#0
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Does firmware 4.1 have the same line height bug that firmware 5.1 has with KF8?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #15
m2tts
m2tts began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ku8az View Post
Yes, I had exactly same problem. Now I fortunately solved it. I had copies of dropbear* binaries in my /mnt/base-mmc/usr/bin and /mnt/base-mmc/usr/sbin so I removed them and update now works. Also I changed already my screensaver dir, but I don't think that it does matter on that.
Well I didn't use any jailbreaks to do the screensaver hack, so there shouldn't be any foreign files in the bin folders, but I can't go look into them anyway as the root password changed on me after I ran the update the first time.
m2tts is offline   Reply With Quote