Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-11-2012, 07:21 AM   #106
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
First time Boot slower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nila View Post
PS - wish there was some way to bring plugins to the front too.
If we had the shortlist bar back and could then pin plugins to it this would be ideal.
I could then instantly get to Sudoko whenever I fancied a game.
Right now it is hidden fairly deep in the reader
Yeah I liked the short list bar. It was a very important feature, as far as I thought of it. I did notice that the update killed my short lists. I have to go a reset them one at a time....
Other then that, the update is slower to process and boot into the system the first time. I found that after waiting a bit.. and not rushing into a factory reset the system booted fine.... My guess is the new update is busy processing things etc., and thats the reason for the slow boot.

Regards

JAck
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:08 AM   #107
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by TongueTied View Post
Could you please elaborate? How do you do this as everything I try to do, requires me to connect to a computer before I can do anything.
You'll have to set the device up completely once. After that, you can install the older firmware as described in the post that gets linked all over the place. Grab the firmware file, connect your Kobo to the computer without the desktop software running, unzip the firmware file to the .kobo directory on your Kobo, dismount and unplug.

Quote:
Again, how? The books on Kobo's site are all Adobe DRM so I can open them in Digital Editions but then what? If I try to download directly from Kobo, I get an acsm file which is just the license file. Is there some other software that will let me get hold of the file so I can put it on a card in order to side load it (I am assuming that is what you mean when you say "side load")?
Close the Kobo desktop software. Connect your Kobo to the computer. Open the .ascm file in Adobe Digital Editions. Drag and drop the book within ADE to your Kobo (ie, grab it by left-clicking and holding with your mouse, drag it over the Kobo entry in the left pane, making sure the entry gets highlighted, then release your mouse button). Dismount and unplug (in that order) the Kobo. Enjoy.

Last edited by JD Gumby; 07-11-2012 at 08:15 AM.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2012, 08:08 AM   #108
HubbaDubbaDubba
HubbaDubbaDubba began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
rolling back again...

Another update, another rollback.

The font tuning feature made my font of choice (Delima) unusable. Even the character spacing got messed up. I don't like how the homescreen got cluttered after 1.9.14. It was so simple and beatiful back then. I don't really care for shelves and don't keep thousands of books on my device anyway.

If anyone wants the 1.9.14 firmware, just PM me and I'll send you the link.
HubbaDubbaDubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #109
scoobertron
Connoisseur
scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I seem to recall that the 1.9.14 firmware allowed you to use the device without setting it up at all. This is what my Kobo reverts to after a factory reset. If you choose to skip the setup, you can just mount the device and sideload books without even setting up a kobo account.
scoobertron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:34 AM   #110
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I did factory reset in settings then installed KT Firmware 2.0. I then installed newly formatted SD card and side loaded about 1000 books onto SD card using Calibre. Ejected KT from computer disconnect SD cable but KT stilled showed connected screen. Minutes later powered off KT then powered on KT. Now instead of just showing spinning indicator that KT is busy got progress bar with caption updating KT. Progress bar is much better. Didn't take very long to update database.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #111
HubbaDubbaDubba
HubbaDubbaDubba began at the beginning.

Rollback hurdles

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbaDubbaDubba View Post

The font tuning feature made my font of choice (Delima) unusable. Even the character spacing got messed up. I don't like how the homescreen got cluttered after 1.9.14. It was so simple and beatiful back then. I don't really care for shelves and don't keep thousands of books on my device anyway.

Slightly annoying thing, but I couldn't rollback from 2.0 to 1.9.14 using the conventional method. I had to factory reset my device (bringing it back to 1.9.10), use kobo desktop to set it up and then, before ejecting after using kobo desktop, replace the upgrade files put by software (which would bring my kobo to 2.0.0 again) by the files used on 1.9.14.

Just so anyone facing the same problem knows.
HubbaDubbaDubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #112
lar3ry
Enthusiast
lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo WiFi and Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kianryan View Post
Under a kepub, Palatine displays and behaves fine.
Under a epub, the hinting disappears completely and the font is unreadable.

The irony is that the font appears perfectly fine when displayed in the font selection drop down on the epub. The problem occurs once its selected and applied.

There also appears to be some discrepancy with the application of stock fonts as well between kobo epubs and regular epubs. I've tried this with a range of epubs from various sources.

I've a feeling this will have something to do with the style formatting in the kobo epubs and its interaction with the new font-rendering, but I've not got a whole lot to go on bar my gut.
That's worth checking out. I am probably being overly paranoid when I think that the differences between kepubs and epubs are just another ploy to encourage book purchases from Kobo. They wouldn't do that, would they?

Naw...

Hmmm.
lar3ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:13 AM   #113
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Perhaps furture versions of Calibre will support shelves? Well, we could always hope.

Incidentally, I noticed a new table called ratings. I wonder if this is foreshadowing a future feature.
I suspect that the regular update of Calibre at the end of the week will implement a few new things for Kobo.

The ratings feature is nice. I have started using it. In your library, go to details and at the bottom you can add a rating.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:15 AM   #114
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
This seems to be a very good release, but I can't make out how to get the shelves. I have gone through the business of making a new shelf - give it a name, hit Next, select the appropriate books for that shelf, and at the end of the list I hit Create, which I assume is the appropriate thing to do. But then I can't find the shelf. When I hit Shelves, it just comes up with the screen saying New Shelf.

I'm probably missing something really basic, but would appreciate advice as I have spent quite some time trying to make it work.

Thanks in anticipation.
I had this too. I followed the advice at the begining of the thread and logged out and back in. It is like a factory reset without wiping out your side-loaded books and losing all your settings. I did however lose my book marks for side-loaded books.

Since then, I have been able to set up shelves.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:22 AM   #115
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
By logging out and back in, I'm assuming you mean more than just turning it off? (I tried that of course.)
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:25 AM   #116
nogle
Gangnam style!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
By logging out and back in, I'm assuming you mean more than just turning it off? (I tried that of course.)
Go to "settings" then "account". You can sign out of your Kobo account there.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:27 AM   #117
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Ah, thank you!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:31 AM   #118
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Dictionary Bug

When using the dictionaries I encounter a bug. Can someone confirm the behavior described below?

1. Select a word.
2. Hit Translate. English-French is selected.
3. Change the Dictionary to any other, e.g. English-German.

Problem: The Text stays English-French.

4. Hit the "back" arrow.
5. Select the word again. Text is changed to English-German.

Close the menu completely (including the lower bar with highlight etc.)

If you now select a word, it will be translated and the Kobo will remember your setting.

But if you don't close the menu completely again but directly select a word, it switches back to definition.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #119
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I updated one of Kobo readers (there are 3 in my household), and the reader side seems functional (no extensive testing).

However, update of Kobo desktop app running under Wine was not successful. The Kobo desktop application is not recognizing the reader (winecfg set to "Floppy drive" for that device), the app fails to sync with Kobo servers. I tried to reinstall, the version available on Kobo server is still the old one and attempts an update to 3.0 on first run.

Has anyone found a way to run new desktop app version under the Wine?
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #120
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbaDubbaDubba View Post

Oh no...that's the font I've been favoring lately...I was firmly in the Rockwell camp for a while.

(I'll wait a bit to try the update).
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote