Notices

Old 05-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
jedd
Enthusiast
jedd doesn't litterjedd doesn't litterjedd doesn't litter

Device: Pocketboot 360
Odd-behaviour on PDFs on 912

Greetings,

Wondering if others have seen this, and/or have a better answer to the problem.

I have a PDF - about 500 pages - mostly text, some modest number of images - about 13MB in size, so nothing too challenging for the device.

Using Okular (KDE's PDF viewer) it renders just fine on all pages.

On my PB 912 using either AdobeReader or pdfviewer (not that there seems to be much difference between these two applications) they fail to render some pages. It feels to be 4 or 5 pages (contiguous) out of each 20 or so. There's nothing special about them - some are full of text, some contain some small images. The page just comes up as blank on the PB. A few pages later the text comes back (and it *seems* to come back at the start of a new chapter (or page-break?)).

I tried the same file on my PB360 - same results, with the same pages failing to render.

The GNU/Linux utility 'pdfinfo' revealed the PDF wasn't optimised - so I ran the pdfopt utility, and tried the resultant file - same results again.

I've converted the file to fb2 using calibre, and the resultant file renders the previously missing pages just fine, but seems to lose the odd character (weirdly the second l (lower case L) in words that have double-l's), but renders all the previously missing content fine. Not an ideal solution - the reflowing has thrown around some of the layout.

Any hints or clues? I'm running 2.1.2 (but 2.1.3 changelog didn't hint at anything germaine to this problem) and I've not seen this on other pdf's.
jedd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
912, pdf