Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
Mumgod
Mumgod began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Books loading into document file

Hi

I have just bought a Fire and have loaded my books onto it with Calibre. However they are landing in the documents file rather than the Books file. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong or how to fix it?

Thanks

Mumgod
Mumgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:19 AM   #2
JustDennis
JustDennis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXi, Kindle Fire
Are you talking about the actual Document folder on the Kindle or do you mean they are going to the Documents listing instead of Books. If they are going to the documents sub-directory on the Kindle device, that is OK and is where Calibre puts them. If you mean they are showing up under Documents on the Fire instead of books, it is because Calibre is putting PDOC in Personal Documents tag under Mobi output options.

Go into the Output options in Calibre for MOBI, remove PDOC from the personal tag and reconvert the book. It will then show under books on the fire.
JustDennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
Mumgod
Mumgod began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Thanks Dennis, but I did as you suggested and removed the PDOC and they still load to the Docs file on the fire.
Mumgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumgod View Post
Thanks Dennis, but I did as you suggested and removed the PDOC and they still load to the Docs file on the fire.
Add ebok where the pdoc was. That should fix it. now keep in mine anything you send to your Kindle using email or Send to Kindle program will show in docs. You must sideload the books another way via USB, Dropbox...etc to get them to show up in books.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:23 AM   #5
JustDennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Add ebok where the pdoc was. That should fix it. now keep in mine anything you send to your Kindle using email or Send to Kindle program will show in docs. You must sideload the books another way via USB, Dropbox...etc to get them to show up in books.
Actually I send my books to the Kindle Fire with Calibre after removing PDOC all the time and they show under Books not Documents. They do go to the Document subfolder on the device but when you select Books from the touchscreen they show there not under Documents. After you remove the PDOC tag, you do have to reconvert the book in Calibre before sending to the Fire.

When I first got my Fire, I sent 234 books to it with Calibre and they each went into Documents. I deleted them from the device, removed the PDOC tag under Mobi output options and reconverted all of them. Then I sent to the FIre using Calibre. They were all in document subfolder on the device, just like on my DX but show up under books on the touch screen. Works well for me.

Last edited by JustDennis; 01-27-2012 at 07:30 AM.
Advert
Old 01-27-2012, 07:24 AM   #6
JustDennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumgod View Post
Did you reconvert the book and then send to the Fire? That always works on mine
Old 01-27-2012, 01:44 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDennis View Post
Actually I send my books to the Kindle Fire with Calibre after removing PDOC all the time and they show under Books not Documents. They do go to the Document subfolder on the device but when you select Books from the touchscreen they show there not under Documents. After you remove the PDOC tag, you do have to reconvert the book in Calibre before sending to the Fire.

When I first got my Fire, I sent 234 books to it with Calibre and they each went into Documents. I deleted them from the device, removed the PDOC tag under Mobi output options and reconverted all of them. Then I sent to the FIre using Calibre. They were all in document subfolder on the device, just like on my DX but show up under books on the touch screen. Works well for me.
Yes you can use Calibre to send books to your Fire via USB. I don't use this method. I use Save to Disk as I don't care for using USB if I don't have to. If you add ebok it will make sure it goes to Books shelf as some books are stubborn and removing just pdoc doesn't work sometimes.

I don't have this issue. I've never set my device profile as Kindle it's still on Hanlin V5 so all my sideloaded books go in Books. I also put my sideloaded books in the Documents folders. Makes it easier to find them.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:23 PM   #8
JustDennis

Quote:
I also put my sideloaded books in the Documents folders. Makes it easier to find them.
I agree. One of the reasons I just remove the PDOC and not add EBOK is so they go to the documents folder. They all my books loaded from Calibre are in the document subfolder and all the Amazon purchased ones go into the books subfolder. Both groups show under Books.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #9
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I have always converted to .mobi with Calibre's default of [PDOC] and my books appear normally on the bookshelf. I have made no changes. It is curious that others seem to be having a problem.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I have always converted to .mobi with Calibre's default of [PDOC] and my books appear normally on the bookshelf. I have made no changes. It is curious that others seem to be having a problem.
What profile are you using? I'm using Hanlin v5 so the pdoc never gets added. It only works if the Kindle profile is selected.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #11
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
What profile are you using? I'm using Hanlin v5 so the pdoc never gets added. It only works if the Kindle profile is selected.
Page Setup:

Output Profile: Kindle DX
Input Profile: Default Input Profile

MOBI Output:

Personal Doc tag: [PDOC]

When converted, my books appear on the bookshelf in the Fire. I must fall under the category of "Ignorance is Bliss."
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:57 AM   #12
Crono Blitz
Crono Blitz began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
Quote:
Ok I was able to get my ebooks over to my fire using glorious dropbox. But how do I get them to show up? I saw in another thread that you said you opened them with the kinda app. (I was going to ask there but I lost the thread creating my account.)

Did you have to sideload the kindle app as well to be able to do that?
Crono Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:13 AM   #13
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
You need the app File Expert installed on your Fire then you can load up any file from your internal storage folders and tell it which reader app to use to open the book file.

No the kindle app is already installed on the fire so no need to install but if you have an epub or other non Mobile / kindle fornat book you will need to sideload Aldiko or Mantano or another reader app that reads those format book files.

Last edited by salsaguy; 02-06-2012 at 03:13 AM. Reason: typeo
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #14
Crono Blitz
Crono Blitz began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
Using File Expert worked like a champ! Thanks salsaguy!
Crono Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:37 AM   #15
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
Glad it helped you out.
enjoy
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote