Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-27-2007, 04:00 PM   #1
mgwerner
mgwerner will become famous soon enoughmgwerner will become famous soon enoughmgwerner will become famous soon enoughmgwerner will become famous soon enoughmgwerner will become famous soon enoughmgwerner will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-500
Connect Software Update Killed my Program!

Greetings, All:

I've had my 500 for three months now, it was a gift from my fiance. I travel back and forth from Abu Dhabi to Alaska, and this little jewel has greatly cut down on my carry-on baggage weight!

Anyhow, I just updated the Reader software, as the program asked when I plugged in this evening. My Reader works fine, but the Connect software will not start. I have two icons on my desktop, and two programs in Program Files that refer to Sony Reader software. The original is Sony/CONNECT Reader/Data/bin/CONNECT Reader.exe. The new icon refers to Sony/Reader/Data/bin/eBook Library.exe. Neither will initialize. This occured immediately after the update, when the installer told me to unplug my Reader, and plug it back in once the program had started. It never did.

I have rebooted, and checked that there are no conflicts. Another curious thing was that my internet connection failed at the same time, and it took two reboots to get it back. Since I am using the hotel wireless setup I thought nothing of it, could be coincidence.

Any suggestions, anyone run across this issue? I'm good for a while, the reader is loaded, but in a month or so I will be needing to shuffle files.

Thanks for all the other advice and tips that have been posted here.

Michael
mgwerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 01:39 PM   #2
Zevs
Book lover!!
Zevs doesn't litterZevs doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader 505; Nowadays Stanza, Kindle, Txtr and Bluefire on iPhone
Hi Michael!

I had exactly the same problem (search in this forum for: Problems after updating connect software) The only way I could find out of it was de-installing the new version and re-installing the old version. After that I'm fine again, and as far as I know the update doesn't not really add anything important for the 500 owners

One extra frustrating thing was that I wrote to the Connect store twice about my problem, and they dind't even bother to reply!

Zevs
Zevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2007, 02:54 PM   #3
mgwerner
mgwerner will become famous soon enoughmgwerner will become famous soon enoughmgwerner will become famous soon enoughmgwerner will become famous soon enoughmgwerner will become famous soon enoughmgwerner will become famous soon enough

Thanks, Zevs. I read your previous thread, exactly my problem. However, I am in the middle east, and my install disc is in Alaska.....what to do? Would you have a link for the 1.1 version that you could post?

I have not done so yet, but did you uninstall both, then reinstall the latest update from the download, and not automatic? I was wondering if perhaps there is a conflict between the two under Vista....

Same issue with the CONNECT folks, no response.

Cheers!

Michael
Old 10-28-2007, 03:18 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can find version 1.1 over at http://www.jkwolf.com/CONNECT_Reader_Installer.exe
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:08 AM   #5
mgwerner

Thanks, Jon, I'll give it a try.
Advert
Old 10-29-2007, 11:14 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I hope it works again.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:59 AM   #7
mgwerner

Thanks Zevs & Jon, I am back in business. I'll keep the 1.1 for future re-use, since I don't have confidence Sony will correct the problem.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:32 PM   #8
Reiff
Reiff began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
MGWerner,

I had the same problem. In my case, the problem was Vista's Data Execution Prevention. If this is turned on in Vista, Connect Reader (or the newer eBook Library) software will not start. In 32-bit Vista, this is usually turned off. I think in 64-bit Vista, the default is on. To turn it off, go to Control Panel, System, Advanced system setting, Settings, Data Execution Prevention. Either turn off DEP or add an exception for the program (ie: C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader\Data\bin\eBook Library.exe).

Hope this helps!
Reiff is offline   Reply With Quote