Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 08-27-2011, 05:23 AM   #1
totob
totob began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
Converting scholarly articles

I spend an inordinate amount of my time reading scholarly articles on my ereader.
PDFs on eink are OK-ish, but not that great (no or bad reflow, formatting intended for printing, sometimes terrible choice of font, etc). I'd need to convert my article collection to epubs.
Converting from PDF to epub is notoriously finicky, so I'd like to convert the html available from the publisher's website, using a recipe to trim down the fat (headers, footers, generally useless crap), convert tables, and use a decent-resolution image for figures. From the GUI, I tried to use the newsreader interface to download and convert an article ; however (unsurprisingly, since it's how it was designed) it only accepts RSS feeds as an input. (or, am I missing something?) I nonetheless managed to download the page in question, but I ended up with raw HTML in my epub. Apparently, not the right approach...
I could use wget to download the page (and maybe the css files?), but I would need to do some additional processing to find which image files I need to download and incorporate - thus negating a big advantage of recipes. Another option might be to use web2disk to download the webpage + recursion to 1 or 2 levels, and then convert from html to epub?

So, to make a long story short: is there a way to use a recipe on a webpage that is not a RSS feed? Or another way to address my problem?
totob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
macpablus
Enthusiast
macpablus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.macpablus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.macpablus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.macpablus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.macpablus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.macpablus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.macpablus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.macpablus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.macpablus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.macpablus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.macpablus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3
Hello. Yes, there is, using the parse_index feature. See the recipe forTHE ATLANTIC as an example...
macpablus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2011, 05:40 AM   #3
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
or you can make your own rss with http://open.dapper.net/dapp-factory.jsp , https://feedburner.google.com/ ,...etc
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:27 AM   #4
markvdvelde
Connoisseur
markvdvelde began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
If the article is available in html on the publisher's website, use the "Send to Kindle" extension in Chrome to push it to your Kindle. Works like a charm!
markvdvelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
macpablus
Enthusiast
macpablus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.macpablus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.macpablus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.macpablus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.macpablus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.macpablus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.macpablus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.macpablus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.macpablus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.macpablus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.macpablus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by markvdvelde View Post
If the article is available in html on the publisher's website, use the "Send to Kindle" extension in Chrome to push it to your Kindle. Works like a charm!
That would be fine if he owns a Kindle, but he doesn't, I believe. :-(

Another (similar) option is to install a Firefox Extension called "Read it later", and use the recipe for it, that's built-in in Calibre.
macpablus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert