Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #1
Greg Cain
Greg Cain began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Library showing "File is not a zip file."

Hello There,

A few revisions of calibre ago I noticed that when I open most of my books, I get the error "File is not a zip file." I've copied the error message to the end of this post. One way I'm able to tell if the file is corrupt is the size shows as "<0.1". By that measure, ~1300 of my 1500 books are corrupt.

If I go to the directory the files are in, I can double click the epub file (most started life as epubs), and it will import into Calibre without any issue.

I'd rather not go through all my books and re-import them, as I will end up with two copies, under different directories, not knowing which is the good one and which is the bad one. Lastly, I'll lose all the metadata which I've tweaked.

Does anybody have a suggestion on a way to fix this issue?

Regards,

Greg Cain

calibre, version 0.8.21
ERROR: Could not open ebook: File is not a zip file

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/viewer/main.py", line 64, in run
File "lib/python2.7/threading.py", line 483, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/oeb/iterator.py", line 195, in __enter__
File "site-packages/calibre/customize/conversion.py", line 204, in __call__
File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/epub/input.py", line 138, in convert
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/zipfile.py", line 751, in __init__
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/zipfile.py", line 786, in _GetContents
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/zipfile.py", line 801, in _RealGetContents
BadZipfile: File is not a zip file
Greg Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Cain View Post
I'd rather not go through all my books and re-import them, as I will end up with two copies, under different directories, not knowing which is the good one and which is the bad one. Lastly, I'll lose all the metadata which I've tweaked.
When I recently reconverted all 9000+ books I had 1 corrupt file that I had to replace in my library from backup.

You might see what happens using the Quality check plugin. Use one of the Check epub features in the plugin. It should error on any corrupt file and hopefully provide you a list of those errors.

You might even ask Kiwidude in the Quality check plugin thread if a simple check epub integrity can be added as an option that would list any books that returned a "BadZipfile: File is not a zip file" error message.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert