Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-06-2012, 07:05 AM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Nexus 7 or Galaxy Tab 2 7"

I usually give advices here about which one to get ... ... but this time I am confused myself.

I really prefer or want the input of someone who already own a Nexus 7. And would be even better if the person had or replaced a Galaxy Tab 2 & 7 inches.

I bought the Galaxy 7" yesterday and while I do not fully regret that I wonder if I should return and get the Nexus instead.

The price of the Galaxy was really good, $249.00. That was the main reason for my purchase. However, the Kindle experience is not what I was expected. Lot of blank space all around the pages or margins and the resolution is not fantastic.

For a pure ebook experience, should I get the Nexus? I honestly do not care too much about the micro SD slot, but the IR control and HDMI output is a nice addition. I see myself using this as a replacement for my Kindle Fire though which is, reading.

Can a Nexus 7 user comment about the reading experience, landscape, using the Kindle for Android?

Thanks in advance...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
I have the Nexus, but have used both for reading and not noticed any difference between them

the kindle app works the same on both, you can adjust the margins so they are fairly small, landscape works fine, but I find 7" tablets a bit small when reading landscape mode

for just reading with, personally I dont think there is any difference between them
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:42 AM   #3
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
For a paper-book size font, both displays are almost the same.
However for smaller fonts like footnotes etc. higher DPI makes a huge difference.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #4
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Interesting comments.

I agree. At the end, I'll be using Kindle for Android.

I do have an iPad 2 though so i'm trying to use this as a Kindle Fire replacement, which is really portable.

Just wonder how good our bad the differences in display will affect reading experience.

I may order the Nexus and return the one I don't like? But I know myself and probably end buying both. That's what I'm trying to avoid.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
the Galaxy Tab 2 7" 16GB model is on sale at the Fred Meier store that I frequent for $219. I thought at first it must be the 8GB but I checked the settings menu and its definitely the 16Gb. Of course now that it s on sale and clearly to me a better deal than the nexus at that price my wife has decided she'd rather we get a 10" tablet.

short story- imo the Tab 2 is a better deal if you can get the 16Gb version for less than $249. If you want expandable storage and like the remote control feature and rear camera event he 8gb version is a better deal even if its abit over 200
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
the Galaxy Tab 2 7" 16GB model is on sale at the Fred Meier store that I frequent for $219. I thought at first it must be the 8GB but I checked the settings menu and its definitely the 16Gb.
Do you mean the Nexus 7? SGT2 only comes in 8GB.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 08-06-2012 at 09:33 PM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #7
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Nexus all the way. You have a more up to date hardware, and you're guaranteed timely software updates. And a pure Android experience. It's a no brainer.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:36 AM   #8
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Do you mean the Nexus 7? SGT2 only comes in 8GB.
Id swear its a 16gb model. Im sure it said there was 11somethign GB of memory still available on the internal storage. Ill go look again
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:20 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
Id swear its a 16gb model. Im sure it said there was 11somethign GB of memory still available on the internal storage. Ill go look again
There is indeed a 16GB Galaxy Tab 2 7". The 8GB model (which I have) is white; the 16GB model is silver.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:35 AM   #10
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There is indeed a 16GB Galaxy Tab 2 7". The 8GB model (which I have) is white; the 16GB model is silver.
That is correct, the one I bought is the silver one ...
Old 08-07-2012, 07:36 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
That is correct, the one I bought is the silver one ...
The 8GB model was fine for me, because I use an SD card for storage.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The US website only lists one model for the SGT 2 7.0, and it's 8GB. Where are the listings for the 16GB version?

And the colors mentioned; are they front and back? or just the back?
Old 08-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Front and back. I don't know about the US, but both models are on sale here in the UK.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Front and back. I don't know about the US, but both models are on sale here in the UK.
The US version is black in the front. I don't doubt the international versions, because they're frequently configured differently. It was the US version I was wondering about, since only one model was listed.

I'm heading to Fred Meyer later today, so I'll take a look to see what they have.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #15
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
The US version is black in the front. I don't doubt the international versions, because they're frequently configured differently. It was the US version I was wondering about, since only one model was listed.

I'm heading to Fred Meyer later today, so I'll take a look to see what they have.
Mine is black in the front and silver in the back.