Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #61
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
I don't actually feel called to educate the world about people with disabilities in a sweet, happy, gentle, cooing voice. Ableism is something that people need to educate themselves on, as with racism, sexism, classism, and any number of other subjects. I'm here to chat about ebooks and yes sometimes I get angry. That doesn't make me different from, oh, say, anyone else online.

I'm not going to be Mother Teresa in order to prevent people from saying that disabled kids are entitled and uppity for wanting to read Harry Potter. If zie feels that way, zie can own it.
And how is this approach working for you? You are angry and seem to be getting more angry. And you and your family are dealing with the same crap.

The more you shout, the less likely people are to listen. Most people are clueless about discrimination against people with disabilities. It is not something that is discussed in public. On occassion it is on the news but it is not something that most people think about.

We are raised with people discussing sexism, racism and the like. It is a part of the national dialogue. People are aware of it because we hear about it. So discuss ableism in a manner that leads people to learn something. But sarcasim and anger directed at people who are not meaning to harm or who don't understand the issue are going to get you no where.

It is your choice how you want to handle these issues. Most people ignore the angry posters on sites. You learn nothing and get no where so why bother reading? So now you are even more pissed off, your kids still cannot read Harry Potter as an e-book, and you have managed to make people think that you think you are entitled to whatever you want.

I don't buy for a second that you think you are entitled to anything. I don't think the desire for the e-books is off base. But you have managed to convince others in this thread the exact opposite.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #62
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGrama View Post
Greedy little princess.
I disagree with you; Capitialism .
Old 02-16-2012, 01:25 PM   #63
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
First of all, I am a guy.

Second of all, I taught middle school for over 10 years. So I have a clear understanding that people can have all sorts of disabilities that make reading difficult. Thankfully we live in an age where there is great awareness and understanding of these issues. In addition we also have technology that can help with many of these problems. However, that said do we expect the government to tell authors, publishers, etc. that they MUST release all books in all formats possible. Yes, I wish the Harry Potter books were available as ebooks. But it is her right to say, I'm not going to do that. It doesn't mean that she doesn't give a rat's butt about people with disabilities. I agree with you that not releasing the ebooks is a bad decision and is only encouraging pirating of the books. Fortunately, there are lots of other books that are available in ebooks, audio books, large print books, etc. that anamardoll and others can choose from.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #64
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
I apologize ahead of time for beeing slightly off topic, but I believe it needs to be said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I already said that I am hostile and provided a link to why that might be: Marginalization tends to grind one down. So, uh, you're reading me wrong.
I respectfully have to disagree that you come over as hostile. Yes sure, depending on wether or not you take offense as the reader. I have been victim before of taking a response personally and overreacting in replying hotheaded. As a safeguard I will wait to reply to a post that I thought was personally offending. 9 out of 10 times the 2nd or 3rd time reading it made it less aggresive. Sure if you apply a yelling voice with it and spit sputtering at you and veins popping open in the face, then you should take offense. Except for one thing, and that is the beauty or in this case curse of written words, the tone of voice and mood applied to it is created in your head with your own imagination. Not with the imagination of the writer.

A simple reply like:Oh, really? can be taken as Oh really, you dumbass, who the hell DO YOU think you are? or as Oh, really? That is a very interesting point of view.

Anamardoll, you are by far not as successful in offending as you think you are. After I read honky dory I automatically applied a high pitched very badly accented and fast talking voice. As in Peanut in Controled Chaos when he says: thankyouforcallinnngcustomersupport. And then I remembered you mentioned the disability a long time ago. Sorry for not thinking about it 24/7, but then I don't have to since I am lucky enough not having to deal with it all the time. In university a very close friend of mine was in a wheelchair. He did not think himself disabled, he just did things differently. Of course he knew that he had limitations, he was not dumb. He just had a good attitude about it. So I cannot say that I have no experience with disabilities.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #65
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
What's happened to the "Potter Story" and Sony ?
It's gorn all quiet lately - or did I miss the bells and whistles, and it's all now out there ?

The above is the original post of this thread and asked a simple question. The simple answer? Who knows for sure, other than they are not released as of yet and there is still the possibility of a first half of 2012 release. Unless one of us is JK Rowling, we really don't have an answer nor do we really know the reason for the delays.

Just like most threads on MR, they seem to take on a life of their own and move in other directions. This thread has done the same by moving into speculation, heated opinions, and personal attacks. Most of you know what our first response will be..

Moderator Notice
Please feel free to disagree with a person's opinions, or dispute their facts or data, providing you do so politely. Likewise, please address your criticisms to those opinions, facts and data rather than the person. Refer to MobileRead's Guidelines, specifically the full text of the very first item. When posting, your attention to the Guidelines is required.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #66
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
My apologies.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:35 AM   #67
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
First of all, I am a guy.

Second of all, I taught middle school for over 10 years. So I have a clear understanding that people can have all sorts of disabilities that make reading difficult. Thankfully we live in an age where there is great awareness and understanding of these issues. In addition we also have technology that can help with many of these problems. However, that said do we expect the government to tell authors, publishers, etc. that they MUST release all books in all formats possible. Yes, I wish the Harry Potter books were available as ebooks. But it is her right to say, I'm not going to do that. It doesn't mean that she doesn't give a rat's butt about people with disabilities. I agree with you that not releasing the ebooks is a bad decision and is only encouraging pirating of the books. Fortunately, there are lots of other books that are available in ebooks, audio books, large print books, etc. that anamardoll and others can choose from.
Analogies are never perfect, but I'll try one with this. Let's say that it's not about a book, but a brick an mortar shop. In front there are steps (pbook) that are fine for those that don't have disabilities, and a railing (audiobook) that helps those that have some trouble walking but it doesn't have a ramp (ebook). In this analogy you are saying two things: 1) you would also like to use a ramp because it is easier to climb than the stairs but you don't think that the shop should be required to have the ramp and 2) there are other shops that do have ramps, so those with disabilities have options.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:56 AM   #68
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
“Zie who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and zie who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool.”
Old 02-17-2012, 09:12 AM   #69
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
“Zie who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and zie who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool.”
Now that should be put into the forum rules. I like it.

Now to test your own theory on you: Was wondering about your name here on MR - does it mean you are actually Stuey and you are dealing your diapers away? I intended offence on this, so please don't be a greater fool. On a more serious note, I would actually like to know if and what meaning is behind your nick. I will even go first: My actual real nickname is Duckie, but that name was taken (no surprise) so I added my wifes nickname (Tigger) to it. I even have a tattoo on my leg of a duckie holding a tigger in its arms to prove it. Analog to this my wifes tat is a tigger holding a duckie. There you have it.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #70
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
It's not my theory, but I do try to employ it.

There's power in names.

And yes... there's meaning behind it (that has nothing to do with diapers), but that meaning is frivolous and personal—personal, in the sense that it just wouldn't mean anything to anyone else.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-17-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #71
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Analogies are never perfect, but I'll try one with this. Let's say that it's not about a book, but a brick an mortar shop. In front there are steps (pbook) that are fine for those that don't have disabilities, and a railing (audiobook) that helps those that have some trouble walking but it doesn't have a ramp (ebook). In this analogy you are saying two things: 1) you would also like to use a ramp because it is easier to climb than the stairs but you don't think that the shop should be required to have the ramp and 2) there are other shops that do have ramps, so those with disabilities have options.
Thank you, precisely.

Being effectively walled off from a major cultural phenomena because of a disability and a publisher's unwillingness to attempt to accommodate such is very frustrating and does tend to become a major sore spot with one. Being told BUT THERE ARE OTHER THINGS TO READ! (or, indeed, that there is an audiobook/railing to uselessly avail myself of) is exceedingly frustrating because (a) I do actually in fact know that, and (b) that isn't the point.

(And for the record, I still have not been able to read the later Harry Potter books because of weight issues. But when people ask in real life I tell them it's because I think the books are boring because I'd rather that than constantly telegraph how disabled I am, which tends to make my friends, employer, etc treat me differently. But when I go in for another major surgery this year, guess what I would like to have on my eReader but won't be? I know that you, Prof Crash, have said you've downloaded the books -- right? Or am I thinking of someone else? -- but I'm not personally comfortable with that. Different ethics. I've sent the books off to 1DollarScan, but they probably won't all be done in time.)

Hopefully this post won't sound hostile but rather sleepy and early-morning-y. Because that is in fact what I am at the moment.

ETA: As for ZOMG BUT YOU DIDN'T CONVINCE ANYONE as above --> If someone is going to suggest they know more about living with disabilities than the actual disabled person they are talking to because they once knew someone in a wheelchair (I'll bet they have a Black Friend, too!), I was never going to convince them of anything anyway. And it's not my job (or my intention) to constantly try. I have a limited number of spoons per day.

I don't want to be a Living Example To Teach Others. I'm Ana. I say stuff online. Sometimes it's useful, sometimes it's not. Are you any different?

Last edited by anamardoll; 02-17-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #72
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Also, I absolutely agree that it's Rowling's right and privilege to not release her books as eBooks.

I just also think it's my right and privilege to opine that means she gives f*** all about people with disabilities. Sorry if that offends people -- I'm sure she's a very nice person and I'd probably enjoy having tea with her. Except I don't like tea. But I like cake, so there's that.

ETA: And to actually stay on topic, I will note that I was amused to see @1DollarScan tweet yesterday about how many #HarryPotter books they're receiving to be scanned.

https://twitter.com/#!/1dollarscan/s...90289007788032

Last edited by anamardoll; 02-17-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #73
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
(And for the record, I still have not been able to read the later Harry Potter books because of weight issues.[/URL].
I have a friend who's unable to hold large heavy books because she has severe arthritis. What she does it to take a kitchen knife to them and cut them up into 3 or 4 sections which are of a weight that she can manage.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:14 AM   #74
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have a friend who's unable to hold large heavy books because she has severe arthritis. What she does it to take a kitchen knife to them and cut them up into 3 or 4 sections which are of a weight that she can manage.
That's a very interesting idea.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #75
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I used to know someone who did that too. If it ended up being a book he wanted to keep & thought he'd re-read he had them re-bound into 2-4 book sets.
Closed Thread