Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-12-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
What does George R.R. Martin and Android have in common?

Yeah I don't know either but apparently Google thinks they do.

Google interviewed George R.R. Martin for their Authors@Google series

They've even made a special shirt for this event image below.

I'm such a nerd, I actually want one of those shirts (link)

Apparently he is also uses an ereader here is a quote from the text

Quote:
After the talk, I was able to chat with Martin a little about ebooks. The author says he carries his e-reader with him now whenever he travels, whereas in the past, he would incur overweight baggage charges because of the 10 or more physical books he would inevitably bring along. But he was also concerned that digital piracy might do to the book industry what it did to the music industry.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-emcZOzfW6i...rge_iriver.JPG

below is the streaming video
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:17 PM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
A few letters?
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
But he was also concerned that digital piracy might do to the book industry what it did to the music industry.
Increase sales?
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:47 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
Increase sales?
Help prop up an industry in decline?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
What does George R.R. Martin and Andoid have in common?
They both like lemon cakes and turtles?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:32 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Help prop up an industry in decline?
Ha ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
They both like lemon cakes and turtles?
I'm thinking George likes lemon cakes a little more... that's just my guess.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:11 AM   #7
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kobo Touch
I don't know... turtles can be quite fattening.
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #8
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I'm wildly curious as to what ebook reader he uses!
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:40 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm wildly curious as to what ebook reader he uses!
Considering that he writes his novels using Wordstar on a Commodore64 (and no, I'm not making that up at all), I doubt he uses an ereader.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:32 PM   #10
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Considering that he writes his novels using Wordstar on a Commodore64 (and no, I'm not making that up at all), I doubt he uses an ereader.
Considering he stated in the interview that he does, I would say that he does use an e-reader.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:35 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Considering he stated in the interview that he does, I would say that he does use an e-reader.
That's just good P.R.
He may own one, but I'll never believe he actually uses it to read entire novels.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:54 PM   #12
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
And the problem with that is??? If something works fine for you then why change it until you have to? "If it ain't broke then don't fix it" and "KISS" are still valid especially in this case when an author is more concerned with getting words on screen/paper than using the latest "Gee whiz" that doesn't contribute a thing to the writing process...

Last edited by elcreative; 08-14-2011 at 02:21 PM.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:19 PM   #13
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
I wish I'd kept my C-64 around-loved that computer!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:04 PM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative
And the problem with that is??? If something works fine for you then why change it until you have to? "If it ain't broke then don't fix it" and "KISS" are still valid especially in this case when an author is more concerned with getting words on screen/paper than using the latest "Gee whiz" that doesn't contribute a thing to the writing process...
The problem is the extra custom conversion process necessary to get it into a format that the publisher can even begin to work with.

Quote:
I wish I'd kept my C-64 around-loved that computer!
I still have one that works.
It was fun the last time I hooked it up, but that warm, nostalgic glow tends to wear off quickly.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:30 PM   #15
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
The problem is the extra custom conversion process necessary to get it into a format that the publisher can even begin to work with.

I still have one that works.
It was fun the last time I hooked it up, but that warm, nostalgic glow tends to wear off quickly.
But that isn't George's problem, it's the publisher's... George isn't some new author desperate to get into print, he's a successful long time author of many books... if the pub doesn't like how he presents his work, tough, they want to keep him on their lists... it'd be disastrous for a new author to try using many years old tech in this way but if George is happy then so are his publishers...

I've still got a C128 which I got to replace a C64... occasionally handy when someone digs up an antique CP/M disk...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, author, fantasy, google, martin