Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-21-2008, 08:08 PM   #16
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingston View Post
A friend of mine just ordered the ETI-1, even though it is supposedly not available. It uses .imp as its native file and has color. It is the next gen from your unit. He paid $400 for it. Send me a message and I will have him contact you, or perhaps add to this thread.
Can you ask him where he bought it? For $400 I might get one.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:53 PM   #17
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Can you ask him where he bought it? For $400 I might get one.
He bought it from this lady:

Jeanne
jc@eBookTechnologies.com

(Edited: My friend wants to check with Jeanne if she is OK with sharing her last name and phone numbers, will repost if OK.)

To my eyes the ETI-2 seems to be the same as the 1150.

Here's their page: http://www.ebooktechnologies.com/devices.htm

Here's a portion of the email he had with her which he shared with me:

"Thank you for your order, . I’ll get it in process, and it will likely ship out on or around Wed March 26th. Order summary: one ETI-1 $400 , one ETI-2 with 64Mb Smart Media card $100, shipping and handling $7.50, total $507.50. It will ship via FedEx, and when it ships, I’ll get the tracking number, which I’ll forward to you via email. I’ll also see what I can do about including a small Compact Flash card for the ETI-1.

Thank you! my contact info is below, and I’m in the pacific time zone."

Nate, I've ordered a Windows laptop and will be asking for your help on the topic we discussed privately. OK? Fair trade?

Last edited by Kingston; 03-21-2008 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Personal data removed until approved by seller
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:17 PM   #18
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Nate, I've ordered a Windows laptop and will be asking for your help on the topic we discussed privately. OK? Fair trade?
Okay.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:22 PM   #19
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
you will tell us all about it, if you get one, right ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:40 AM   #20
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Nice picture, we have this device in the wiki as the REB 1200. It is also discussed from time to time in the section of the ebookwise subforum. It has very knowledgeable people on the REB1200 which is the same as this unit.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 01:21 AM   #21
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Nice picture, we have this device in the wiki as the REB 1200. It is also discussed from time to time in the section of the ebookwise subforum. It has very knowledgeable people on the REB1200 which is the same as this unit.

Dale

I've done some searching around the forum and can't locate the wiki.

Could you provide a link to it?

thanks
Old 03-22-2008, 03:37 AM   #22
Kingston
Addict

Quote:
I've done some searching around the forum and can't locate the wiki.

Could you provide a link to it?

thanks
Found it with a little searching:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/REB_1200
Old 03-22-2008, 11:49 AM   #23
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Found it with a little searching:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/REB_1200
Great, there is lots of good data on the wiki. It can be your first choice for any questions on eBook. If you can't find it there then ask in the forum and its likely to be added. If you go on the top line of every page you will find wiki just beside fourms.

Dale
Old 03-22-2008, 11:50 AM   #24
LeserattePD
Enthusiast
LeserattePD doesn't litterLeserattePD doesn't litter

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You don't have to move your hand. If you hold the CyBook in your right hand, your thumb naturally falls over the button.
If you hold it in your right hand... I like to switch hands because when I read and have the time I read for hours. One of the things I absolutely love about the ebookwise 1150 is the ease of switching hands/screen orientation.
LeserattePD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 11:56 AM   #25
LeserattePD
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Any updates on this? I've already decided to get the Sony, because of various promotions I'll end up paying about US$150.00 for it, comparable to the price of the eb1150. But if they are working on an e-ink version, with touchscreen navigation, that might represent the new state of the art. I know you're in communication, come on, spill it.
The main reason against the Sony is that I bet they don't have the few books I absolutly have to get even in secured format in their shop.

Thats one of my gripes with ebooks in general - when will they get around to a standardised format? Atm it's like saying you can only listen to mp3 files if you have an ipod and if you want to listen to a .wav you need to get an IRiver player.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:06 PM   #26
LeserattePD
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack B Nimble View Post

Surprisingly, I was also not satisfied with the battery life on the Sony. What I did not realize is that I charge my eb1150 after I use it, then leave it lying around for a few weeks at a time, come back when I have need and read for most of a weekend, or a plane ride -- it was ready to go. Since the Sony did not actually turn off, the two times I did this with the Sony, it was nearly dead when I picked it up, and I had to charge it before I could use it. I understand there is a hack to actually turn it off, but given my mixed feelings about it otherwise, I was not willing to mess with it. In fairness, I should say that when I used it with a fresh charge, the battery life was every bit as wonderful as everyone says. I don't know if the Cybook sleeps or turns off.

Jack

Yeah I was worried about the whole "you can't read while it's charging issue" and "it's never completely turned off" with the e-ink readers. Not sure if they've fixed that now. I often read my ebookwise while charging and at my light settings I used to get about 14 hours of use out of a charge. Looks like my battery is getting old though, because lately it doesn't last that long anymore. No wonder after nearly three years of heavy use (prob average of 2-3 h per day).

The main problem for me really is that I can't just plug the charger in here in the UK, I have to lug around this big converter.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:16 PM   #27
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeserattePD View Post
If you hold it in your right hand... I like to switch hands because when I read and have the time I read for hours. One of the things I absolutely love about the ebookwise 1150 is the ease of switching hands/screen orientation.
My camera has a sensor inside that knows when I rotate the camera. It would be nice, in the next generation, ETI device is such a sensor could be employed to automatically redo the buttons when you rotate it 180 degrees.

Dale
Old 03-22-2008, 12:18 PM   #28
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yeah I was worried about the whole "you can't read while it's charging issue" and "it's never completely turned off" with the e-ink readers. Not sure if they've fixed that now. I often read my ebookwise while charging and at my light settings I used to get about 14 hours of use out of a charge. Looks like my battery is getting old though, because lately it doesn't last that long anymore. No wonder after nearly three years of heavy use (prob average of 2-3 h per day).

The main problem for me really is that I can't just plug the charger in here in the UK, I have to lug around this big converter.
The charger can be replaced. There is a thread in the ebookwise subforum on this topic. You need a charger that will supply 12 Volts at 1 amp.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:46 PM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Yeah I was worried about the whole "you can't read while it's charging issue" and "it's never completely turned off" with the e-ink readers. Not sure if they've fixed that now.
The "never switches off" thing is specific to the Sony. All the other eInk devices genuinely switch off. Even the Sony can be via a menu item.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:25 AM   #30
LeserattePD
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
The charger can be replaced. There is a thread in the ebookwise subforum on this topic. You need a charger that will supply 12 Volts at 1 amp.
Thanks for the tip! I've been lugging around a voltage adapter to plug the charger into! Didn't have any idea that there were UK chargers with the right output/plugs.

Hmm that definitly makes buying a new ebookwise a serious option. Guess I'll have a look at the Sony reader once it's available here in the UK, just to see how much I'd love the e-ink screen and then decide between the Cybook and another ebookwise.