Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Gadgets are no longer just for geeks...
...but also for nerds and dweebs. 1 16.67%
...but also for the less geeky crowd. 5 83.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-06-2005, 08:43 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Gadgets are no longer just for geeks...

Before Microsoft chairman and chief software architect Bill Gates gave his key note speech (thanks to Doctorow for the link) yesterday at the CES, NBC TV network's Conan O'Brian said something that made me chuckle:

The theme of this year is that gadgets are no longer just for geeks. That's right, look around you ... they are also for nerds and dweebs.

Let's think about this for a second. Consider what Apple has achieved with its iPod music player, this little device that enables users to download up to 10,000 songs into a sleek white and silver rectangular device, slimmer than a pack of cigarettes. Apple managed to get rid of a nerdy stereotype and to attract in no time a less geeky crowd with very advanced technology.

Really, is it still the techno-loving geek -- the kind of person who goes to great length to be the first to try out something new, whether hardware, software, or gadgets, the kind who goes into seclusion for days when a coveted new gadget arrives -- who is mainly driving the gadget market today?

This post is also a poll, so make sure to give your vote!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 09:09 AM   #2
Gatton
Groupie
Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021, assorted Fire tablets.
Of course they're for the less geeky. Just look at devices like the Tivo. A personal video recorder? The interface is so brain-dead easy to use that any non-geek can use it and love it. The VCR was already stodgy and non-geeky when the Tivo came around but how many people bothered to program it to record a future program? Ok I did but it was always a hassle even when the on screen menus came out.

The ipod of course is the same idea. Take something technical and put an easy to use interface on it and anyone can use it. My cousin is brilliant but he's about a decade older than me and for whatever reason the computer revolution passed him by. He's not technical at all but I saw him pick up an ipod and within seconds was moving about and selecting songs to listen to.

Being a geek I sometimes like technology for technology's sake but I wouldn't mind a nice Star Trek wrapper around the tech. "Computer...General Tso's Chicken...no broccoli...hot!"
Gatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert