Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #46
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I just use Audacity's silence finder to split up the audio books into chapters.
Wow that would take forever. As Audacity has to encode the mp3 if I remember right. I use splitters because it take under a minute to get it all split up. It's not by chapters but I just really need a smaller file. I split a 12 hour book by 3 hours a piece. It works well for me.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #47
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
How are the speakers on that case? I have considered getting one a couple of time, but have been burnt on speakers that small more than once.
They aren't really small. I will take some pics and PM them to you if you want to show the case size versus the Clip. They as good as a personal radio I would say. About the same you would find on your cell phone but a little better seeing there is two instead of one.
Advert
Old 11-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #48
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Since you guys are talking iPod alternatives, I have a question. I was thinking of getting my 7 year old an inexpensive mp3 player for Christmas. Not that she has asked, but right now she has a Barbie CD player and she knows that it sounds terrible. It seems... wrong to me for someone of her generation to build up a CD collection. Antiquated. Seems like it would be better to have an mp3 player and a speaker or speaker dock. We are an Apple family but I would rather get something less expensive for her.

So my questions. If I get a non-Apple mp3 player, how hard is it to manage the music? All I have to do is figure out where on my computer my mp3s actually are, and then drag them onto the player? My music comes from iTunes, Amazon, and my own ripped CDs. Is the interface on these little players, like the Sandisk clip zip, easy enough for a child to navigate?

Thanks,
eP
If you going to look at MP3 player and doing the Black Friday deals you might want to take a look at the Samsung Galaxy player 3.6 for $100 at Best Buy. It's the size of a normal cell phone and I think the interface is really easy. It's an Android Device so it plays more than music but that is it's main purpose.

Last edited by Blossom; 11-10-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #49
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Wow that would take forever. As Audacity has to encode the mp3 if I remember right. I use splitters because it take under a minute to get it all split up. It's not by chapters but I just really need a smaller file. I split a 12 hour book by 3 hours a piece. It works well for me.
Well, it certainly takes more than a minute!

I'm kind of a nut about having each chapter as a separate file, though.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #50
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
They aren't really small. I will take some pics and PM them to you if you want to show the case size versus the Clip. They as good as a personal radio I would say. About the same you would find on your cell phone but a little better seeing there is two instead of one.
Thx. I was more concerned with sound than physical size. Do you have a Kindle Fire (any model) or DX to compare it to? Or one of the other Kindles with sound?
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2012, 04:12 PM   #51
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Thx. I was more concerned with sound than physical size. Do you have a Kindle Fire (any model) or DX to compare it to? Or one of the other Kindles with sound?
I have the Kindle Fire from last year. No where near that sound but you could compare it to Cell phone speakers..Maybe a little better than that. You remember the baby boom boxes that were so popular. I bought it to replace mine that had died. It sounds about the same.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #52
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Thanks for the Black Friday threads, Tubemonkey.

I'm happy to see the deals on the Sansa Clip Zip mp3 players; I need a purple one!
I've got a purple Clip+ and purple earbuds. Every other electronic toy I have bought has always been basic black. I LOVE my purple!!
The red Clip zip is pretty too. I do have some red earbuds.......
(my husband may shoot me!)
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #53
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
I've got a purple Clip+ and purple earbuds. Every other electronic toy I have bought has always been basic black. I LOVE my purple!!
The red Clip zip is pretty too. I do have some red earbuds.......
(my husband may shoot me!)
S
I want orange! I find the Blue is hard to see sometimes and I nearly lose it. A bright color is better because it's so small.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #54
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Finally! I knew I had seen this somewhere, been looking for it for half an hour. Don't ya hate it when you know you have seen something but can't find it for the life of ya?
http://www.facebook.com/SDSansa
That is a link for new colors coming for the Clip+. I don't know if there will be new colors for the Zip or not, haven't seen. I love my Clip+ still, use it all the time.
I really wish they would come out with a pretty green. I love green.
S
Old 11-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #55
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
Finally! I knew I had seen this somewhere, been looking for it for half an hour. Don't ya hate it when you know you have seen something but can't find it for the life of ya?
http://www.facebook.com/SDSansa
That is a link for new colors coming for the Clip+. I don't know if there will be new colors for the Zip or not, haven't seen. I love my Clip+ still, use it all the time.
I really wish they would come out with a pretty green. I love green.
S
Me too! My only problem with the Clip+ is the SD Card sticks out a little bit. If they fixed that I would probably use it more. The Zip does not have this problem.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #56
silverraven
Guru

Quote:
Me too! My only problem with the Clip+ is the SD Card sticks out a little bit. If they fixed that I would probably use it more. The Zip does not have this problem.
Yes, it does. I wish they would fix it too! On my purple one I just don't use a card. It is for audio books, so I don't need that much room. On my two black ones I have silicon covers on them. They are just thick enough to make up for the sd card sticking out. They are for music so I need more room on them.
It's not a perfect solution, but since I got them before the Zips came out, and they are working great still, I'll hold off on getting anything else for now.
But that red Zip sure is pretty!!
S
Old 11-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #57
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
I'm in the market for an MP3 player but I'm a little confused by the Clip+ and the Clip Zip; what is the difference?

I just want something that'll play music, audiobooks (including those from Audible) and podcasts, and that is memory-expandable.
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:59 PM   #58
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
I'm in the market for an MP3 player but I'm a little confused by the Clip+ and the Clip Zip; what is the difference?

I just want something that'll play music, audiobooks (including those from Audible) and podcasts, and that is memory-expandable.
The Clip Zip is the newest model and has a color LCD screen. It has a few more options and for Audiobooks is the better of the two. You can customize the menu and hide the other options so you can get to your books right away.

The Clip+ has a smaller screen and is blue LED and you have to scroll to get the Audiobooks section of the player.

Last edited by Blossom; 11-10-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #59
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
The Clip Zip is the newest model and has a color LCD screen. It has a few more options and for Audiobooks is the better of the two. You can customize the menu and hide the other options so you can get to your books right away.

The Clip+ has a smaller screen and is blue LED and you have to scroll to get the Audiobooks section of the player.
Thanks Blossom! This is helpful. For some reason, I thought the Clip+ was the newer model

I'll get a Clip Zip then (maybe two, because hubby will want to borrow mine too often, like he does my current Sansa player). I want to get a 32GB memory card also; will this one do?
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #60
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
Thanks Blossom! This is helpful. For some reason, I thought the Clip+ was the newer model

I'll get a Clip Zip then (maybe two, because hubby will want to borrow mine too often, like he does my current Sansa player). I want to get a 32GB memory card also; will this one do?
It should work fine. I too stay with same brand names. I've had no issues that way. Not a bad price either.

My hubby tried to borrow my Samsung Galaxy Player. I told him no way. The whole I bought it with my money didn't slide with me. It was a gift so he can't call dibs. Besides he is rough on devices and when I told him so. Well I guess I got put in the dog house. He wont talk to me.