Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Firmware 3.0.1 and margins

I have 2.5.1 installed on my Aura HD in order to maintain the narrowest margins possible on the bottom and, specifically, the top. Might someone be able to report on the current version (3.0.1) as it applies to the increased margins that resulted in prior versions?

I'd like to update but not at the expense of losing valuable space.

Thank you.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Depending on the book, the margins are pretty narrow.
A bit too narrow on the HD for me in fact. Not sure if they have changed though, my current book is flush with the top, flush with the sides and no big margins at the bottom.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I have 2.5.1 installed on my Aura HD in order to maintain the narrowest margins possible on the bottom and, specifically, the top. Might someone be able to report on the current version (3.0.1) as it applies to the increased margins that resulted in prior versions?

I'd like to update but not at the expense of losing valuable space.
On 3.0.1 with Metazoa's ReadingFooter patch, I see very minimal margins around the entire screen.

I seem to remember that 2.5.2 was the version in which epubs got the wide header similar to .kepubs. That wide header disappeared in the next firmware release. Otherwise, for epubs, the top and side margins have been pretty minimal.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #4
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you very much for your replies.

@speakingtohe - Helen, this is what my display looks like now (and prefer to keep).

@DNSB - David, I do recall the wide header problem appearing with 2.5.2. Happy to hear that has been resolved. On a side note, I was somehow able to eliminate the Sync tile on the home page (with 2.5.1) thanks to instructions here on MR some months ago but cannot remember the required steps. Is it possible to accomplish this with 3.0.1 or will I be stuck with a Sync tile even though I never connect to Kobo?
Old 11-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:

@speakingtohe - Helen, this is what my display looks like now (and prefer to keep).

@DNSB - David, I do recall the wide header problem appearing with 2.5.2. Happy to hear that has been resolved. On a side note, I was somehow able to eliminate the Sync tile on the home page (with 2.5.1) thanks to instructions here on MR some months ago but cannot remember the required steps. Is it possible to accomplish this with 3.0.1 or will I be stuck with a Sync tile even though I never connect to Kobo?
You can remove the sync tile by using the kobo utilities plugin or by backing up your current database and copying it back if the sync tile reappears.

My sync tile disappeared on it's own for some reason, and only came back with a Kobo sync. I quickly removed it again It has never shown up when I sideload firmware.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2013, 11:39 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

The database edit to remove the sync tile still works. Or as Helen suggested, you can use davidfor's KoboUtilities plugin for Calibre. This allows you to remove quite a few varieties of tiles and set a database trigger to keep them from coming back. That plugin also has several more features such as database backup, database shrinking and database error checking which make it (in my opinion) a must have for any Kobo/Calibre user.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:23 AM   #7
Skydog
Wizard

Thank you again, Helen and David. I must have edited the database, now that I think about it. The plugin, however, seems to be the best method as you suggest.

Many thanks for your replies -- they are very much appreciated.