Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-22-2011, 04:28 AM   #16
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by minhhale View Post
After I got the "3" error, I installed NiLuJe's 0.4.N jailbreak. Still not working, still U007 error, still 3.1.

Looks like it's a long way to go before 3.1 can be defeated
Why do you install NiLuJe's 0.4.N jailbreak ? It doesn't work on 3.1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minhhale
I installed Yifan Lu's jailbreak, successful.
And THAT's all, folks. Your Kindle should be jailbroken.
Or do you have any troubles installing/uninstalling hacks now ?
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:35 AM   #17
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
@ RexGalore: I was on 3.0.3 and have gone with uninstall hacks, uninstall jailbreak, update to 3.1, install new jailbreak, re-install hacks. That makes for lots of rebooting but all went well

Thanks yifanlu

@ minhhale: I'm confused as to why you tried to install NiLuJe's jailbreak as well as yifanlu's? On 3.1 you need yifanlu's jailbreak and then you can install the screensaver and font hacks from NiLuJe but not his jailbreak.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 04:38 AM   #18
Tarr
Tarr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Hey all I just got my Kindle last week and of course the first thing I had to know was if I could remove the horrid savers and get my other fonts. Mine came with 3.1 firmware and I was quite sad. On a whim I thought to check again today and bam! Took me finding this thread and the wiki for the font/savers for the kindle 3 and 5 minutes and I am now quite happy to report I am looking at my own screenies and fonts! Thanks a ton, you are lifesavers!
Tarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:46 AM   #19
minhhale
minhhale began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
And THAT's all, folks. Your Kindle should be jailbroken.
Or do you have any troubles installing/uninstalling hacks now ?
Oh... Okay, I installed Yifan's jailbreak, then to NijuLe's screensaver hack and everything is working fine now. Major embarrassment
minhhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:48 AM   #20
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Could I just check whether this will work for me - I installed 3.1 with the NiLuJe jailbreak and screensaver hack still in place, so I can't now remove them. Can I just use yifanlu's new jailbreak to open up for hacks once more?

What I mean to say is, because I am on 3.1 and still have the old jailbreak and hacks in place, am I safe to go ahead and allply the 3.1 jailbreak?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 04:51 AM   #21
RexGalore
Connoisseur
RexGalore doesn't litterRexGalore doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
[Edit] nwm. Had already been adressed... :-S [/Edit]
RexGalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:54 AM   #22
RexGalore
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
@ RexGalore: I was on 3.0.3 and have gone with uninstall hacks, uninstall jailbreak, update to 3.1, install new jailbreak, re-install hacks. That makes for lots of rebooting but all went well

Thanks yifanlu
Yeah, I guess that's the safest route to go. I was just wondering if I could cut some corners and speed it up a bit.

Will just be so many reboots and then getting everything back to normal... me = lazy...
Old 02-22-2011, 05:06 AM   #23
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Could I just check whether this will work for me - I installed 3.1 with the NiLuJe jailbreak and screensaver hack still in place, so I can't now remove them. Can I just use yifanlu's new jailbreak to open up for hacks once more?

What I mean to say is, because I am on 3.1 and still have the old jailbreak and hacks in place, am I safe to go ahead and allply the 3.1 jailbreak?
Yes, you are. The old jailbreak is no obstacle, it has zero effect (positive or negative) on 3.1.
The hacks don't do anything with the keys, so it's safe to install yifanlu's new jailbreak.
There's one exception though: The 'Updates Provider' hack. You have to uninstall it before installing the jailbreak (use version 0.2 uninstaller).

Last edited by dsmid; 02-22-2011 at 05:11 AM.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:13 AM   #24
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
Yes, you are. The old jailbreak is no obstacle, it has zero effect (positive or negative) on 3.1.
The hacks don't do anything with the keys, so it's safe to install yifanlu's new jailbreak.
There's one exception though: The 'Updates Provider' hack. You have to uninstall it before installing the jailbreak (use version 0.2 uninstaller).
Thanks dsmid . Here I go...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:23 AM   #25
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Sorry I am confused (not difficult to do) will either of these updates allow me to uninstall both the jail break and the screen saver hack so I can go back to a vanilla kindle, i don't care what version.

I am currently on 3.1 with both the jailbreak and the screen saver hack. Thanks

Edited to say - I have read all the comments and it appears I can install yifanlu's jailbreak, so if I do that, how then do I then unistall the original jailbreak and screen saver hack.?

Or would it be easier, once yifanlu's jailbreak is installed (assuming I will still at this point see my own screen savers) to then just take a back up of my kindle collections and books, and reset to factory settings?

Sorry about this I just would like to go back to a unhacked kindle, if thats possible, and i'll then not hack it again, this has made me very nervous of having a hacked Kindle tbh.

If anyone can provide some simple instructions I would be very grateful. Thank you

Last edited by Josieb1; 02-22-2011 at 07:54 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:47 AM   #26
JerryinOCMD
Enthusiast
JerryinOCMD will become famous soon enoughJerryinOCMD will become famous soon enoughJerryinOCMD will become famous soon enoughJerryinOCMD will become famous soon enoughJerryinOCMD will become famous soon enoughJerryinOCMD will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the hard work on getting this jailbreak up and running. I'm anxious to get it installed, but being the cautious-type, I'm not brave enough to be an early adopter. I'll be following this thread closely and seeing how things play out.

Thanks again...
JerryinOCMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:02 AM   #27
RexGalore
Connoisseur

I took the long rout and uninstalled all the old hacks and jailbreak then updated to 3.1, jailbreaked with this and the installed Screen saver hack again. It took a while with all the reboots but it worked perfectly!

Many thanks to Yifanlu!!! Karma, karma, karma!
Old 02-22-2011, 07:54 AM   #28
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
After reading all the comments in the posts, I'll answer some questions:

1) This jailbreak IS enough for installing hacks, you do not need to install any other jailbreak (like the one for 3.0.3). Other jailbreaks are for other versions.

2) Yes, it works for older versions. But I do not recommend using this on older versions, as it installs the "update change provider hack", which is unneeded on 3.0.3 and below.

3) If you want to uninstall the jailbreak or any hacks on 3.1, first install this jailbreak, make sure it's set to "HACK_UPDATES" and run any uninstaller you want. Make sure you uninstall the jailbreak LAST, as you cannot run uninstallers after uninstalling the jailbreak.

4) dsmid reminded me that this conflicts with his update-provider-hack. I forgot to mention that. If you have his update provider hack, uninstall it as soon as you get a chance. The jailbreak does the same thing. I will auto-uninstall it in a future update. The reason why I forgot about it was because I didn't think I was going to release this early (Amazon released the update by surprise). I wanted to find a more elagent way that would allow both jailbreak, amazon updates, and no files to edit.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:02 AM   #29
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Installed the jailbreak flawlessly! Thank you so much!!!
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:27 AM   #30
mtro
mtro began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'm not sure how to install this. Is the .bin file for execution in linux? I'm a windows user, though I rely a lot on cygwin for some things.
mtro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak kindle 3.1, yifanlu jailbreak