Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-02-2005, 10:30 PM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Sharp prototypes color e-book reader

This story travelled from a Japanese business site (dead link) to SorobanGeeks and then to Gizmodo where I actually found it:

Sharp has shown a prototype eBook reader with a screen that is only 1mm thick — inside the transparent plastic case that is obviously much thicker. Although they don’t plan to have the technology in saleable form until 2007, they already have one major leg up on Sony (and I’m not just talking about the color screen); since eBooks have already been a major part of Sharp’s Zaurus campaign, their library already has around 7000 titles, compared to Sony’s meager 100 or so.

Who knows, if the recent stories on the demise of the PDA are true (I really don't want to hear about it anymore), a color e-book reader will be exactly what we need in 2007 (you'll never find me reading e-books on smartphone devices with current screen sizes!).
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 10:47 PM   #2
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
What the heck is the technology underlying this thing? I didn't think that e-ink could work in color yet. I can't manage to get any larger picture than the posted one. Does anyone have more info?
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 10:56 PM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I also don't think Sharp is working together with E-Ink, so it must be something else. I tried to Google more on the subject, but couldn't find more.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 11:18 PM   #4
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
The future is looking bright for this sort of device... if only it will read multiple formats.

But still, 2 years is a _long_ time in this area, so who knows what the ebook scene might be like then???

Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:03 PM   #5
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Well, its been 2.5 years and the latest and greatest crop of screens are still B&W (now with slightly better contrast).

So, what are the current bets on color E-Ink at the consumer level?
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:09 PM   #6
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF74 View Post
Well, its been 2.5 years and the latest and greatest crop of screens are still B&W (now with slightly better contrast).

So, what are the current bets on color E-Ink at the consumer level?
3-5 years to the massmarket. rollable and videocapable
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:22 PM   #7
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
3-5 years to the massmarket. rollable and videocapable
That's moving the bar, that's not fair!

What about a color devices with todays form factors and performance?
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:51 PM   #8
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF74 View Post
That's moving the bar, that's not fair!

What about a color devices with todays form factors and performance?
Not gonna happen i think, just too expensive as of now. And since development in speed, flexibility and color are progessing in parallel, it would be nonsense to get something out now.
I have seen a first generation color prototype, and it looks very promising, but the resolution is not yet product ready.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:48 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Trouble is, of course, that colour screens have inherently only 1/3 the resolution of B&W screens. The current crop of B&W screens have resolutions of 166dpi - a colour screen would need a resolution of 500dpi to be equally sharp in appearance.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:08 AM   #10
andym
Groupie
andym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Trouble is, of course, that colour screens have inherently only 1/3 the resolution of B&W screens. The current crop of B&W screens have resolutions of 166dpi - a colour screen would need a resolution of 500dpi to be equally sharp in appearance.
I don't understand that one Harry - could you explain?
andym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:56 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A colour screen needs a red, a green, and a blue pixel to form one coloured "dot" on the image.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:07 AM   #12
andym
Groupie
andym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
A colour screen needs a red, a green, and a blue pixel to form one coloured "dot" on the image.
I don't think it's as simple as that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subpixel_rendering
Old 09-20-2007, 09:53 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

That's certainly the way it works with CRT displays. I don't know if eInk is different in that respect.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:17 AM   #14
andym
Groupie

Quote:
That's certainly the way it works with CRT displays. I don't know if eInk is different in that respect.
Yes I realised that the article in wikipedia is a about LCD screens and eInk could very well be different.

It's worth bearing in mind also that pixel resolution isn't the end of the story, anti-aliasing has an important role in the overall readability of text on a screen.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:29 AM   #15
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
I don't think it's as simple as that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subpixel_rendering
Yes, but sub-pixel font rendering is really just a way of fudging things. I remember Microsoft making a big deal about it when they first released MSReader. It doesn't really increase the DPI, it just lets you use part of a dot. Ceteris paribus, the DPI would be cut to one-third of its original by switching to color, so SPFR would simply get you part of the way back to the B/W version.

I assume, however, that color versions will bring smaller, closer ink bubble thingies and a corresponding increase in pixel density.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote