Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Will you check out or buy a book with an anime-style or similarly stylistic cover?
Yes 19 33.93%
No 37 66.07%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
Coren
Coren began at the beginning.

Device: PC
Question What do you think of books with artistic or anime-style covers?

Would you buy a book if the cover features a person or people drawn in a stylistic way, for example in anime/manga style (given that you are not a fan of that genre)?

For instance, I am talking about art like this:
Semi-realistic anime style
Anime-style

Credit goes to their respective artists.

(Moderators, feel free to move this - I'm not too sure where to post it, but I'm curious about what people's opinions will be on this issue.)
Coren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
It depends.
I buy Japanese light novels so Im used to it, but I dont think it would do well in the west.
The two examples you posted are really not high quality stuff, made for book cover.
To work in a global market anime style needs to be toned down. For example my favorite japanese light novels published by Tokypop. Look at these covers and you will see the difference
Spoiler:

That kind of thing. I think Tokyopop had pretty nice covers.
The examples of art you posted are just not suited for something like book cover.
I live in Japan and even 300円 light novels have better fitted stuff.

Sorry if I sound harsh, its just my observation.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:40 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I couldn't give damn what's on the cover of a book, personally. I don't buy books based on their cover, and, beyond perhaps looking at the cover once when I first open a book, I never look at it again.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:14 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I'm with HarryT, I don't usually buy books based on the cover. I normally buy a book because of the author, recommendations or reviews. But, there are two exceptions:

- If there are two different editions in the shop, I will choose the cover I like best, even if it costs a little more.

- If I am just browsing, I will pick up a book because the cover caught my eye. That could be in either a good or a bad way. An anime style cover is not likely to do that.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
A cover like that would put me off. I think I'd make assumptions about what the book would be like/about, despite the saying "don't judge a book by its cover."
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #6
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I couldn't give damn what's on the cover of a book, personally. I don't buy books based on their cover, and, beyond perhaps looking at the cover once when I first open a book, I never look at it again.
What do you base it on?

Lets say for example you have a book everyone is recommending to you, but there are two naked guys kissing or holding each other. And lets say for argument's sake that you dont read homo-erotic books.
Would you at least in some degree have some apprehension about it? Even if all your friend are saying you should read it?

My point is nobody buys books solely on the base of the cover. (Usually)
But to minimize the effect covers have on people is not convincing, from selling, marketing or psychological point.

I read in Everything's Eventual: 14 Dark Tales by Stephen King that publishers like to publish horror books in purple color book covers, because for some reason most people find that color "scarier" than for example green, which most find relaxing. Should we trust King on this? I don't know, he sold lots of scary books.

What about the times when you enter in a bookshop with no particular idea what to buy, and come across a book with nice/interesting cover and you go, what the hell, I'm gonna give it a go. You haven't heard about an author or book, so cover is all that is telling you a story about the story inside the book. Happened to me more the once. I discovered some real rare gems like that.

What about children books? Those rely immensely on art, so its pretty damn important its on decent standard.

Anyway that's just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Geralt; 01-26-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #7
Geralt
Witcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
A cover like that would put me off. I think I'd make assumptions about what the book would be like/about, despite the saying "don't judge a book by its cover."
Exactly.
And that's how most people react. Human beings like to look at beautiful and harmoniously put together things. There is no way around that.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #8
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If I am just browsing, I will pick up a book because the cover caught my eye. That could be in either a good or a bad way. An anime style cover is not likely to do that.
Exactly. The book's cover should reflect the content or style of a book because it does leave an impression upon the reader, especially in the case that you're mentioning. Yet it is also true when selecting a book that I am aware of. I've read everything from academic texts to flow blown manga about children with autism, but I probably wouldn't have read many of those books if their covers were jumbled around because there would be too much discordance.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You did not have a Maybe-Maybe not choice

If the character is only part of the cover, the rest of the scenery might be the selling point if it reflects the story.

I wrote to the author about a series cover with the main character holding a Big Honkn' Blaster, when in fact the telepathic character was not able to use weapons (right there in the story)

The cover screamed WRONG
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:51 AM   #10
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
If a book has an anime-inspired cover, I'm less likely to read it, because to me that would say something about the writing or the plot of the book, and I don't care much for anime-inspired sensibilities. In the same way, I tend to avoid cartoon-y covers, because to me that tends to scream "chick-lit" which I also don't care for.

on the other hand, there currently is a tendency in Romancelandia for naked, headless torsos on the cover - those tend to say nothing to me about the contents - they get slammed on so many different types of books that they're signally neutral to me.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:04 PM   #11
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I would actively avoid a book with this kind of cover.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #12
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I would probably assume that a book with an anime cover was aimed at a younger generation than mine!
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #13
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
An anime-art cover would make me pass the book up also, no matter what good reviews I'd heard about it, for all the same reasons already stated. I may not like some covers of books I read, but anime is going too far out of what genres I like (and yes, an anime-art cover would denote it's not a genre I want to read, even if it said it was a mystery or crime or horror novel).
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:26 PM   #14
Beginner-reader
Enthusiast
Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
I'd avoid it. I read very little manga, and the only manga I read, I get it from my local library.
Manga in book form? No thanks.
Beginner-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:44 PM   #15
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I would tend to assume that an anime-style cover on a prose book signifies a shoddy self-published product. I'd maybe even suspect it was the author's own art.

That's not to say it definitely couldn't work, but I can't really think of anything with a cartoony cover that isn't a comic-book or an illustrated children's book, so I'd really want to make sure it looked right and give the right message.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote