Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-08-2011, 09:30 AM   #1
msoulier
New Kobo Reader
msoulier began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Book ownership

Having recently entered the world of digital books, I find myself comparing this world to the physical world that I am used to.

Usually, I have a large library full of books that my wife and I clean out every few months to save space. The books that we no longer want to go our local library. We also borrow heavily from the library and buy used books from the same.

Now, I recently bought my first ebook from Kobo. It's in Adobe DRM epub. Yuk. So now I need Adobe's permission to unlock my own property. Physical books let you open them whenever you like. You can even loan books to friends, and donate to the library.

Now, if Kobo goes belly up (heaven forbid) I will still have my property as long as my pc and kobo reader don't die. When they do, I hopefully have backups but likely I'll need a new kobo to read them with. What I can do with my own property is now severly limited.

This must not bother many people as ebooks are growing in popularity. Perhaps no one cares, but I care enough for it to give me pause. I'm enjoying the Kobo immensely, and I could just consider the cost of the book the cost of reading it, books as a service as it were, with no real ownership, but I find it difficult to ignore what I am giving up out of the physical world.

I'm interested in what others here think. It's obvious that the book business has changed drastically, and it will continue to change. DRM in books may be a temporary thing, as publishers struggle to incorrectly bring their physical paradigms into the digital world. I hope so, but it might not be temporary.

Thoughts?

I'll say this. I'm reading more. That's a good thing.
msoulier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:52 AM   #2
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
remove the drm and keep your own back-up system.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:54 AM   #3
jleliekelly
i'm getting there.
jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-600, MOTOROLA PHOTON & Toshiba Thrive
@abookreader- agreed.
jleliekelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:05 AM   #4
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Plus there are tons of placed to get books with out DRM.... which reminds me I need to find a good system for backing my ebooks....
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:22 AM   #5
outlander78
Zealot
outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Arc 7
ebooks are easy to back up, either on a USB drive or a DVD - they are so small you will likely never need a second disc.
outlander78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:25 AM   #6
jleliekelly
i'm getting there.
jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I use SD cards (the bigger ones not the mini SD)
Old 07-08-2011, 10:33 AM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I keep a local copy on my home and work computers which is also sync'd to both DropBox and SugarSync. I also keep a copy on a USB flash drive.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:55 AM   #8
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I have mine stored in various places. But I do kind of miss donating all my paperbacks to our library paperback exchange & my hardcovers for the library fundraiser.

I do find if there is a book I will read over & over, I still will buy it in paper format. Most of those are non fiction though.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:18 AM   #9
jleliekelly
i'm getting there.

I wish that I could donate ebooks to my library that I have bought and finished
Old 07-08-2011, 12:21 PM   #10
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
You wisely bought a reader that uses Adobe drm, so that when your Kobo does die, you will be able to buy any other reader that utilizes it. Including, Sony, Nook, etc. The only one you won't be able to use will be Amazon's Kindle.

If you are interested in stripping the drm, Google apprentice alf.

Of course if you do this, you will be able to convert your books to whatever format you want for whatever reader you get.

Also download Calibre. This great program will do the conversion for you.

Last edited by cfrizz; 07-08-2011 at 12:23 PM.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #11
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by msoulier View Post
I'm interested in what others here think. It's obvious that the book business has changed drastically, and it will continue to change. DRM in books may be a temporary thing, as publishers struggle to incorrectly bring their physical paradigms into the digital world. I hope so, but it might not be temporary.

With mp3 there was a push from consumers for files without DRM restrictions because people had lots of different devices they wanted to play them on. You won't get that same demand with ebooks because 1) people only tend to have at most 2 or 3 devices they want to use them on, and 2) most people will only read them once (if at all). So the DRM restrictions are a lot less apparent than they were with mp3. They're more like computer games where you play them on one device for a few weeks or months, then put them to one side and get a new one.

If you are going to remove the DRM, check the legality of doing that in your own country. Especially if you are in America and already have two strikes for minor offences
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:33 PM   #12
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
I'm interested in what others here think
I'm pretty new to digital books, too, and have at times wondered about the negatives you bring up.

What cancels those out, for me, is that I have 94 books on my device and yesterday when I was waiting in the eye doctor's office, I was practically giddy in deciding upon which book to select to occupy me whilst waiting.

I'm still a little awed by the fact that I can leave my home and all the shelves of books, but still have this wonderful selection to tempt me on this tiny little piece of heaven.

I'm sure I'll get over it in time.

BTW...when the doc walked in and spied me reading, she immediately said, "Nook or Kindle?". She never did ask me what book I was reading, though.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:43 PM   #13
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:

I'll say this. I'm reading more. That's a good thing.
focus on the good things.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:09 PM   #14
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I keep a local copy on my home and work computers which is also sync'd to both DropBox and SugarSync. I also keep a copy on a USB flash drive.

Yea Dropbox is what I was think for mine...just need to find them all and copy them over...
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:07 PM   #15
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Like you, it seems wrong to me that I can't resell or donate ebooks the way I can with physical books. Especially since many times I pay the same price for the ebook that I do the book with less rights.

I really like Baen Books. No DRM so I can backup my ebooks in case my reader no longer works, reasonable prices and lots of free ebooks to try.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote