Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #1
emt
Nameless Being

Best ROM for Color Nook

Over on XDA, there is a profusion of ROMS to flash our NC's - in fact some days it seems like a shark feeding frenzy with changes/updates/new ROMS, etc.

Does anyone know if there has been an attempt to list or compare ROMS?
Old 04-07-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
Can't help answer your question, emt, but I'm in full agreement with you. I don't mean to be unappreciative of the work happening there, but the list of partially-baked hacks has grown to astronomical proportions, and when I saw the bluetooth development floundering once again, I pretty much gave up on this device.
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
OakdaleMike
Enthusiast
OakdaleMike doesn't litterOakdaleMike doesn't litter

Device: PRS-900, rooted Nook Color
There are a bunch of posts here lauding CM7, so that's what I picked. I also chose to install it on an SD card, so there is zero effort required to go back to my vanilla rooted configuration. Now, given that you settle on CM7, they do daily builds, so you still have many choices, but some consider choice a good thing...
OakdaleMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:18 PM   #4
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by emt View Post
Over on XDA, there is a profusion of ROMS to flash our NC's - in fact some days it seems like a shark feeding frenzy with changes/updates/new ROMS, etc.

Does anyone know if there has been an attempt to list or compare ROMS?
You might find this article to be useful in that regard?
http://quinxy.com/guides/how-to-pick...stall-options/
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:37 PM   #5
emt
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
You might find this article to be useful in that regard?
http://quinxy.com/guides/how-to-pick...stall-options/
Thank you very much for this informative article - it should be required reading for all about-to root Nook owners
Old 04-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #6
dmg
dmg began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Thank you Dave S for posting a link to the most informative article on OSs for the Nook Color!
dmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:03 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I couldn't tell you which ROM is better all I can tell you is from my experience

I ran nookie and I was very happy with it, development on it is slow but does happen.

I'm know running CM7 and it just gets better and better. Granted the amount of updates and progress is daily, but you don't have to update everyday. The only time I update is when there is a features I really want that has reached a stability. That is about once a week.

CM7 with table tweaks is just golden.
=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:48 AM   #8
noaxis2
Enthusiast
noaxis2 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color (rooted w/autonooter)
What version of Android is CM7? I used autonooter without difficulty but I'm getting confused with the options of more ROMs and using the bootable SD card. Do you have to partition a large SD card if you want to keep your movies, music available and use CM7 or Nookie (or the installable equivalent of Nookie)?

Thanks

noaxis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:16 PM   #9
lizzo
lizzo began at the beginning.

Device: none
First post, I'll finally get rid of that little reminder : )

I was already to just use AutoNooter 3.0, but then saw all the posts on CM7. As I am a first timer with rooting, and after reading til my eyes bled, I have just a couple of questions.

If I autonooter with 3.0, I can still go back to the original nook by using the 8 failed boots method, whereas if I use cm7, all the original stuff is wiped out, and I would need a backup of the original to restore the nook to factory? I know it's more involved than that, but is that basically correct? Also, can I follow the instuctions on Huskermania's youtube site for autonooter 2..., are the procedures the same? I did watch a couple of vids on AN3 and they are all slightly different, and slightly different to the instructions on the xda site.

Sorry if this is noobish : ) But I am one.
lizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:26 PM   #10
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noaxis2 View Post
What version of Android is CM7?
Android 2.3 Gingerbread

Quote:
Originally Posted by noaxis2 View Post
Do you have to partition a large SD card if you want to keep your movies, music available and use CM7?
The CM7 install system will partition your SD card during the install procedure. Here is a link to a pretty good step by step install description:
http://quinxy.com/2011/04/01/complet...he-nook-color/
Old 04-11-2011, 01:30 PM   #11
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzo View Post
If I autonooter with 3.0, I can still go back to the original nook by using the 8 failed boots method, whereas if I use cm7, all the original stuff is wiped out, and I would need a backup of the original to restore the nook to factory?
Yes.
Quote:
I know it's more involved than that, but is that basically correct?
Yes
Quote:
Also, can I follow the instuctions on Huskermania's youtube site for autonooter 2..., are the procedures the same?
I do not know anything about autnooter, so I will leave that for someone else. If you wan to try CM7, see the link in my previous post.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:36 PM   #12
Apoc
Connoisseur
Apoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookC with CM7 (eMMC)
That's correct. You can revert back to stock after using Autonooter but once you root CM7 reverting back becomes more involved. I know because I found out the hard way myself. (See an older post of mine on recovery.) There is a better way if you plan ahead but I hadn't. The important thing to remember though is that it's very difficult to brick the Nook so there's almost always a way out. Even now I haven't bothered with making a backup of the stock OS. There is nothing on it that interests me anymore. If and when I need it for some reason, I'll deal with it then.

Huskermania's videos are great! Even though I prefer to get my hands dirty, I watch his videos as a precaution in case that I missed something.

Good luck with your rooting!
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:47 PM   #13
emt
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
That's correct. You can revert back to stock after using Autonooter but once you root CM7 reverting back becomes more involved. I know because I found out the hard way myself. (See an older post of mine on recovery.) There is a better way if you plan ahead but I hadn't. The important thing to remember though is that it's very difficult to brick the Nook so there's almost always a way out. Even now I haven't bothered with making a backup of the stock OS. There is nothing on it that interests me anymore. If and when I need it for some reason, I'll deal with it then.

Huskermania's videos are great! Even though I prefer to get my hands dirty, I watch his videos as a precaution in case that I missed something.

Good luck with your rooting!
You can do even better with CM7 and have the best of all worlds. Over on XDA there's a thread called "Generic Nook-2GB-SDCard-CW3010-VGCM7InstallerAsALTinMultiBoot-v6.zip" - the URL is:http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1022786

By following the instructions (very easy) you set up a dual-boot system whereby you leave the Nook at stock 1.1 (latest BN update) and can, by your choice, boot into running CM7 on your SD Card. I am now using the latest (stable) CM7 which is Android 2.3, otherwise known as Gingerbread.

It runs extremely smoothly off the SD Card (I just have a generic Samsung 16Gb that came with a phone a while back) and you never have to mod your Nook, leaving room for BN Updates and just general goodness.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:57 PM   #14
lizzo
lizzo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks everyone for all the info! I have autonooter 3.0'd for now, just so I can get used to all the android-ness. It was quite good : ) I'll go for the cm7 once I'm comfortable with it.

Now back to the reading about apps. Thanks again.
lizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:47 PM   #15
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Thanks everyone for all the info! I have autonooter 3.0'd for now, just so I can get used to all the android-ness. It was quite good : ) I'll go for the cm7 once I'm comfortable with it.

Now back to the reading about apps. Thanks again.
Just an FYI. A rooted nook requires a lot more tweaking to get the nook to act feel like an android device. However CM7 is an Android OS right off of the bat there is no tweaks needed to get it to work.

Also as a few days CM7 has included "Tablet Teaks" as part of the main line which makes it feel more like a tablet OS. It also removes the need to run Softkeys/Button Savior since it has the essential keys as part of the UI.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote