Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-27-2014, 03:50 PM   #61
Eric Carroll
Eric Carroll began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Kobo definitely didn't start out like this and according to their About Us page aren't supposed to be doing this.
And that is why I have, until now, exclusively purchased my ebooks from Kobo.
Eric Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 03:52 PM   #62
Eric Carroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
My procedure is to take the original file if it is not DRMed, rename it to something humanly understandable, suck it into Calibre, run the ModifyEpub plugin to remove Kobo's added items, open it in Sigil, though Calibre's internal editor would also work and finish the cleanup.
That's tough to read let alone do. It shouldn't be this hard...
Advert
Old 09-27-2014, 04:01 PM   #63
Eric Carroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Interesting. Kobo customer service sure is not aware of that. Too bad, this is a good answer.

Note the commentary in this article is exactly what I experienced. So the customer service script needs to be changed if this is actually the answer.

Quote:
Kobo CS has described this issue not as a problem but as a feature. According to second hand reports from several sources, the reason people cannot download the ebooks is that they are Epub3 format.

There has been no pattern to the ebooks that are afflicted, with both DRMed ebooks and even DRM-free titles from Tor Books blocked from being downloaded at Kobo but still readily downloadable at other ebookstores.
Thanks for the link. This response from Kobo comes two days after I posted this item and cites exactly the same book, so its hot off the press.

Hey cool: this article from the Dear Author blog cites this thread!

Last edited by Eric Carroll; 09-27-2014 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Blog cites this thread!
Old 09-27-2014, 04:41 PM   #64
Eric Carroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Carroll View Post
Thanks for dropping in Robert and expressing the author's perspective. I am off to vote with my wallet and purchase your latest from ebooks.com. If you can pass the word, maybe the publisher can apply some pressure.
Well, I get to virtually eat this posting.

Red Planet Blues is not available on ebooks.com. But it is available on Kobo using Adobe DRM so clearly it is not a TOR title. But I did buy it anyway.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:04 PM   #65
Eric Carroll

John Scalzi's Human Division is a TOR DRM free title.

It shows as not supported for blackberry, which customer service says indicates it is not downloadable.

But I put it in my preview, and it shows as EPUB (DRM Free) which I believe means it would be downloadable if I bought it.

Now I could have sworn this was not downloadable when I initially looked, so I went to ebooks.com and bought it as DRM free epub.

This example appears to show a TOR book from May 2013 as downloadable, but a TOR book from Aug 2014 as not downloadable.

So not all TOR books are impacted.

Next step is to look at the epub authoring.

Last edited by Eric Carroll; 09-27-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Advert
Old 09-27-2014, 06:21 PM   #66
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Interesting. Kobo customer service sure is not aware of that. Too bad, this is a good answer.

Note the commentary in this article is exactly what I experienced. So the customer service script needs to be changed if this is actually the answer.

Thanks for the link. This response from Kobo comes two days after I posted this item and cites exactly the same book, so its hot off the press.

Hey cool: this article from the Dear Author blog cites this thread!
I also cited this thread when I covered this issue on Thrusday. Your gripe was the final straw; it pushed me to post the oboK plugin.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 06:53 PM   #67
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
That's tough to read let alone do. It shouldn't be this hard...
From my point of view, it's not that hard. Most of the process is automated.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:33 PM   #68
Eric Carroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I also cited this thread when I covered this issue on Thrusday. Your gripe was the final straw; it pushed me to post the oboK plugin.
Cool! Thank you!

Of course, the first rule of DRM Fight Club is we don't discuss DRM Fight Club.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:34 PM   #69
Eric Carroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
From my point of view, it's not that hard. Most of the process is automated.
Not hard for me. Not hard for you. Others however...
Old 09-27-2014, 09:51 PM   #70
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not hard for me. Not hard for you. Others however...
My feeling is that the ones for whom it would be truly difficult are not likely to be found among the posters here. Most of the people I know who own ereaders get their ebooks from the on-line store and neither know nor care about what format they are in. For that group it would be hard.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:28 PM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
John Scalzi's Human Division is a TOR DRM free title.

It shows as not supported for blackberry, which customer service says indicates it is not downloadable.

But I put it in my preview, and it shows as EPUB (DRM Free) which I believe means it would be downloadable if I bought it.

Now I could have sworn this was not downloadable when I initially looked, so I went to ebooks.com and bought it as DRM free epub.

This example appears to show a TOR book from May 2013 as downloadable, but a TOR book from Aug 2014 as not downloadable.

So not all TOR books are impacted.

Next step is to look at the epub authoring.
Not all Tor books are impacted because not all Tor eBooks are ePub 3. The ePub 2 eBooks are not converted to kepub. it is the newer ePub 3 eBooks from Tor that get converted to kepub. Kobo does this so it gets read with the Access renderer in Kobo eInk Readers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:29 PM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Question, is there any easy way to tell which eBooks in the Kobo Desktop library are DRM free when you have them all mixed in with ones that do have DRM?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 01:44 AM   #73
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not all Tor books are impacted because not all Tor eBooks are ePub 3. The ePub 2 eBooks are not converted to kepub. it is the newer ePub 3 eBooks from Tor that get converted to kepub. Kobo does this so it gets read with the Access renderer in Kobo eInk Readers.
Not quite right, Jon. Epub 2 books are also converted to kepub. Those are the ones that can be directly downloaded to your Kobo ereader or a Kobo app (Windows, Mac, iOS and Android), sync your reading position across multiple devices, etc.

The difference is that epub2 ebooks are also available as downloadable epubs readable on any epub2 software/device while epub3 ebooks are not. What would make sense to me would be Kobo changing their system to treat epub3 ebooks with a toc.ncx as epub2.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:45 AM   #74
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Question, is there any easy way to tell which eBooks in the Kobo Desktop library are DRM free when you have them all mixed in with ones that do have DRM?
You can try an older version of obok -- it did not show kepubs that were not DRMed in it's list.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:11 AM   #75
ForsCream
Connoisseur
ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Similar question.

I've got Obok plugin to process my kobo books, the DRMed files are well handled, but I can't get my DRM-free kobo books turned to normal EPUB files.

Any suggestions?

I checked this thread and someone mentioned change the extension and use Calibre to re-convert to clean the mess codes, I didn't make it however.
ForsCream is offline   Reply With Quote