Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-27-2009, 07:43 PM   #166
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Sony has come out and said that the 300 is a replacement of the 505, I think.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:45 PM   #167
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Does ePub have full justification?
No, the 600 & 300 do not have full justification for ePub. But, the Daily Edition looks to have such in the photos.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2009, 07:49 PM   #168
formerroadie
Bada Bing
formerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
It's a little bit weird that after 2 years and all these new models the screen of the 505 is still the best one...
Well, from what I understand, they are two different beasts. I mean, touch screen tech is very different from a standard type screen. I'm no expert, but I would think advances in one may not be as favorable for the other. I mean, touch screens have not been out all that long and they have only recently gotten very good. I have a tablet laptop and it works really well. But, of course, it doesn't have an e-ink screen. I will be interested to see how the tech goes forward. From what I have seen the 600 is an improvement on the 700. In the clearest pics, it seems like it's a considerable improvement.
formerroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:57 AM   #169
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
It's a little bit weird that after 2 years and all these new models the screen of the 505 is still the best one...
Well if you look back at the history of standard monitors, the monochrome monitors were the sharpest by far for a very long time.

If I had to guess about the way e-ink screens are going, it seems to me that the effort to add gray levels and increase refresh speed is being made at the sacrifice of quality. I notice with my Kindle 2 that there is all kinds of ghosting all the time. But hey, it changes pages superfast! heh. The PRS-505 only has 4 gray levels, and super slow page changes/refresh. Obviously just a guess but I have read the technical white papers on this technology and it seems to fit.

I think what we're going to see is progressive worsening of E-Ink quality until a suitable technological upgrade, or at least materials upgrade is made cheap enough to provide the same beautiful features without the slowness or lack of color variations. I'd put a guess of 3-4 years on that and am willing to bet that the technology is based on similar principals as DLP microchips.

Weeeeeee! Future speculation is fun!
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:47 PM   #170
formerroadie
Bada Bing
formerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enough

It's in the fedex truck and on the way to my house..... *watches out window, watches out window, sips coffee, watches out window!
Advert
Old 08-28-2009, 01:51 PM   #171
apswartz
e-book reader
apswartz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Google Play Books on Samsung Tablet
W00t! My 600 came today! Playing around with it now. Different feel from my Kindle 2. I am looking forward to seeing how the two match up.
apswartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:12 PM   #172
formerroadie
Bada Bing

Quote:
Originally Posted by apswartz View Post
W00t! My 600 came today! Playing around with it now. Different feel from my Kindle 2. I am looking forward to seeing how the two match up.
Congrats! What color?
Old 08-28-2009, 02:49 PM   #173
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apswartz View Post
Very curious about your opinion...
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:38 PM   #174
formerroadie
Bada Bing

IT'S HERE!!! WOOHOOO!!!!! I am charging as I type. Can't wait.

Here are some pictures of the big moment .

Old 08-28-2009, 03:41 PM   #175
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
You are too funny - enjoy!!!
SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:42 PM   #176
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
Congrats, Formerroadie! Isn't the red color beautiful!?!
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:43 PM   #177
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Grats! I'm glad the moment you've been waiting for has arrived! We expect more pictures and your own personal review after you've had time to play with it.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:46 PM   #178
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
ooooh gorgeous !!!! i'm jealous. have fun with it !!
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:47 PM   #179
formerroadie
Bada Bing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetCinNC View Post
Congrats, Formerroadie! Isn't the red color beautiful!?!
I really love the red. I wanted a Blue, but red works since there was no blue . I ordered the Sony cover. Not sure why that comes out after the readers. Kind of weird. Oh well. It will get here next week sometime .

I will post more pics when it gets up and running and also give my little review (whatever that is worth since I can't compare to anything else). It will probably be a review on how well the reader works for academics . If it works well for academics, it must work well for casual readers as well, right?
Old 08-28-2009, 04:15 PM   #180
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerroadie View Post
I will post more pics when it gets up and running and also give my little review (whatever that is worth since I can't compare to anything else). It will probably be a review on how well the reader works for academics . If it works well for academics, it must work well for casual readers as well, right?

In that case I think first time buyers of any e-readers would find your review helpful. I would like to hear your opinions regarding eye-strain, glare and how easy it is for someone new to e-readers, to load up a book and just start reading.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote