Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-19-2009, 05:24 PM   #61
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I'm not really clear on what what you mean by an official option. Has adobe taken a stance for or against reflow?

If you have a PocketPC device take a look at Adobe Reader for Mobile. It has reflow built into the application and is probably the best reflow example I've seen it does not lose it's graphics, no weird line breaks or page breaks. You really cannot tell it's a PDF in reflow mode.

=X=
I already use different version of Adobe Reader for Pocket PC, and I never see any Reflow option, zoom option, panning option, but not reflow. I never heard of reflow on PDF before the Adobe Digital Edition SDK was out.

and PDF is by nature NOT a reflowable format, but a fixed format, and doing reflow on it is a trick/hack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
*AS* I have stated - clearly and distinctly - before. We have been promised folder management since 2007. Since 2007 it has been 'in the "*NEXT*" firmware release most of that time. Let's see now, I've had firmware updates at the 0.91, 0.94, 0.95, 0.99, 1.00 Build437, 1.xx Build 536, Build 609, Build 721, Build 796 *AND* Build 802. :smack"

Derek
With the same Cybook you had all of this version, even 802 ? I doubt, or you work at bookeen (Bookeen NEVER released this firmware to install on existing Cybook)

Last edited by Godzil; 05-20-2009 at 05:45 AM. Reason: typo
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:59 PM   #62
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
I already use different version of Adobe Reader for Pocket PC, and I never see any Reflow option, zoom option, panning option, but not reflow. I never heard of reflow on PDF before the Adobe Digital Edition SDK was out.
I have a version of Adobe that can reflow PDFs. It's a PPC version that was hacked to run on Windows CE. It can reflow tagged PDFs.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2009, 06:01 PM   #63
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
With the same Cybook you had all of this version, even 802 ? I doubt, or you work at bookeen (Bookeen NEVER relader this firmware to install on existing Cybook)
I worked for NAEB. Because of that, I got to get my grubby hands on pre-release versions. Some of which didn't work so well.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:07 AM   #64
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
and PDF is by nature NOT a reflowable format, but a fixed format, and doing reflow on it is a trick/hack.
As Adobe itself has used it in all former mobile versions (sadly not anymore...), I have no idea why this is not standard for mobile PDF documents!?

But you can try Foxit PDF Reader for Pocket PC (allows reflow without tagging): HERE

BTW: AFAIK you can install a former version of AdobeReader on PocketPC WM5/6 (says it's not compatible, but english version works) with reflow...

gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:08 AM   #65
TotalRoul
TotaleReader Crew
TotalRoul is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad, Cybook, Hanlin v3
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
*OUCH!!!* That's $340.23 US! DEFINITELY not in my budget for some time to come!

Derek
The price in Euro includes VAT (19%) which you need to subtract before doing the conversion to US Dollar. I suspect the price to be somewhere around 279 US Dollar.
TotalRoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2009, 03:44 PM   #66
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

With the same Cybook you had all of this version, even 802 ? I doubt, or you work at bookeen (Bookeen NEVER released this firmware to install on existing Cybook)

reflow is an Adobe feature in 2.0 of Adobe Reader for the PPC. If you don't have that version you can download it from the Adobe web site. It requires that the file be tagged to support reflow. If you have Adobe Reader 2.0 installed on your PPC device you will find that untagged files are automatically tagged by ActiveSync when you drag them to the devices from a PC. If the file is not tagged it will not reflow.

ADE can reflow whether or not the file is tagged. This is not a hack. It is a feature designed into the database of PDF by Adobe and tagged files have been around for years. you can read about this feature in our wiki.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:28 PM   #67
cybook_gen3
cybook_gen3 began at the beginning.

Device: cybook_gen3, opus
incompatible with Mobipocket

The new Bookeen Opus is NOT compatible with the Mobipocket ebooks ... so you can throw away all your library !!!
It seems it's a legal problem, not a technical one ... and it's a shame in 2009 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospect View Post
According to the presentation Laurent Picard made at Digital Book 2009 last week, Bookeen will launch a new device named Opus. Here are the details:

Lightest device: 5.3 oz
▪  Highest def.: 200 dpi (does this mean a 5" screen?)
▪  Storage capacity: 1GB
▪  Fits in a pocket
▪  One handed operable
▪  Adobe ePub/PDF
▪  12 different font sizes
▪  Customizable layout
▪  Folder management
▪  Motion sensor

Does anyone have more information on this?

via Teleread
cybook_gen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:47 PM   #68
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybook_gen3 View Post
The new Bookeen Opus is NOT compatible with the Mobipocket ebooks ... so you can throw away all your library !!!
It seems it's a legal problem, not a technical one ... and it's a shame in 2009 !
Yes, and they also have (or will have) a different version of the firmware which will support Mobipocket DRM. You can choose which firmware you'd like or, for that matter, carry two SD cards and reflash the firmware at your whim.

You may wish to read the information about the Opus on Bookeen's web site before jumping to conclusions .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:06 PM   #69
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, and they also have (or will have) a different version of the firmware which will support Mobipocket DRM. You can choose which firmware you'd like or, for that matter, carry two SD cards and reflash the firmware at your whim.

You may wish to read the information about the Opus on Bookeen's web site before jumping to conclusions .
Which leads me to wonder...

Ok, DRM'd mobipocket can't be put in the same firmware as Adobe/epub DRM. But, I can't find anything if the epub DRM firmware will support non-DRM'd mobipocket...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:08 PM   #70
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It doesn't look as though it will, unfortunately.

However, it is really easy to convert DRM-free Mobi to ePub using Calibre, and the results look excellent, so it's not too big a deal.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:21 PM   #71
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:

But we all know how often installing firmware updates causes lockups on the Cybook Gen3. What evidence do we have that Bookeen has been smart enough to create a version of firmware that will boot/run from the SD card so that the user can keep the "original" version on the Opus and skip this problem? Hmmm...?

Of course, that would *also* be the best way to handle people who want an ePub version of the Gen3 now, wouldn't it? Bet that's not the way Bookeen handles it.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:26 PM   #72
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Why it will be the best way? If bookeen do a firmware that will run from a SD card, it's an open door to copy their firmware on other hardware clones. I seriously doubt they will do this at anytime.
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:34 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
It doesn't look as though it will, unfortunately.

However, it is really easy to convert DRM-free Mobi to ePub using Calibre, and the results look excellent, so it's not too big a deal.
And stripping the DRM from Mobipocket eBooks is trivial too. So just strip the DRM, convert to ePub and enjoy.

What I want to know is how the firmware is going to handle ePub embedded fonts. So if you want to choose a different font, can you? Will it override all the fonts for that one font family or will it override for all font families?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:48 PM   #74
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What I want to know is how the firmware is going to handle ePub embedded fonts. So if you want to choose a different font, can you? Will it override all the fonts for that one font family or will it override for all font families?
It will do whatever ADE does, and I'm afraid ADE does not support changing fonts (or justification, or margins...)
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:51 PM   #75
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And stripping the DRM from Mobipocket eBooks is trivial too. So just strip the DRM, convert to ePub and enjoy.
But that would require that extra step... (the DRM stripping I already have to do, as I have more than 4 devices I read on...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote