Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #1261
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
errr.... I kind of recall something (an extension???) that does that..

*goes off and looks for it*

EDIT:

Ah right.... looks like orientationLock is no longer respected in 5.3.3. for the MAIN UI ?? Hadn't remembered/noticed that... sorry.

however... if you want it for books... read on.
The only real extra this gives you is the inverted landscape view (probably why I hid it away)

I will repack the HELPER in readiness for the next release to have the following amends...

Spoiler:
Okay.. so I dug.. this still works for books...

I don't know about a PW but on a touch...
(There is a SIMILAR script hidden in KUAL HELPER extensions folder, so you would need to EDIT that or to make an ameded copy/script of your own...)

/mnt/us/extensions/helper/bin/setorientation.sh (U D L or R)

Code:
#!/bin/sh
# I think this is now creds of Ixtab / Yifan Lu. repacked by Twobob.
SETPROP=/usr/bin/lipc-set-prop
PREFS=/var/local/java/prefs/com.amazon.ebook.framework/prefs

case "$1" in
"L"|"R"|"U")
        $SETPROP com.lab126.winmgr orientationLock $1
        ;;
"D")
eips 2 38 "NO LONGER SUPPORTED"
        ;;
esac
Also of note...

nano -w -$ /var/local/java/prefs/com.amazon.ebook.framework/prefs

anyways. something like that.

if you wanted to add it the the KUAL HELPER BUTTONS then the menu.json would require the following additions.

Code:
                        {"name": "Rotation U", "priority": 6, "action": "bin/setorientation.sh", "params": "U"},
                        {"name": "Rotation L", "priority": 7, "action": "bin/setorientation.sh", "params": "L"},
                        {"name": "Rotation R", "priority": 8, "action": "bin/setorientation.sh", "params": "R"}

FULL EXAMPLE:

Spoiler:
Code:
{
        "items": [
                {
                "name": "Helper",
                "priority": 0,
                "items": [
                        {"name": "BEGIN Grayed Installer", "priority": 1, "action": "bin/start_update.sh"},
                        {"name": "TOGGLE UsbNetworking", "priority": 2, "action": "bin/usbnetwork.sh"},
                        {"name": "PREVENT ScreenSaver", "priority": 3, "action": "bin/ssprevent.sh"},
                        {"name": "ALLOW ScreenSaver", "priority": 4, "action": "bin/ssallow.sh"},
                        {"name": "SHOW Network Info ", "priority": 5, "action": "bin/411.sh", "params": "711"},
                        {"name": "Rotation U", "priority": 6, "action": "bin/setorientation.sh", "params": "U"},
                        {"name": "Rotation L", "priority": 7, "action": "bin/setorientation.sh", "params": "L"},
                        {"name": "Rotation R", "priority": 8, "action": "bin/setorientation.sh", "params": "R"}
                ]
                }
        ]
}

limited usefulness but meh. it's there. Enjoy.
Ok, I didn't understand a word of that except that the functionality is still there, you just have to customize it? No idea how to go about it though, but glad to know it can be done
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #1262
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
do you want it ? for books?

Ill make you one in a bit if you do
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #1263
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
do you want it ? for books?

Ill make you one in a bit if you do
Yes, for books (and PDF's maybe?). I would appreciate that very much! I'm actually going over the KUAL thread right now
Old 02-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #1264
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

fair enough gimme 5 mins

EDIT: erm make that 15 or so. I want to test on all devices. check the implications.

and add some visual output at the very least.

EDIT... lol.. an hour!

Last edited by twobob; 02-21-2013 at 10:30 PM. Reason: an hour!
Old 02-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #1265
xtine
Addict

Quote:
fair enough gimme 5 mins

EDIT: erm make that 15 or so. I want to test on all devices. check the implications.

and add some visual output at the very least.
Take as much time as you need. I really appreciate your help!
Advert
Old 02-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #1266
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtine View Post
Take as much time as you need. I really appreciate your help!
Okay - I will take this to a new thread also at that time.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...87&postcount=1 Done.

Last edited by twobob; 02-21-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:10 PM   #1267
xtine
Addict

Quote:
Okay - I will take this to a new thread also at that time.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...87&postcount=1 Done.
Thank you so much! I'll need KUAL for this to work, right? Will work on getting KUAL on my PW this afternoon
Old 02-21-2013, 11:32 PM   #1268
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtine View Post
Thank you so much! I'll need KUAL for this to work, right? Will work on getting KUAL on my PW this afternoon
That is correct.

It's painless.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #1269
shakaote
shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.

Device: kindle touch
dictionary patch idea/request

Hi. Thanks for the awesome work on JBPatch. I love the dictionary patch.

Here's two ideas/requests, if anyone has the time and inclination:

1) In the dictionary patch / On the dictionary card, turn the dictionary title into a link to open the dictionary's index with the current selection. This would make looking up words that aren't in the index much easier.

2) In 5.3.2, chinese and japanese books have little arrows to move the selection endpoints around (but not periodicals - woops). It would be awesome to have this on all the time, for all languages and documents.

I've looked around the javascript and plain text parts of the system for a way to do (2); I think it's in java.

Obfuscated java is beyond my reach right now. My thanks to anyone feels like tinkering with this. Cheers.
shakaote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:58 AM   #1270
twobob

The obfuscation is getting more and more horrible.
Don't hold your breath.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #1271
shakaote
shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.

Device: kindle touch
yep

Quote:
The obfuscation is getting more and more horrible.
Don't hold your breath.
No doubt. I'm amazed at how much of jbpatch could get done on 3.2.x to begin with. Once, it would have been a fun challenge to do these things. Now, I have toddlers.

I'm looking at the reader plugins. It's a few more button presses to get to them, but it's plain old html5, and that's much friendler. Working out how to do the signing with xmlsec1 now.

Once I can get a-hold of the current selection, translating dictionaries get much more fun. For lots of languages, stemming is much easier to do than building a mobi dictionary with hundreds or thousands of inflected forms.

As for the cursors, I cringe, but I might just go ahead and re-code all my books and dictionaries as Chinese. 爱屋及乌.
shakaote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:52 AM   #1272
BillyBigStuff
Enthusiast
BillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and graceBillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and graceBillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and graceBillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and graceBillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and graceBillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and graceBillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and graceBillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and graceBillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and graceBillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and graceBillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: K5 B011 5.3.2
Hi guys,
Been out of the game for a while and just saw the new update for my K5 so thought I'd go for it. Got the 006 error when updating so used Kubrick (thanks for that, too, Ixtab!) and installed clean 5.1.2 with the jailbreak. I've updated to 5.3.2 and so far I've got the jailbreak, the kindlet jailbreak, combined-dev-certs-20121002, JBPatch, the collections manager and KUAL installed, as well as linkss 0.7 now I've got the special offers hidden.
I've been using the JBPatch feature for hiding the special offers since I first got my kindle jailbroken having bought it in America on holiday. They said they couldn't remove the special offers as I'm back in the UK now so it was the only way I could do it. I've just been having a go at custom fonts using the method linked to as working on the Paperwhite 5.3.x kindles and my kindle crashed while I was changing the font. When it came back it loaded special offers on to the device regardless of having the patch running for hiding them.
I understand this is a sort of grey area, I'm just wondering if there's anything I've missed, or anything I can do to hide them again.
Thanks
Bill
PS: Thanks to everyone for their hard work!

Last edited by BillyBigStuff; 02-23-2013 at 11:54 AM.
BillyBigStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #1273
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
It's not a grey area, it's pitch black by now. Sorry.

Last edited by ixtab; 02-23-2013 at 12:09 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #1274
BillyBigStuff
Enthusiast
BillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and graceBillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and graceBillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and graceBillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and graceBillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and graceBillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and graceBillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and graceBillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and graceBillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and graceBillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and graceBillyBigStuff herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: K5 B011 5.3.2
Ah OK, I understand
Anyway, thank you for all of your hard work with this regardless!
Bill
BillyBigStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #1275
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Ah, just two more notes: There are many reports from users from "Non-SO" countries which have called Kindle CS and had the SO disabled. Some were charged $20, some reported that they didn't have to pay. So I suggest you just call Kindle CS again - they definitely *can* manually disable the Special Offers, don't let them tell you otherwise.

And to something completely different: You probably still have many patches installed which only work on FW 5.1.2 (they're not functional on 5.3.2). I suggest to uninstall and re-install JBPatch
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks