Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-01-2014, 04:08 PM   #1
virtualdxs
|_| |3 Ǝ Ʀ G 3 3 |<
virtualdxs can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsvirtualdxs can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsvirtualdxs can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsvirtualdxs can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsvirtualdxs can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsvirtualdxs can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsvirtualdxs can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsvirtualdxs can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsvirtualdxs can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsvirtualdxs can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsvirtualdxs can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle Touch
EchoLink Proxy on Kindle?

Hello, all. I am trying to set up an EchoLink Proxy on my Kindle, which is a jar file. I thought this would be easy, since I knew that the Kindle was built on about half Java. However, it seems that the Kindle doesn't have the 'java' command. So will it be easy to make a Kindlet out of the attached jar file?

Note: The .jar file needs access to the .conf file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip EchoLinkProxy_1_2_3.zip (17.9 KB, 120 views)
virtualdxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:35 PM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/sy...ex-156655.html
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2014, 07:48 PM   #3
virtualdxs
|_| |3 Ǝ Ʀ G 3 3 |<
virtualdxs can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsvirtualdxs can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsvirtualdxs can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsvirtualdxs can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsvirtualdxs can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsvirtualdxs can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsvirtualdxs can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsvirtualdxs can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsvirtualdxs can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsvirtualdxs can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsvirtualdxs can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

I'm sorry if I'm being a noob, but I don't know how that answers my question.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:53 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualdxs View Post
I'm sorry if I'm being a noob, but I don't know how that answers my question.
The Kindles have a CVM rather than a JVM.
Differences and similarities explained in the link.

I.E: the command 'java' is not the only way to run a java program.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:15 PM   #5
virtualdxs
|_| |3 Ǝ Ʀ G 3 3 |<

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The Kindles have a CVM rather than a JVM.
Differences and similarities explained in the link.

I.E: the command 'java' is not the only way to run a java program.
Thanks. Does a CVM have a command other than 'java'? If so, what is it, and if not, how do I launch it?
Advert
Old 02-01-2014, 09:19 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
http://docs.oracle.com/javame/config...e/html/cvm.htm
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:24 PM   #7
virtualdxs
|_| |3 Ǝ Ʀ G 3 3 |<

Code:
#################################################
#  N O T I C E  *  N O T I C E  *  N O T I C E  #
Rootfs is mounted read-only. Invoke mntroot rw to
switch back to a writable rootfs.
[root@kindle root]# cvm -h
-sh: cvm: not found
[root@kindle root]#
Old 02-01-2014, 09:29 PM   #8
virtualdxs
|_| |3 Ǝ Ʀ G 3 3 |<

Never mind. I found it in /usr/java/bin.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:34 PM   #9
virtualdxs
|_| |3 Ǝ Ʀ G 3 3 |<

Still not working right.

Code:
[root@kindle /]# /usr/java/bin/cvm --help
Could not create JVM.
[root@kindle /]# /usr/java/bin/cvm -help
[root@kindle /]# /usr/java/bin/cvm -h
Could not create JVM.
[root@kindle /]#
Old 02-02-2014, 05:56 AM   #10
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Yup, they dont make it easy huh.

It's been a while but... https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...84&postcount=8 I think is the cvm on the touch.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:44 AM   #11
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=214488

do you need echolink? would a ssh tunnel work well instead? I've tunneled tons of encrypted traffic that way to my home pc, tons of examples on the net. Good luck!
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:52 AM   #12
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualdxs View Post
Hello, all. I am trying to set up an EchoLink Proxy on my Kindle, which is a jar file. I thought this would be easy, since I knew that the Kindle was built on about half Java. However, it seems that the Kindle doesn't have the 'java' command. So will it be easy to make a Kindlet out of the attached jar file?

Note: The .jar file needs access to the .conf file.
It should not be terribly difficult, but it won't be totally trivial either.

Here's some background:

The Kindles do indeed come with a JVM. In fact, (almost) the entire framework frontend is written in Java. So, when a Kindle runs, there is already a running JVM.

Kindlets are then simply classes which are loaded at runtime, and which can "take over" the screen - using a predefined API, and normally with restricted functionality (but the latter part can be overcome with the Kindlet Jailbreak).

I have not tried your jar file (in fact, I don't even know what echolink is), but you have two possibilities:

1. Figure out how to start a second JVM which runs your jar file. On a "real" computer, that would usually be "java -jar myapp.jar", but the Kindle cvm may need different parameters. You should be able to figure them out by looking at the output of "ps wwwaux|grep cvm".

2. Write a proper Kindlet which bundles your jar, and calls the respective functionality. That may be a lot trickier, especially for jars which rely on the console (System.in, System.out, etc) and/or which require unrestricted functionality (network I/O via Sockets etc).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:38 PM   #13
virtualdxs
|_| |3 Ǝ Ʀ G 3 3 |<

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianinmaine View Post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=214488

do you need echolink? would a ssh tunnel work well instead? I've tunneled tons of encrypted traffic that way to my home pc, tons of examples on the net. Good luck!
I know about that, and that's exactly why I need this. You see, I can ONLY access the Internet through an SSH tunnel. EchoLink is a service for hams (Amateur Radio operators) to send sham radio signals through the Internet. However, the only type of proxy it supports is that jar file. Therefore, I need that proxy running on my Kindle to use EchoLink.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:43 PM   #14
virtualdxs
|_| |3 Ǝ Ʀ G 3 3 |<

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Yup, they dont make it easy huh.

It's been a while but... https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...84&postcount=8 I think is the cvm on the touch.
How do you get that log?
Old 02-03-2014, 07:48 PM   #15
virtualdxs
|_| |3 Ǝ Ʀ G 3 3 |<

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
It should not be terribly difficult, but it won't be totally trivial either.

Here's some background:

The Kindles do indeed come with a JVM. In fact, (almost) the entire framework frontend is written in Java. So, when a Kindle runs, there is already a running JVM.

Kindlets are then simply classes which are loaded at runtime, and which can "take over" the screen - using a predefined API, and normally with restricted functionality (but the latter part can be overcome with the Kindlet Jailbreak).

I have not tried your jar file (in fact, I don't even know what echolink is), but you have two possibilities:

1. Figure out how to start a second JVM which runs your jar file. On a "real" computer, that would usually be "java -jar myapp.jar", but the Kindle cvm may need different parameters. You should be able to figure them out by looking at the output of "ps wwwaux|grep cvm".

2. Write a proper Kindlet which bundles your jar, and calls the respective functionality. That may be a lot trickier, especially for jars which rely on the console (System.in, System.out, etc) and/or which require unrestricted functionality (network I/O via Sockets etc).
I'll find the parameters for CVM, since (just about) all I know about Java is that it's NOT JavaScript.