Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Is you sony reader affected by Ghosting ?
Yes, I do see something 72 62.07%
No, even when looking carefully, the screen is clear 35 30.17%
N/A 9 7.76%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-05-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
megar
megar began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Sony PRS ghosting problem ?

I'd like to know if I am the only one to suffer of Ghosting with the new PRS-650.

I attached a 3-page PDF, so you can test your reader.
The first page is a black page.
The second page is a page with some black boxes.
The third page is a white page.

When you open the pdf, you see the black page. Go to next page (the page with the boxes). Then go to the third page. Are you able to see the boxes on the white page ?
I do ! (it may be hard to see, but it's there)

It seems the screen refresh does not clear the screen completely. Maybe it is too fast to let the screen refresh. I tested it under normal conditions (temperature, dryness of the air).

When I tap the "zoom" button, then tap the close button, the screen refreshes. I can not see anything anymore *except* for the "zoom" options. I clearly see the close button !

The PRS-600 suffered from the same type of problem. I had hoped that sony fixed it, but it is not the case. It is sad, because when you fast-forward through a book, the last screen refresh after you release the "left" or "right" button does do a true refresh.

Ok, it is light. But on images (in a book with illustrations), it is very noticeable.

Am I the only one ? Are the other models affected as well ?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf testghost.pdf (39.5 KB, 640 views)
megar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I don't think the ghosting problem is any bette or worse then my previous 505 or 600.

Darker pictures usually too 2 pages turns to completely wipe away.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2010, 01:08 PM   #3
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Yes, there is a little bit of ghosting, but it goes after a few page turns. Probably about the same as the 505.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:33 PM   #4
hamfitz
Enthusiast
hamfitz began at the beginning.

Device: aluratek libre, sony prs 650, nook
i notice some faint ghosting if a page is only half full sometimes. it is kind of annoying but doesn't really bother me.
hamfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:33 PM   #5
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
I haven't had a chance to test your PDF yet, but I have noticed that in the few thousand pages I've read on the 350 so far, six to eight pages will look ghosted (no pictures, just text). More than ghosted, I suppose -- when I flip to the offending page, the background is much darker and the text of the new page, grey and not anti-aliased, is superimposed over the white text of the previous page. It's like the screen refresh hasn't cleared completely after the black flash. It'll usually go away if I reopen that page again.

I thought it may have meant a faulty reader at first, but if it only happens a couple of times and can be fixed with another screen refresh, then I suppose that's not too bad at all.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2010, 08:37 PM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Yep, once in a while, but not really an issue.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:47 PM   #7
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Sony: PRS-300, PRS-350. Kobo: Aura v2, Clara HD, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Yep, once in a while, but not really an issue.
Same here, been doing this on my PRS-300 too so most probably a eInk issue.
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:00 PM   #8
dminoz
Enthusiast
dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Yes, sometimes dark elements persist a little, but only for a single page turn. It's not a problem.
dminoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:09 PM   #9
yts06mgr
Nameless Being

flipping a couple of pages makes it go away, so there is no problem here.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:07 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Nothing different from my BBMini. It's not annoying and only happens when you have two high-contrast pages (or menus)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:26 AM   #11
savethebutterfly
Nameless Being

Occasionally, I can see some ghosting as well but it is not a problem.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:29 AM   #12
megar
megar began at the beginning.

Well. When I read a book with some pictures, the text from the previous page is clearly visible on the picture.
It is annoying, because, I have no way to get the image displayed correctly. Since the next page also contains text, when I go back to the page with the pictures, the picture still has some shadows over it.

It annoys me because it is so an expensive ebook reader and I'm sure it can be corrected by software. But as most of you are saying it is not a problem, i guess Sony will never work on it.

But now, I know that my device is not faulty, so thank you !
megar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:28 AM   #13
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by megar View Post
Well. When I read a book with some pictures, the text from the previous page is clearly visible on the picture.
It is annoying, because, I have no way to get the image displayed correctly. Since the next page also contains text, when I go back to the page with the pictures, the picture still has some shadows over it.
Press the zoom key, then cancel it. You'll still get a bit of ghosting, but not a whole page's worth.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:51 AM   #14
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by megar View Post

It annoys me because it is so an expensive ebook reader and I'm sure it can be corrected by software. But as most of you are saying it is not a problem, i guess Sony will never work on it.

But now, I know that my device is not faulty, so thank you !
It is inherent in eink displays. Goes with the territory.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:21 PM   #15
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
My PRS-505 has always had a ghosting problem. I just figured that this was inherent to e-ink screens. It's a bit like reading something printed on really cheap newsprint where the ink from the other side of the paper is visible. I find e-ink very poor for greyscale graphics. Nevermind the restricted levels, the poor contrast will make images look like very poor newspaper images.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote