Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
BunnyGal
Enthusiast
BunnyGal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HDX
Help getting images into Ebook using Calibre

I joined this group hoping someone can help me resolve an issue.

I have a .RAR file that I would like to convert to an ebook (MOBI or EPub) using Calibre.

The archive contains the .html file which, when clicked, opens the book without any images in a web browser. The archive also contains a .ncx file and a .opf file. Additionally the archive contains a sub-folder called "Images" that contains the cover image and all other images that should be in the book.

When I add the RAR file to Calibre and choose convert, it does create the EBook, but no images are in it. I can manually browse to select the cover image from the "Images" folder in the archive file and it shows up, but all the other images that are in the images folder, that should be in the book, dont get imported into the book.

I'm somewhat new to Calibre and this is the first time I've tried making an ebook from an archive that contains the *ingredients* to make the book.

What do I need to do to get the images to automatically go into the book where the image placeholders appear?

In addition to adding the .RAR file directly to Calibre, I tried extracting all the components into a folder then used Calibre to open the .html file hoping it would find the images in the folder - that didn't work.

I'm guessing I need to customize something in the program to tell it to insert the images? But I haven't a clue.

Thank you!
BunnyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If the images do not show when you open the web page in a browser then they will not show up in the ebook.

The HTML of the ebook should reference all these images as relative URL's that include the path to the image files. If it is set up like that the images will show up in the browser and will also be pulled in when you add the HTML file to Calibre. It will then show up when you convert to other ebook formats.

I would assume that a quick look at the HTML should show you where it is trying to reference the images. Moving them to where it expects may well be easier than trying to change the HTML to reference them where they currently are located.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
BunnyGal
Enthusiast

Images appear in html - dissapear once converted.

Quote:
The HTML of the ebook should reference all these images as relative URL's that include the path to the image files. If it is set up like that the images will show up in the browser and will also be pulled in when you add the HTML file to Calibre. It will then show up when you convert to other ebook formats
Thank you. After I posted I worked with it a bit more. I got rid of all the versions I had attempted and started fresh. When I open the .html file from the RAR archive, the images ARE there (when viewed in internet explorer). There is no cover image in the .html version, but all the other images are in the document.

When I add the .html to Calibre the images ARE there when its still a .html file. However, if I convert it to a .EPub or .MOBI file then the images disappera and are replaced by a blue box with a white question mark in the center of it.

Why do the images appear in the .html but are only displayed as a box with a question mark in it once converted?

Last edited by GRiker; 03-21-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
BunnyGal
Enthusiast

HTML is changing path

Ok - I figured out why the images aren't showing up, but I dont know how to fix it.

When I extract the contents of the RAR (which includes the images folder (with images in it) and the .html file) and then open the .html file from the folder I extracted the files to, the images appear in the .html file and the properties for each image are pointing to the correct location.

If I use calibre to add the .html file, for some reason the path to all the images in the .html file automatically changes to a location
in: (my username)/AppData/Local/Temp/

I tried putting all the images in the temp file, but then realized that the path of each and every image (there's about 100) changes to its own subfolder within the Temp folder. I'd have to create 100 folders in the temp folder and put the correct image in each folder.

Why is the image path changing when I add the .html file through Calibre?
How do I stop it?

I tried unpacking the contents of the RAR file directly into the "Calibre Library" folder where the contents for all books in the library are stored and then added the .html file from the calibre library. If I open the .html file in IE, the images are perfect, if I use calibre and add the .html file (from the calibre library folder) then automatically all the image placeholders change path to a bunch of different folders in my appdata/local/temp folder....

Frustrating, but i'm guessing there some way to stop the redirect of the image paths?
Old 03-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
In the HTML file are the image files pointing to a location on your hard disk, or to a web address? For an ebook the HAVE to be held locally on your hard disk. Calibre does not include the images if that is not the case.

It iis perfectly normal for Calibre to be changing the path when adding the book to it's library. It should be changing the path to one that is appropriate for the ebook.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2013, 10:43 AM   #6
BunnyGal
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
In the HTML file are the image files pointing to a location on your hard disk, or to a web address? For an ebook the HAVE to be held locally on your hard disk. Calibre does not include the images if that is not the case.

It iis perfectly normal for Calibre to be changing the path when adding the book to it's library. It should be changing the path to one that is appropriate for the ebook.
The images in the HTML file are pointing to a location on my hard drive. I listed the location in my last message. They are "originally" pointing to the images in the same folder the html is in. Once I add the html file to calibre and convert the book, the path of the HTML files changes to another location on my hard drive Users/appdata/temp - however the images are not in that location so they aren't being pulled in. Converting the file causes the path for the html files to change to a location on my hard drive where the images do not exist.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyGal View Post
The images in the HTML file are pointing to a location on my hard drive. I listed the location in my last message. They are "originally" pointing to the images in the same folder the html is in. Once I add the html file to calibre and convert the book, the path of the HTML files changes to another location on my hard drive Users/appdata/temp - however the images are not in that location so they aren't being pulled in. Converting the file causes the path for the html files to change to a location on my hard drive where the images do not exist.
I think this still applies: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....specific-order
When you Import this way, calibre wraps all the items needed into a Zip file and adjusts the path to RELATIVE to the zip. They stay together that way.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
BunnyGal - can you post a listing of the contents of the original RAR and the contents of Calibre's copy of the RAR - if the images are in a subfolder, could you also list its content.

Users/appdata/temp is temporary storage - when the RAR unpacked by something like IE it does it to that location and when its done it removes them permanently.

Probably irrelevant but

How did you create the RAR - ie with what program, and did you create it from a folder, or have you been adding & deleting things to an existing RAR.

I use a program that will not process RARs that have been 'updated' after their initial creation, it also throws its toys out of the pram if the RAR is > 512MB. But its the only program I know of that does what it does :sigh:

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-22-2013 at 06:19 PM. Reason: redundancy removal
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:16 PM   #9
writerkit
Enthusiast
writerkit began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyGal View Post
Ok - I figured out why the images aren't showing up, but I dont know how to fix it.

When I extract the contents of the RAR (which includes the images folder (with images in it) and the .html file) and then open the .html file from the folder I extracted the files to, the images appear in the .html file and the properties for each image are pointing to the correct location.
Can you paste the code from the original HTML file (before the Calibre conversion) here so we can look at it?

Also, are the images inside the same folder as the HTML file, or in a folder inside the folder, etc.?

Last edited by writerkit; 03-25-2013 at 10:18 PM. Reason: missing part of the comment
writerkit is offline   Reply With Quote