Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-09-2010, 02:13 AM   #1
Charbax
Addict
Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

New Pixel Qi videos from CES

I test it outdoors by the Venetian in Las Vegas:

http://armdevices.net/2010/01/08/cha...i-at-ces-2010/

Wow, awesome.

New interview with Mary Lou Jepsen, Founder of Pixel Qi, about the status of the screens:

http://armdevices.net/2010/01/08/mar...i-at-ces-2010/

Last edited by Charbax; 01-09-2010 at 02:32 AM.
Charbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:16 AM   #2
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
EXCELLENT vids....people should watch both but the interview with Mary Lou is really good. They are delivering everything promised in your June/July interviews and seem right on the schedule they indicated.

Basically, I got from this was it is all in the hands of the mfg now. Of course PixelQi will keep refining their panels as mentioned but even now in this first generation they look great. Can't wait to see a couple tablet/slate PC-Reader devices.

Thanks for being there and putting out these fun videos!!
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2010, 05:54 AM   #3
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Yes, that was an interesting interview. It's nice to hear that they are planning for volume production with a relatively small price premium over current LCD technology. I certainly hope they reach their target of 100mW pretty soon, though. Half a watt is still far too high for small devices (at 1.5V it would draw 333mA an hour, which would drain the battery in a Sony 505 in a little over 3 hours).
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
Charbax
Addict
Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, I would really appreciate if one of you would like to submit tips to some of the big tech sites for any of my videos which you find should be worthy of being embedded there to get more viewers. I am so busy filming more videos, I nearly don't even have the time to upload and post all the videos to the site.

And if anyone would like to suggest which other ereaders or anything else that I should film, I have been walking around constantly for the past two days but I don't think I have past yet by even 20% of the booths here and it might get a little random what I find in the next two days of the trade show.
Charbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:04 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I really want this screen on my next laptop. This is my upgrade year, so I'm holding out.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2010, 01:02 PM   #6
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
Yes, that was an interesting interview. It's nice to hear that they are planning for volume production with a relatively small price premium over current LCD technology. I certainly hope they reach their target of 100mW pretty soon, though. Half a watt is still far too high for small devices (at 1.5V it would draw 333mA an hour, which would drain the battery in a Sony 505 in a little over 3 hours).
confused? according to the notion tablet with this screen its the screen that enablesthem to increase the battery life as it uses so little power.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:43 PM   #7
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Wow, that video does a great job of showing off the screen capability. I can't imagine any laptop manufacturer not at least offering these screens as an option. It certainly seems like the claims they've been making for their screens are right on target with the actual production panels.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:45 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbax View Post
And if anyone would like to suggest which other ereaders or anything else that I should film, I have been walking around constantly for the past two days but I don't think I have past yet by even 20% of the booths here and it might get a little random what I find in the next two days of the trade show.
Whatever new ebook Readers Astak (Booth #12640) has on display would be interesting. If there is actually a PocketBook 901 on display in the Netronix (last I heard sharing the Astak booth) or PocketBook booths that would be worth looking into. Astak may have them, but the Jinke A6 and A9 appear to be the first out of the gate with SiPix screens. If Jinke or any of their resellers have working models then these would be very interesting.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:27 PM   #9
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Good stuff Charbax. You've always been one of the biggest sources of info on Pixel Qi on the net.

I'd recommend checking out Liquavista if you have a chance, though they're just doing demos right now.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:35 PM   #10
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
confused? according to the notion tablet with this screen its the screen that enablesthem to increase the battery life as it uses so little power.
It does increase battery life, but the difference is from about 2.5w to 0.5w, which is pretty noticeable for larger-battery devices that use the larger 10" screens, but if paired to some of the really diminutive batteries used in thin/light ebook readers and other small devices, 0.5w is still quite a bit of power draw--much more than, say, the reflective LCD in the jetBook.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:45 PM   #11
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Great videos again Charbax.

If you could get a video of the Notion Ink Adam tablet with the Pixel Qi display it would be great.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:36 PM   #12
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Good video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I really want this screen on my next laptop. This is my upgrade year, so I'm holding out.
I can't wait to see this on my next cell phone. Of all the devices I use, my cell is the one most likely to be used outside AND could really use a battery boost.

I'm looking forward to a decent tablet selection with Pixel Qi, but honestly, I don't imagine I'll be buying soon.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:30 AM   #13
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Whatever new ebook Readers Astak (Booth #12640) has on display would be interesting. If there is actually a PocketBook 901 on display in the Netronix (last I heard sharing the Astak booth) or PocketBook booths that would be worth looking into. Astak may have them, but the Jinke A6 and A9 appear to be the first out of the gate with SiPix screens. If Jinke or any of their resellers have working models then these would be very interesting.
I met Charbax today at the PocketBook booth. He definitely got video of the prototype 901- I was hoarding it before he got there
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:00 AM   #14
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Remember that the typical netbook battery has far more capacity than the batteries used in truly portable devices. The Sony 505 uses a 750mAh battery, whereas the Asus eee uses a 6600mAh one. My rough calculation was a bit off since LiIons provide 3.2V of course, which can be transformed down; but since the controllers and flash will need to be powered as well it's not far off.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:39 AM   #15
rlaskey
rlaskey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
...I can't wait to see this on my next cell phone. Of all the devices I use, my cell is the one most likely to be used outside AND could really use a battery boost...
Hmm, this is a really, really great idea. I haven't heard of anyone speaking to this beforehand, though it makes a hell of a lot of sense. Would be interesting to know what the specs are on some OLED screens of similar sizes, see what's the difference in power requirements. Battery life and power consumption by the screen are certainly the biggest opponents in the cell phone systems.
rlaskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ces, pixel qi