Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-03-2009, 10:33 AM   #1
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Sony PRS-505/E-PUB news/reflow resets

Does anyone happen to know if the 505 will self-reset if it runs out of memory when reflowing an epub document?

I'm asking as I just ran the .14 version of calibre grabbing several days worth from Tom's Hardware under windows today, and have been having problems where it looks like its reflowing(the rotating arrows icon) runs for a bit, then the reader reboots. The epub is fairly large, as I'd been running under linux for several days and using calibre .14 there w/no problems.

Other sites, e.g. the Register, Ars, etc. are running fine, and after reading/deleting those I re-tried THW and it rebooted the reader again but it looks like the reflow lasted a bit longer.

The 505's main storage(flash) has about 95MB free, and since it still occurs after reboot almost all DRAM should be available minus what is being used by the kernel + Sony apps.

I'll try to check the size of the THW epub later today and update, but I haven't the time ATM and will be away from the machine for several hours. The info button on the reader reports it as 4.2MB(seems kind of small to exhaust memory)

Any other ideas? (If necessary when I? have time I'll try re-formatting internal memory. Also have a 128MB uSD card in a SD adapter in use on the device, battery icon shows c. 50%, US model .18040)
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:39 AM   #2
QubyB
Trick Kiter
QubyB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Every now and then the 505 resets when opening files that are transferred via calibre. It happens with LRF for sure, maybe also with Epub although I have not seen that happen yet. Anyhow, the 505 needs to do some "page reshuffling" first when the files come from calibre and that is when it resets.

The workaround that is mentioned in the calibre FAQ for LRF reset problems is to transfer the files to the device using Sony Library. The library "reshuffles" the files and they open instantly on the reader. Maybe this solves the issue for your Epub files too? Worth a try.

My (LRF) reset problems indeed were gone workig this way.
QubyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The device does occassionally reboot when reflowing complex EPUB files. The size of the file shouldn't make much difference, since the file is split up internally into chunks and the reader only has to render a single chunk at a time. It may be that the tom's hardware website has introduced some HTML that the reader can't handle and I'll have to update the recipe to strip it. Open a bug report and I'll lok into it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:39 PM   #4
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Kovid, I'll try to make sure that there's really a bug here first though to hopefully save some time. I'll try manually running the fetch & convert scripts and see if anything pops up, as well as trying grabbing varying number of days first and dump the result into the ticket if necessary.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:49 AM   #5
cutterjohn42
Addict

A small update before doing anything else this morning I decided to do a run of fetching Tom's HW from the linux version of calibre(.14), downloaded it to the 505 and it worked perfectly. Even the articles that were giving trouble yesterday.

Now to just be complete I need to boot back to Windows and try downloading it from there and see what happens...
Advert
Old 06-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #6
Peter Sorotokin
speaking for myself
Peter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it is

Device: PRS-505
While you are booted to Windows, could you try it in Digital Editions? If that EPUB crashes it as well, I'd like to get my hands on it too.
Peter Sorotokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:02 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sorotokin View Post
While you are booted to Windows, could you try it in Digital Editions? If that EPUB crashes it as well, I'd like to get my hands on it too.
Peter, you might want to take a look at http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/wiki/ADEQuirks
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:16 AM   #8
cutterjohn42
Addict

Will check Adobe, and backup a copy of the problem file just for the helluvit anyways.

It WILL be afternoon(here) at the earliest, before I am free to reboot into Windows, as I generally only use it for gaming(ultra low quality catalyst linux drivers suck the fun out of linux -- stay far far away from ATI for linux/X11 until they hire someone who can actually write useful drivers), and am currently busy with another project for a while.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:22 PM   #9
cutterjohn42
Addict

Double posting bump for update, (booted to windows %^&#%@*! catalyst, their driver team needs to badly be fired en masse along with poaching of nvidia's crew), the epub of Tom's HW from yesterday morning displayed fine in Calibre's associated reader app, Sony's e-library, and the Adobe Digital Editions reader view.

The Sony reader had a bit of problems with the file in that it was VERY slow at turning pages and sometimes seemed like it was turning a page but not actually going to a new page. I also noticed places where a few esxtra image items or something were appearing like mini Calibre title screen image in about thumbnail size.

Want me to upload the epub? I think that it's likely some sort of freak corruption of the file though personally, although so far I have created a new copy uner windows for today, but have not tried that one on the various computer side viewers or my reader.

[EDIT]
OK something freaky must've happened to that epub yesterday as today's download is even paging fine in Sony's window's viewer/library app...
[/EDIT]

[EDIT2]
Went ahead and uploaded the epub plus title(probably not necessary) for the helluvit anyways...
[/EDIT2]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	30315  
Attached Files
File Type: epub Tom's Hardware US _Wed, 03 Jun 2009_ - calibre.epub (4.22 MB, 286 views)

Last edited by cutterjohn42; 06-04-2009 at 10:32 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:11 PM   #10
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'll check this out since I wrote the recipe.
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:36 PM   #11
pato1
pato1 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Hi,

Sorry if I should've started a new thread. I'm a newbie. :-)

I also have a problem of speed/flowing of pages/chapters. I am converting some novels into epub-format and am splitting the xhtml-files into chapters. Problem is that some books have large or no chapters. I read that files have to be under 300KB. I have files that are 150-250KB. Some books that I have generated are really very slow on the 505. (20-30 secs when changing chapters). Could this be the problem? I read Kovid's mention about style and pagebreaks on TOC's. Would this have an effect on the buildup of chapters in the 505 or should I be looking at generating much smaller .XHTML files?
Cheers for any help

Pat

Last edited by pato1; 06-07-2009 at 04:00 PM.
pato1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:16 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sorotokin View Post
Speaking of ePub, when is Sony going to update ADE to the latest version with justification?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:36 AM   #13
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Speaking of ePub, when is Sony going to update ADE to the latest version with justification?
Probably when they develop new model PRS-1000. Don't forget they like to earn money.
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:43 PM   #14
Peter Sorotokin
speaking for myself
Peter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it is

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Peter, you might want to take a look at http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/wiki/ADEQuirks
Sure, thanks for the pointer!
Peter Sorotokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:19 AM   #15
cutterjohn42
Addict

Just a small comment to add here, I've made use of the THW recipe several times since the above original resetting problems and have had none on the 4 or 5 downloads since then.

Did the .epub file attached above get corrupted? (I was too lazy to unzip & inspect it, since things seemed to be fine the next day... and I'd go off on the ATI tangent again but... :P so I'll just say if you're even remotely thinking about X.org just don't anywhere close to an ATI product until the OSS drivers are mature.)

Last edited by cutterjohn42; 06-10-2009 at 11:21 AM.