Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-16-2008, 08:27 AM   #1
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Sony Reader on pre-order at the Fnac (France) ; ebooks coming soon too !

Eagle-eyed member bookainss has spotted the new pre-order page for the Sony Reader on the site of the Fnac. As announced it can be had for 299€ ; delivery scheduled for the 23 October.

But what about books ??? After all, a Sony is very pretty but if there's nothing inside it's not much use... taking a look around the site I discovered that ebooks will be coming soon to the site as well. They announce "more than 2000 books to download" exclusively on fnac.com including the best of the new litterary season, fundamental works and classics. The page doubles as an ad for the Sony Reader with several testimonials from some lucky people who apparently got their sticky paws on an advance reader !

So what do you think of this offer ? Will French publishers finally catch on ? With the help of the (very well-known chain) Fnac will ebooks finally gain some much-needed visibility in France ? Will the french reading public throw themselves on ebooks with joy or cry "blasphemy ! we want paper !" ? Will they think 299€ is a bit steep given the price you can get the Sony for in the States, and the current exchange rate ???? Find out more in the next episode, same bat-time, same bat-channel !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:53 AM   #2
kesey
Enthusiast
kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
Will they think 299€ is a bit steep given the price you can get the Sony for in the States, and the current exchange rate

The price of the PRS-505 in Ireland is €249.00
In the UK, it is £199.00. You can use the following to do a quick currency comparision:

http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi

In short, FNAC are being hungry buggers in asking €299 for the 505. Anyone coming to Ireland (maybe to see Montauban or Clermont Auvergne play Munster) or to the UK could buy a 505 for €50 cheaper than at home.
kesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2008, 08:56 AM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Oh wow, 2000 books. I had no idea the French write so much
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:01 AM   #4
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Be nice to the french.... They can't help themselves
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:06 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please don't make offensive comments.

Thanks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2008, 09:09 AM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesey View Post
The price of the PRS-505 in Ireland is €249.00
In the UK, it is £199.00. You can use the following to do a quick currency comparision:

http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi

In short, FNAC are being hungry buggers in asking €299 for the 505. Anyone coming to Ireland (maybe to see Montauban or Clermont Auvergne play Munster) or to the UK could buy a 505 for €50 cheaper than at home.
i don't know if it is the Fnac or Sony who are being hungry buggers but i agree that 299€ is pretty outrageous price... the price in the US 299$ and that translates to 210€, according to your conversion site... that is almost 100€ less than the french price !!! 1/3 less !! even with the cost of shipping it would be less expensive to buy it overseas. I doesn't seem like the optimal way to launch a product in a market which knows almost nothing about this product (france seems overall not too aware of ebooks, which surprises me given how many ebook-related companies are actually based here : bookeen, mobipocket, numilog... probably more i don't know about) so they will have to educate people and create interest to sell them. on top of that, they start with a price that is 30% higher than the identical product in the US. it seems like a bad strategy. i sincerely hope it will work, because it would be good for ebooks overall, but i know i personally would not pay that price for a sony.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:12 AM   #7
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please don't make offensive comments.

Thanks.
I hope you noted the big s**t-eating grin after my comment, it was absolutley not ment as an offensive comment.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:14 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know you were joking, but it's very easy to misunderstand the tone of such things. Best to avoid them, if you can.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:16 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
i don't know if it is the Fnac or Sony who are being hungry buggers but i agree that 299€ is pretty outrageous price... the price in the US 299$ and that translates to 210€, according to your conversion site... that is almost 100€ less than the french price !!!
Surely the French price includes 19.6% VAT, doesn't it? That makes the difference rather less, although it is still more expensive, certainly.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:18 AM   #10
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?

Quote:
Surely the French price includes 19.6% VAT, doesn't it? That makes the difference rather less, although it is still more expensive, certainly.
Isn't it also often the "normal" way to translate the pricing between EU and the US? We take the price in USD and slap a Euro sign in front of it? And vice versa
Old 09-16-2008, 09:18 AM   #11
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
oh yes, it does, but don't you pay VAT in the UK and Ireland as well ? i don't know the rates, but surely it can't make a difference of 50€ can it ?
Old 09-16-2008, 09:20 AM   #12
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Isn't it also often the "normal" way to translate the pricing between EU and the US? We take the price in USD and slap a Euro sign in front of it? And vice versa
it might be common practice but that doesn't mean it's right. and i can still complain about it.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:21 AM   #13
kesey
Enthusiast
kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
It's quality, not quantity, you need

I refer you for example to HarryT's uploads of Dumas. Not to mind Camus, Proust, Joyce and Beckett:-)
kesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:24 AM   #14
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?

Quote:
it might be common practice but that doesn't mean it's right. and i can still complain about it.
It's definitly not right, and yes, you have my benign permission to complain about it. Just that it seems to be the same about most things.

I really want to buy a PopCorn A-110, checked the US site, and it sells for 215 USD there, checked a reseller in Sweden, and the price was more or less the same, plus our VAT which is the highest in the EU thank you very much. So I figured thats what they do for most items.

Which basicly sucks donkey genitalia as far as I am concerned.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:25 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, we do pay VAT, of course, although at a slightly lower rate (17.5% compared to your 19.6%).

It is a little cheaper in the UK and Ireland compared to France, yes. We're paying €212 excluding VAT; you're paying €250 excluding VAT.

Tags
fnac, france, pre-order, sony, sony 505