Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 05-19-2014, 11:59 AM   #826
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I'm listening to Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon (book 4 of the series) and am not as into it as I was the first three. It might be because I *really* liked the shorter format mystery of the Lord John book I just finished, but I think it is because I personally feel like the first part of this book takes a long time to get through. (I've read the books several times; this is my first time listening to it.)
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:07 PM   #827
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I would agree. By the time I got to Drums of Autumn, I kind of lost steam. It eventually picks up, but seems to take its own sweet time about it.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:56 PM   #828
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
Listening to Local Custom (Liaden Universe) written by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller. Really enjoying it, to the point where I am jubilant there is bad traffic. Well worth my Audible credit.
cadele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:04 AM   #829
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadele View Post
Listening to Local Custom (Liaden Universe) written by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller. Really enjoying it, to the point where I am jubilant there is bad traffic. Well worth my Audible credit.
Oh, good! Another Liaden reader. Welcome to one of my favourite series.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:20 PM   #830
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
A couple of weeks ago I finished up the May MobileRead Book Club selection via audiobook. I started The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith on my Kindle, but when it looked as things were getting a bit rushed, I went to one of the branches of our local library and checked out the Hachette audiobook. Robert Glenister was the reader for Ms Rowling's book, and he did an excellent job. The book was quite enjoyable, although a bit longer than necessary, in my opinion. I'm looking forward to seeing this detective and his very talented and resourceful secretary again.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:45 AM   #831
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Just finished up Devlin's Honor, the second in Patricia Bray's Sword of Change trilogy. I listened to the first, Devlin's Luck a few months ago, and have the third, in my queue on my iTouch. I read the series years ago when it first came out and enjoyed it a lot. While the reader for the audiobooks doesn't project the amount of personality that some of the top readers do, he does a good job. There is a huge difference between not being one of the top readers and being bad.

In general, I tend to try to alternate between tones of books that I listen to, a lighter book followed by a darker book. There isn't exactly a whole lot of comic relief in the Sword of Change trilogy.

Speaking of top readers, two of my favorite readers, Jim Marsters and Oliver Wyman have books coming up. Marsters is the reader of the Harry Dresden books and Wyman is the reader of the Monster Hunters books by Larry Correia as well as the Safehold series by David Weber and a host of other books.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:21 PM   #832
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just started listening to Skin Games, by some obscure author named Jim Butcher ;-). Kind of interesting, listening to and reading a book at the same time.

I don't know if the way I buy audiobooks is the norm or not. Basically, what I do is scan through the new releases every couple of weeks and put books I am interested in, in my wish list. If I'm interested in a series, I tend to put the whole series in the wish lists. Almost all of the audiobooks that I buy, are books that I've read either in dead tree form, or as an ebook.

Every so often, I buy a batch of audiobooks. The triggering event is either a new book come out that I really want to listen to now (such as Skin Games), or I'm running low on a particular style of book that I want to listen to, or Audible has a sale and several of the books in my wish list are on sale. Whatever the triggering event is, I typically will buy 5 or 6 at a time. Then I put them in my ebooks playlist, reshuffle the playlist to put them in the order I want and away I go for a month or two.

Last edited by pwalker8; 06-01-2014 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:41 PM   #833
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Now, Murder and Mendelssohn, #20 in the Phryne Fisher series. Written by Kerry Greenwood, and read excellently by Stephanie Daniel. I'm looking forward to this with very mixed feelings. I've been hording these Phryne Fisher books because they are such a delight, but this is the last one so far and one has no surety of when there may be a new one.
Finished, and it gets a solid 4.5 out of 5. Also finished The Lion in the Valley (Amelia Peabody #4) by Elizabeth Peters, read by Barbara Rosenblatt. I really like this series, and very much enjoy Ms. Rosenblatt's reading.

Next up, Off Armageddon Reef, by David Weber, ready by Oliver Wyman. I read this in hard back many years ago, but decided to go back through the series, but reading it in Audible format this time. We'll see how the first one goes, however, before I buy any more.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:29 AM   #834
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

I really liked Off Armageddon Reef and think that Oliver Wyman does a great job.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:54 PM   #835
CRussel
(he/him/his)

I read this way back when it first released, in DT format, and also read the next several in the series. I've started the first, and I know the beginning drags a bit, so I'm being patient. We'll see.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:20 PM   #836
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just finished Oscar Wilde: Art and Morality edited by Stewart Mason, a Librivox.org recording. It's been my experience that Librivox recordings, being by necessity read by volunteers, are of a hit and miss quality. These recordings, read by Martin Geeson, are definitely in the "hit" category. I thoroughly enjoyed his style of presentation. This book consists largely of the criticism of The Picture of Dorian Gray by newspaper critics and Wilde's response to them, as well as selections from his trial. The whole back and forth banter would have been enjoyable were it not for my knowledge of the terrible price Wilde eventually paid for his talent and wit in a world that wasn't ready for him.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:26 PM   #837
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I finished up The Towers of Sunset (Recluce 2), which got better toward the end. I happened to finish it on release day for Skin Game (Dresden Files 15), so that was next. A lot of people have heralded it as the best Dresden book yet, but I'd rank it somewhere in the middle. I finished it a couple days ago and started into Peacemaker (Foreigner 15), but haven't been listening much while I binge watch Orange is the New Black on Netflix
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:50 PM   #838
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Next up, Off Armageddon Reef, by David Weber, ready by Oliver Wyman. I read this in hard back many years ago, but decided to go back through the series, but reading it in Audible format this time. We'll see how the first one goes, however, before I buy any more.
Finished, moving on to the second in the series, By Schism Rent Asunder. Unfortunately, this is easily the weakest in the series, at least of the ones I've read. But I'm going to plow through it, since my memory is that things improve after this book.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:52 PM   #839
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Finished, moving on to the second in the series, By Schism Rent Asunder. Unfortunately, this is easily the weakest in the series, at least of the ones I've read. But I'm going to plow through it, since my memory is that things improve after this book.
I don't remember By Schism Rent Asunder being weak, but it has been a while since I read it. There was one of the middle books that I though was mostly a combination of setting up and "gee it's great to be a parent, aren't little kids great" book that was written just about the time that Weber became a parent. Very little actual action in that book. I can't remember which on it was.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:35 PM   #840
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Just finished One Corpse Too Many by Ellis Peters (pseudonym of Edith Pargeter). This, the second novel in the Brother Cadfael series, takes place in the days of King Stephen and is a very enjoyable blend of romance, mystery, history, and adventure. Like the first book in this Blackstone Audio series of recordings, it was wonderfully read by Johanna Ward (a.k.a. Kate Reading), and at the very affordable price for the unabridged iPad app of $9.99, this is another audiobook I highly recommended.

That $9.99 price frightens me a little. My suspicious nature tells me it's a come-on that will last only until enough people have discovered these gems, but whether it is or not, I'm going to enjoy the prices while they last.

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations