Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-28-2008, 11:29 AM   #1
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
ECTACO jetBook Now Includes Fodor's Travel Guide

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2008/10/prweb1523474.htm

Ectaco announced that the jetBook eBook reader will support both - most popular in US MobiPocket format and open EPUB format in Q1,2009. Many professionals think that this event will make jetBook the greatest eBook reading platform in the US and Europe
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:32 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
epub and mobipocket support on jetbook ! that is brilliant news indeed !!!
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2008, 12:05 PM   #3
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Well, if Mobi support is DRM free, then I think it is great (since Stanza and FBreader support DRM Free mobi, I will be able to read books on the Mac despite Mobi's apparent reluctance to support Macs.

Certainly it will make it easier to read newer books on the device.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:07 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

supporting epub, the new industry standard, is also really good news for reading newer books, and takes us one step closer to the end of ebabel (i hope).
Old 10-28-2008, 12:17 PM   #5
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well ultimately, ebable death requires standardization across the board. Which means DRM has to die or at the very least a consistent standard be set up by which one and only one, non-proprietary standard is used for DRM. As soon as DRM is made specific to a particular implementation of ePub, we essentially have transitioned ebable to a slightly different arena, not eliminated it.

--
Bill
Advert
Old 10-28-2008, 12:30 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
With The International Digital Publishing Forum newly released EPUB specification format based on XML, this is the new standard for eBook production and leading eBook device manufacturers.
Ectaco announced that the jetBook eBook reader will support both - most popular in US MobiPocket format and open EPUB format in Q1,2009. Many professionals think that this event will make jetBook the greatest eBook reading platform in the US and Europe
If we are basing what makes a great eBook reader based on what formats it supports, then we might as well give it to the V3 with more formats built-in then any other. The Jetbook is coming of age. But it's still playing catch-up and while it does that, we have other eBook readers going farther ahead. What should be done with the Jetbook to make it more popular is dump Mobipocket (if it's with DRM) and go to eReader as no device like this has eReader support (with DRM).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:35 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Well ultimately, ebable death requires standardization across the board. Which means DRM has to die or at the very least a consistent standard be set up by which one and only one, non-proprietary standard is used for DRM. As soon as DRM is made specific to a particular implementation of ePub, we essentially have transitioned ebable to a slightly different arena, not eliminated it.

--
Bill
agreed, but it's nonetheless another step in the right direction. rome wasn't built in a day, and all that, right ?
Old 10-28-2008, 12:43 PM   #8
bill_mchale
Wizard

Jon,
YES, YES, YES!.

I think everyone knows by now that I am not a fan of DRM. That being said, if I have to live with DRM, then eReader would be my choice. In fact, I sent an email to Ectaco asking them for eReader support. I think would be a good idea if others did as well.

It might also be useful if we emailed fictionwise asking them to give ereader software to dedicated device manufacturers; if their experience with the iPod teaches anything it is that they probably can make far more from books than from the software and the more places the format is available, the more likely they are to sell books.

--
Bill
Old 10-28-2008, 12:47 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Jon,
YES, YES, YES!.

I think everyone knows by now that I am not a fan of DRM. That being said, if I have to live with DRM, then eReader would be my choice. In fact, I sent an email to Ectaco asking them for eReader support. I think would be a good idea if others did as well.

It might also be useful if we emailed fictionwise asking them to give ereader software to dedicated device manufacturers; if their experience with the iPod teaches anything it is that they probably can make far more from books than from the software and the more places the format is available, the more likely they are to sell books.

--
Bill
In my opinion we already have good devices with Mobipocket support. But if the Jetbook had eReader support, it would be unique. That might help sell more to people using eReader on small handhelds. So why not go with something that's likely to make it unique and not just another in the pack?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:57 PM   #10
Milarepa
Enthusiast
Milarepa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Milarepa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Milarepa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Too bad that thing is so hideously ugly! Who cares what formats it supports when it looks like that?
Milarepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:42 PM   #11
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milarepa View Post
Too bad that thing is so hideously ugly! Who cares what formats it supports when it looks like that?
I can't agree that jetBook is ugly. I like 5" portable size, TFT screen without blinking when you page down and location of buttons. Some people don't like original red color but it is available in black (my favorite), white and gray colors now.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:44 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
[url]Ectaco announced that the jetBook eBook reader will support both - most popular in US MobiPocket format and open EPUB format in Q1,2009. Many professionals think that this event will make jetBook the greatest eBook reading platform in the US and Europe
Who are these "many professionals", please? Professionals in what field?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:48 PM   #13
bill_mchale
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milarepa View Post
Actually a lot of us. Despite its ugliness Kindle has certainly sold quite a few copies and I doubt anyone would accuse it of being beautiful.

And actually, while it may not match the industrial design of the Sony PRS devices, I think there are at least a few of us who don't think it is ugly. Certainly my friends who have seen it have made no negative comments abouts looks.

--
Bill
Old 10-28-2008, 01:50 PM   #14
bill_mchale
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Who are these "many professionals", please? Professionals in what field?
Harry, I will agree with you there... though the "Many professionals" comment was actually part of the Press Release and not Editorial comments added by Kris. So, I doubt we are going to get a list of those professionals.

--
Bill
Old 10-28-2008, 01:57 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
And actually, while it may not match the industrial design of the Sony PRS devices, I think there are at least a few of us who don't think it is ugly. Certainly my friends who have seen it have made no negative comments abouts looks.

--
Bill
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". I don't think the Kindle would win any beauty contests, but nonetheless it's sold rather well...
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote