Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-14-2010, 07:58 PM   #1
woodfairie
woodfairie began at the beginning.

Device: prs - 600
Never will buy another sony product !

Sony has lost a customer in this family and i doubt they care much but i will never buy another sony product , i am so tired of big companies BS and no customer service.

I am so mad i am fuming , i bought a touchscreen prs 600 when they first came out, spent almost 400 dollars on this unit, which one day just decided to not turn on ( 6 months old ) i didn't keep the box , i didn't know i needed it , i did keep the receipt , however , sony says serial numbers are on the unit , guess what , mine was on the box , that i do not have or can't find , so now my 400 dollar paperweight is useless and future shop says it is sony's fault and sony says it is not under waranty because no serial number .

I will never buy another sony product again and i will tell whoever will listen about my experience with both of these companies.

So i don't know what you should buy , but i can definitely tell you what not to buy !! I am also going to contact the better business bureau . I wonder just how many people get taken for this cute little business practice.

Update

Future shop has replaced the unit, sony still would not help me out in any way .

Last edited by woodfairie; 09-17-2010 at 07:27 AM.
woodfairie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:09 PM   #2
Joe Minton
eReader
Joe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Sony 650, iPod Touch 4G, iPhone 4, Nook: Touch/Glow/Color/Tablet
I have both the PRS-600 and a 300. They both have stickers on the back with the serial numbers and bar codes. Both were recent purchases. Perhaps the first ones did not have the sticker?

Go up the food chain. Send an email to Sony headquarters in Japan complaining about your treatment at the hands of their American division. I have found that this often works with Japanese companies. Don't ask how I came to believe this -- LOL

The Better Business Bureau is worthless for the consumer. Remember: their middle name is "Business."

Good Luck,
Joe
Joe Minton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2010, 08:20 PM   #3
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
No... every one I've seen has the sticker with barcode/serial and toxic waste disposal marker. I'd also have a go at the supplier for selling an item improperly... Sony state that all items are supplied with these stickers, without them they cannot be proved legal (no chain of supply)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Minton View Post
I have both the PRS-600 and a 300. They both have stickers on the back with the serial numbers and bar codes. Both were recent purchases. Perhaps the first ones did not have the sticker?
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
woodfairie

I am going to try this , they make it sound like it had a sticker on it and i removed it , which is definitely not the case , it never had a sticker , future shop had the sticker on the box , so i am also going in there tomorrow to speak to someone higher up also , I have bought a lot of things from this store as we recently renovated and bought all new computers ( 2 desktops , a laptop , a netbook , a dishwasher and a fridge ) I am so totally not impressed !!
Old 09-14-2010, 08:43 PM   #5
Iiink
Iiink began at the beginning.

Device: Sony reader
You did not hear it from me...... Just copy the serial number off a 600 sitting on a retail shelf and use it. Same difference. Expect to pay $29 to exchange it since it is longer than 90 days. Expect a refurb.
Iiink is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2010, 09:07 PM   #6
Scott_T
Groupie
Scott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500, Reb1100(dead)
Where did you buy the reader?
Scott_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:25 PM   #7
woodfairie

I bought it from Future Shop
Old 09-14-2010, 09:42 PM   #8
sheep
sheep began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Pocket Edition
Future shop sucks. This is probably their fault.
sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:32 AM   #9
thymaster
Zealot
thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
You have a 1 year manufacturer warranty and it's with Sony. However, whoever sold you the device should be sending it into a Sony designated repair centre with no charge on Sony behalf. If the problem is not fix, they should replace the unit for you. It's in your Sony warranty agreement when you purchase your reader.

The reason why the Futureshop guys are giving you the hassles is because you didn't buy their extended warranty so they give you the snobby face approach.

If you need guidance, call the Futureshop customer service line and they will tell you the exact same thing I just told you without prejudice.
thymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:04 AM   #10
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
The problem is with the retailer... they sold a unit without the serial number ID sticker... this is there for several reasons including proof it isn't sourced from a dubious source or an already registered (sold to someone else previously) unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymaster View Post
You have a 1 year manufacturer warranty and it's with Sony. However, whoever sold you the device should be sending it into a Sony designated repair centre with no charge on Sony behalf. If the problem is not fix, they should replace the unit for you. It's in your Sony warranty agreement when you purchase your reader.

The reason why the Futureshop guys are giving you the hassles is because you didn't buy their extended warranty so they give you the snobby face approach.

If you need guidance, call the Futureshop customer service line and they will tell you the exact same thing I just told you without prejudice.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:44 AM   #11
oldbwl
Zealot
oldbwl doesn't litteroldbwl doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300
I would expect that the shop will be able to find the transaction on their PC/Sales till. This is include the serial number but almost definitely the box would have had a bar code and scanned.

This happened to once. I took the physical device to the store and a copy of the bank statement showing the date of the transaction. I "told" them to look through the Sales records and hey presto, the manager went to his office and came back with the details.
oldbwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:59 AM   #12
yts06mgr
Nameless Being

woodfairie, I guess it is about time to change the subject of your original thread after everyone is saying the same thing. Just a suggestion though.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:32 PM   #13
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Hmmm...double post ?
Just read this complaint on another thread.

Seems to be a problem of Future Shop customer service and not Sony itself.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:01 PM   #14
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Yeah, this is the second thread with the same complaint. Maybe it's time the wood faery goes back to the forest with the other trolls..
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:23 AM   #15
woodfairie

Ok , after spending numerous convo's with both future shop and sony , future shop tells me that sony is the one who didn't place the serial on the back of the unit , sony just has a standard reply that the unit has been tampered with ( because there is no serial number on it ) apparently future shop is going to launch an " investigation " into why this one unit didn't have a serial number as i certainly did not tamper with it in any way , it did come in it's box , as this was my 1st sony reader , i have no idea how i was supposed to know what documentation came with it , i am not psychic !! It did have the booklet telling how to use the sony reader that i do remember , future shop has replaced the unit with a new one albeit reluctantly and next time i will definitely be checking any new units to make sure they have a serial number and and/or keeping my box , however with the amount of products we buy , I have no idea how to keep all these boxes ? I am still very irked with sony if it wasn't for future shop i would still be out a reader and i still am not 100 % certain whose fault it was ?

I did get future shop to send it in , apparently the top manager approved that , it got to sony who promptly told me that it would be 300 something dollars to replace the main power board i think it was , because there was no serial on it , i had allready had this conversation with sony and that is why i went back to future shop , they tried looking up the unit and couldn't find anything on it ( which i am now kinda thinking odd myself , as i also thought they would be able to do that , i also would have thought that inside the case would be something sony could use to identify it ? apparently not , sony would not budge or help me in the slightest !! )

Jaxx6166 I am not a troll , i don't know what your problem is , do you represent sony or something ? ..... I was just a very upset customer and posted this in the what to buy thread also , so buyers could be warned about the amount of customer serviced they could expect from these two companies , unless you are prepared to fight for your rights , I would have been out a reader , so thanks for your input too , you have been so very helpful !!