Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: How much will the KindleXL cost?
< $350 1 1.67%
$400 9 15.00%
$500 31 51.67%
$600 12 20.00%
$700 4 6.67%
$800 1 1.67%
$900 0 0%
$1000 1 1.67%
> $1000 1 1.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-05-2009, 10:58 AM   #1
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
How much will the KindleXL cost?

Any guesses on how much the new Kindle is going to cost?
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:18 AM   #2
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis
Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Voting in this poll makes me feel like I'm a contestant on The Price is Right.
Ziguezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2009, 11:40 AM   #3
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700
ditto,
The dollar option should have been placed there and we might have had a chance to take home the kindle.
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:42 AM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I guessed $500 though it is going to be more than the K2...
Maybe I will have to reconsider my desire to purchase it
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:44 AM   #5
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

An option not included in the poll that just occurred to me is
< $350 + subscription

e.g. A New York Times version of the Kindle might cost $199 + a 2 year contract for the Times as $15 a month.
Advert
Old 05-05-2009, 11:47 AM   #6
Daithi
Publishers are evil!

BTW, when I created this poll the Price is Right analogy ran through my mind as well.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:53 PM   #7
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
An option not included in the poll that just occurred to me is
< $350 + subscription

e.g. A New York Times version of the Kindle might cost $199 + a 2 year contract for the Times as $15 a month.
Now that is something that I would not with out thinking much about it... I have been debating subscribing to the times or usa today but this rumor that there may be something new out soon has caused me to shift into the wait and see mode...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:58 PM   #8
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
You forgot to add an option
"more than I wil be able to afford" ;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:08 PM   #9
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
my guess would have been 450, but that choices wasn't there so i chose 500
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:13 PM   #10
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
It depends... If it will be an ereader that you can only use to download subscribed newspapers/magazines, I guess it should be cheaper than the Kindle 2.

If it will be a full featured ereader (supporting multiple formats, etc), then my bet will be 500$. Not because it's worth it, but because there no better example in the market yet.

(669 posts! I guess that's a 666 with a twist in the end. Yay!)

Last edited by Over; 05-05-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:29 PM   #11
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
i have feeling that the new reader would require a subscription to nyt or wsj....and will then cost about same as existing kindle.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:31 PM   #12
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Since it appears to be aimed at the academic marketplace, I think that it's going to be more expensive -- in the 600 to 700 dollar range. Important to students and researchers:
* support of PDF, particularly for journal articles
* highlighting
* annotations

And, since I think it's going to be an expensive device, Amazon is going to want to enable the owner to also use it for casual/recreational reading instead of having to buy *another* device for that purpose.

If the price looks right, I might add a K3 to my inventory.

Edit: I don't think this will be the device for secondary school students. I think it is clearly going to be aimed at university students.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:39 PM   #13
Daithi
Publishers are evil!

I agree with you Elsi and for pretty much the reasons you listed.

BTW, I'm also glad I didn't upgrade to a K2, because I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the new model.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:22 PM   #14
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
yeah, if it does what Elsi has said (and has folders!). and if that is indeed the case, I don't see me getting rid of my K1, it is perfect for discreet reading at work!
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:26 PM   #15
dhill
Connoisseur
dhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to behold

Device: iPad 2, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD
I think it might be subsidised for University students, less than $300. Think of the profits selling those manditory and overpriced text books to students. The retail version for the rest of us probably $500.
dhill is offline   Reply With Quote