Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-03-2008, 02:54 PM   #1
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505SC
Quick way to block a telemarketer

This might only work in the United States, but I just heard from a friend the other day that if you get a marketing call, especially an automated recorded one, immediately press 2 on your phone. This will remove you from that company's phone list.

I just tried it with this ridiculous recording that I've been getting trying to sell me a mortgage refinance and it worked! As soon as I pressed 2 I got a message that said I had been removed from the list.

Pressing 2 is certainly worth a try in all situations. Even though I'm on the "Do Not Call" list I still get a smattering of telemarketers.

Hope this info helps a few people reduce their stupid calls.
Falbe Publishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:11 PM   #2
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falbe Publishing View Post
Pressing 2 is certainly worth a try in all situations.
I just had a neighbor drop by wanting to show me pictures of her trip to the Tacoma Zoo with her kids.

I immediately picked up my phone and pressed 2 over and over again, unfortunately it did no good.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2008, 03:22 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I just had a neighbor drop by wanting to show me pictures of her trip to the Tacoma Zoo with her kids.

I immediately picked up my phone and pressed 2 over and over again, unfortunately it did no good.
heh...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:54 PM   #4
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Wish I'd known about this when I still had a landline phone.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:40 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I use two strategies to annoy telemarketers.

Knowing they are paid by the number of people they contact, I let them go on and on. Then I ask dopey questions and stall around and generally frustrate them. Then act really dumb saying something like, "Oh sorry, I thought this was for a free weekend in a Hilton in London Kentucky not London, England. I'm not allowed to leave the country since the sentencing." They hang up quick and I've succeeded in annoying them more then they have annoyed me.

If I want to end it quick and still have some fun, I pretend I work for the company they are calling for:

Telemarketer: "Hi, I'm calling on behalf of the Hilton Hotel chain"
Me: "Is there something wrong"?
Telemarketer: "No I'm calling offer you a free weekend"
Me: "But I work for Hilton Sales"
Telemarketer: "Oh, sorry, guess you don't need me"
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2008, 04:54 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
(me makes note to pretend to work for the next health insurance / electricity reseller / investment counsellor / kitchen remodel / double pane windows company that calls)

a funny blog post about getting rid of telemarketers :
http://velcrometer.blogspot.com/2003...ite-daily.html
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:08 PM   #7
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I got rid of my landline, don't get any telemarketing calls on my cellphone.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:51 PM   #8
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falbe Publishing View Post
This might only work in the United States, but I just heard from a friend the other day that if you get a marketing call, especially an automated recorded one, immediately press 2 on your phone. This will remove you from that company's phone list.
Interesting. I'm unable to find any information on this via Google, not even urban legend hits. Anybody have any further info?
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:13 PM   #9
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I just say 'No thank you' very politely, wish them a good morning and put the phone down. This works every single time.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:46 PM   #10
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I say "We don't take sales calls. Please remove us from your list and do not call again." We actually don't get that many sales calls, though. We get a lot of charities wanting us to contribute. I give them the same message: "We do not take solicitations over the phone. If you would like to send me information about your organization via mail, I would be happy to consider it. Please remove us from your list and do not call again."

My understanding is that that last bit is something they have to respect, if you manage to get it in before they hang up. But I haven't formally tracked the results to make sure it works.

I often won't even answer the phone if I can see that it's a sales call (we have caller ID). It drives my teenage daughter crazy, because she thinks the phone should always be answered (preferably by her). So she answers it, comes down, and hands it to me. Once I simply hung up and handed it back to her without even talking with the person at the other end. I knew who it was from caller ID. My daughter was highly irritated. I really have not been able to get her to believe that not all calls are worth answering.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 07:12 PM   #11
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
If I don't know the caller ID, I just don't answer but let my answering machine do it for me.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
phone menus, privacy, telemarketers