Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-23-2015, 07:23 PM   #76
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Murg upgrading to Win 10 might be a win win for the bean counters and the techos in your company internationally.

I'm wondering about multiple licences be it company or individuals with this free version.
Nope.

By the time the Windows 7 upgrade project is rolled out, it will only have a year or two of life left in it...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:34 PM   #77
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you have Windows 8.1 Pro, it costs $9.99 for WMC. If you have Windows 8.1, it costs $99.99 to buy the Windows 8.1 Pro pack and you get WMC.
Or you could get Kodi (formerly xbmc) or Plex for free I have both running on a windows on an Intel NUC attached to the tv
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2015, 07:35 PM   #78
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I'm happy for the free upgrade. I have a lot of computers at home that I didn't want to pay for the Win 8 upgrade. And as I do have Win 8.1 computers, I'm looking for the nice upgrades I saw in Win 10
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 04:15 AM   #79
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Interesting to know that both Linux and Macs have forced or nagging updates.
My Mint Linux has no forced updates. There is just icon sitting in the tray that will change symbol when there are some updates ready. You do not have to click on it, it will not force an upgrade.
You can choose not to run the mintupdate at all, then you do not have a icon.
I have my mintupdate configured in such a way that it just shows an icon indicating available updates (please note that this is the default option). I click the icon, it asks me for a root passport, presents me with a list of packages that I can update (with a very reasonable pre-selection done for me) and then does its thing. I do not remember the update program ever asking me to reboot the machine or anything (it might need a reboot to start using a new kernel when you update the kernel). You can even update an application you are using at the moment (such as Firefox) and in vast majority of cases it goes smoothly. Next time you start an application you run the new version.
Oh ... I almost forgot. It updates not just operating system but the vast majority of installed apps as well. The only thing it doesn't update on my system is Calibre (Calibre has its own system of notification), Vim text editor that I like to compile from the source and DraftSight. DraftSight is a third-party AutoCAD clone I have installed manually without using PPA. With PPA you just add another source for packages to your apt system, so it becomes part of ecosystem that gets updated automagically.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:32 AM   #80
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I usually only ever upgrade with a new system, but I might take advantage of the free upgrade as long as its a big improvement on Windows 8. I'll probably experiment with my Mum's PC first though! It's running Windows 8.1 so 'needs' the upgrade more than my Windows 7 PC.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2015, 06:39 AM   #81
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Interesting to know that both Linux and Macs have forced or nagging updates. I ran Linux for a while and periodically try it out (last September was the last time) but it just feels rough around the edges for me. I did not encounter any forced or nagging updates, but as this would be, for me, its one redeeming quality, good to know it happens. Not that I hate Linux, just don't like it.
By "nagging" updates, I guess you mean we Linux users get notified that an update is available? -- that an icon changes color? Linux isn't Windows. If you're used to the way Windows works, you might find Linux "rough around the corners," but, if you use it for awhile, you find it isn't. I personally find Windows a royal pain whenever I have to fix my wife's or kids' computers. I can't say I hate Windows ... well, actually I can. I think it's the worst Malware Magnet OS ever foisted on poor, unsuspecting PCs.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:58 AM   #82
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
My Mint Linux has no forced updates. There is just icon sitting in the tray that will change symbol when there are some updates ready. You do not have to click on it, it will not force an upgrade.
You can choose not to run the mintupdate at all, then you do not have a icon.
I have my mintupdate configured in such a way that it just shows an icon indicating available updates (please note that this is the default option). I click the icon, it asks me for a root passport, presents me with a list of packages that I can update (with a very reasonable pre-selection done for me) and then does its thing. I do not remember the update program ever asking me to reboot the machine or anything (it might need a reboot to start using a new kernel when you update the kernel). You can even update an application you are using at the moment (such as Firefox) and in vast majority of cases it goes smoothly. Next time you start an application you run the new version.
Oh ... I almost forgot. It updates not just operating system but the vast majority of installed apps as well. The only thing it doesn't update on my system is Calibre (Calibre has its own system of notification), Vim text editor that I like to compile from the source and DraftSight. DraftSight is a third-party AutoCAD clone I have installed manually without using PPA. With PPA you just add another source for packages to your apt system, so it becomes part of ecosystem that gets updated automagically.
...All hail Mint, because it's so OBVIOUSLY better, and Windows could never actually have an option to just notify the user of any updates, and let the user choose which to install. Of course Windows also could never give the user the option of turning off update checking entirely. Only Linux (all hail the great god Torvalds, hallowed be his name) has such advanced features!

Unfortunately, Windows has had those options for as long as Windows Update has existed, thus destroying your attempt to spread the FUD of the Linux disciple.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:56 AM   #83
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Unfortunately, Windows has had those options for as long as Windows Update has existed, thus destroying your attempt to spread the FUD of the Linux disciple.
I was not trying to claim that Windows doesn't have that option.
I did not even *mention* Windows in my post.
I was answering question about update nagging in Linux. I also mentioned that this is the default setting in Mint Linux.

I use Windows at work and I support quite a few Windows users [at work and also among family and friends], so I am well aware what can be done in Windows.

by the way, *this* is what proper looks like:
<FUD> I also know how some PCs look after being used on the net by clueless users that open all the "OMG Ponies!" attachments [in mails from like-minded users] and install random crap from the net. </FUD> ;-)

Last edited by kacir; 01-24-2015 at 09:06 AM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:25 AM   #84
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Except that nothing was said of Windows in that post. It was a simple clarification of what a more-or-less typical Linux update system looks like.

For most users, the update system on a typical Linux distribution vs. Windows isn't going to make much of a difference. For people with a deeper interest, it's going to be a mixed bag. As an example: it is far easier to figure out which parts of the system are being updated under Linux and, in the case of Mint, the update priorities are more fine-grained. Descriptions of the nature of the update can be hit-and-miss. On the other hand, most Windows updates offer a better description if you follow the link to Microsoft's website. Yet there is no information about the nature of the update in the update software in most cases, which means that selectively approving updates involves a lot more work.

None of that is FUD. It is a simple description of the differences. While Microsoft would probably be doing everyone a favour by making those better-than-Linux descriptions more easily available, it isn't a concern for most home users who can get away with simply approving all updates. (On the other hand, the rolling feature updates coming with Windows 10 make make it an issue for home users who don't want to adapt to more rapid change.)
Old 01-24-2015, 11:23 AM   #85
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
I remember when I used to look forward to Windows upgrades. Now I dread them I will stick with Windows 7 until Microsoft seriously gives me a good reason to upgrade.
Honestly, I think people have had enough of upgrading without real improvement. It isn't just the OS you are upgrading - you have to upgrade your programs as well and that can be a problem if a program you use is no longer upgraded. It isn't laziness. Your time is valuable as is your $$. I will likely stay with system 7 as I don't have enough need for across-devices options.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:20 PM   #86
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Honestly, I think people have had enough of upgrading without real improvement. It isn't just the OS you are upgrading - you have to upgrade your programs as well and that can be a problem if a program you use is no longer upgraded. It isn't laziness. Your time is valuable as is your $$. I will likely stay with system 7 as I don't have enough need for across-devices options.
Agreed, with a caveat: there have been tremendous improvements in operating systems over the past decade. Whether you benefit from these improvements or not is largely up to how the individual uses their computer. If they're doing anything that is performance sensitive, demands reliability, or requires connectivity they probably will benefit. If they aren't, then they will see upgrades as being costly (for the reasons you mentioned).

Unfortunately, this seems to be a point that many people have trouble understanding. Those who are happy with what they want don't necessarily appreciate that other people have different expectations of their computers. Those who use the latest improvements don't appreciate that some people have different priorities for their time and money.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:25 PM   #87
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
...All hail Mint, because it's so OBVIOUSLY better, and Windows could never actually have an option to just notify the user of any updates, and let the user choose which to install. Of course Windows also could never give the user the option of turning off update checking entirely. Only Linux (all hail the great god Torvalds, hallowed be his name) has such advanced features!

Shari
Actually Windows no longer has these options as near as I can figure. I don't mind updating but I want to do it when I want to do it.

Most Windows updates allow you to delay updating, but There are fairly frequent reboots for updating that occur on their own.

Some of these reboots seem to attempt to put everything back as it was while some of them leave you at the password screen. But even the ones that attempt to fool you buy putting some of the programs back as they were are a bit lame in this respect. Seems only MS programs go back as they were and not always as they were. I am curious and check my update history, and sure enough there was an update that for some reason they want to conceal.

Used to be you could turn off updates, or receive notifications only, but now, even when Windows warns you that automatic updating is turned off, they still force an update regularly.

I haven't looked into this extensively for several months but I doubt it has changed.

If you have a foolproof method for disabling, while still maintaining full internet access, I would be happy to learn of it.

Windows 8/8.1 has another method as well. You cannot use their app store if your OS is not up to date, even to upgrade apps you have purchased or spend money to purchase another. No loss to me, but for some it is. At one time for a short period, it seemed almost as if you had to be updated to update. And I have had batches of forced updates as little as an hour apart which seemed to be mainly to fix what the previous updates had broken.

I like Windows, have been using mainly Windows since 3.0 so obviously I am used to it. Pretty sure I have had every version, even the short lived ones. I also have no problems with Linux, IOS, or android, But Windows 7 is still what I prefer so I just deal with it while muttering and moaning on occasion.

But AFAIK there is no foolproof way to turn off updates completely in Windows 7. Please enlighten me.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:05 PM   #88
alism
Connoisseur
alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD, Kindle 3, KPW,
Quote:
Actually Windows no longer has these options as near as I can figure. I don't mind updating but I want to do it when I want to do it.

Most Windows updates allow you to delay updating, but There are fairly frequent reboots for updating that occur on their own.

I have the Surface Pro 3 and it has four options.
1. Install Automatic update
2. Download updates but choose whether to install
3. Check for updates and choose whether to download and install
4. Never check for updates.
alism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:30 PM   #89
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by alism View Post
I have the Surface Pro 3 and it has four options.
1. Install Automatic update
2. Download updates but choose whether to install
3. Check for updates and choose whether to download and install
4. Never check for updates.
My surface Pro 3 has these options as well.
I have had option 2 selected, but it has installed them anyway but only after warning me for a day or so unless I rebooted.

Now I have selected option 4 and will be pleasantly surprised if there is no indication of an impending update and/or the app store still works without them. Not that I won't do an update but I think I can hold off for a month or so just to see.

Helen

Well despite selecting never check for updates my Surface Pro 3 demanded I update this AM.

Again, it is not like I don't update, just I would like to pick the time, and why give you the option to never check for updates when it is so blatantly ignored.

Helen

Last edited by speakingtohe; 01-25-2015 at 06:38 PM.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:38 PM   #90
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
<FUD> I also know how some PCs look after being used on the net by clueless users that open all the "OMG Ponies!" attachments [in mails from like-minded users] and install random crap from the net. </FUD> ;-)
If I didn't do that, how would I find out about the best online gambling sites?
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote