Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-15-2016, 01:53 AM   #1606
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Yup, the booklet version is fullscreen which means it doesn't have the menubar that the Kindlet inherited from the reader framework (which is itself a booklet, that opens books and Active Content and homescreen views and stuff).

Fullscreen means more space for KUAL buttons this is supposed to be an advantage.

So you will have to use the KUAL quit button, or the KT's physical home button if you have a KT.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:13 AM   #1607
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbarto0 View Post
hi need help

i jailbreak me kindle paper white 2 then i installed the kual and kual helper
also kual-mrinstaller-1.6.N.

now i see a new book call kindle launcher if i lounch this i find a kual were i can only sort
also a helper+ button if i click on it i can click install mr package. but it give me the message no mr package found

is all installed correctly ??? so now i can put in some extensions ???
If I may add, your english is quite comprehensible, but with technicalities it might lead to misunderstanding. If it is not your mother language, maybe next time also include an original version of the message in your mother tongue, expecially if it's a widely known one (like spanish, french etc).

Knc1 has already told you it's not really clear what you did; in my opinion, what isn't really clear is what you really want to know....
If I understood correctly:

- Yes, all is installed correctly: if jailbreak or kual "installation" had been performed incorrectly you wouldn't have been able to launch Kual at all

- Yes you can put in 1. Kual Extension and 2. Kindle plugins. I cite them separately because KUAL extension are one thing (installed by simply putting the code in the "extension" directory), other plugins are another (installed using MR Package Installer)

- The fact that MR Package Installer gave you that "No packages found" message is absolutely normal. That's what it says if you haven't put a .bin package into the right directory where MRP expects them to be. If it doesn't find a package to install there, it returns that message.
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2016, 02:25 AM   #1608
fennectech
Connoisseur
fennectech will become famous soon enoughfennectech will become famous soon enoughfennectech will become famous soon enoughfennectech will become famous soon enoughfennectech will become famous soon enoughfennectech will become famous soon enoughfennectech will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Clara E2, Kindle 4 Keyboard 3G
Do KUAL apps that run scripts run as root? im trying to use one to change the root password
fennectech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 03:10 AM   #1609
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fennectech View Post
Do KUAL apps that run scripts run as root? im trying to use one to change the root password
Yes, they do.
But if you change root's password, how do you expect it to continue working?

For what reason are you trying to change root's password?
Must likely, you really don't need to do that, not on a Kindle.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:33 AM   #1610
Hanspeter
Connoisseur
Hanspeter doesn't litterHanspeter doesn't litter

Device: Kindel PW1, Voyager
Hi,

not sure if I'm blind, but I'm looking for a documentation for the possibilities in the menu.json. Is there anything besides reading the once the exist in the different extensions?

Searched this thread, the wiki, the forum and the contends of the Kual package without results.

HaPe
Hanspeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2016, 08:09 AM   #1611
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
Have you looked at this?
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:36 AM   #1612
Hanspeter
Connoisseur
Hanspeter doesn't litterHanspeter doesn't litter

Device: Kindel PW1, Voyager
Quote:
Originally Posted by encol View Post
Have you looked at this?
Thanks for the head up. I only saw the kual.cfg and missed that the rest is documented below.

HaPe
Hanspeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:59 AM   #1613
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@nasser: That's a feature (of the Booklet version), not a bug . (Speaking of the "no menubar" thing).

KUAL should be adding a "Quit" button at the bottom (or top, if you have a funky config ) of every pager, so that shouldn't be a huge issue . I personally prefer the added visual real estate .

EDIT: Oh, look at that, missed a new page yet again .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:33 PM   #1614
fennectech
Connoisseur
fennectech will become famous soon enoughfennectech will become famous soon enoughfennectech will become famous soon enoughfennectech will become famous soon enoughfennectech will become famous soon enoughfennectech will become famous soon enoughfennectech will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Yes, they do.
But if you change root's password, how do you expect it to continue working?

For what reason are you trying to change root's password?
Must likely, you really don't need to do that, not on a Kindle.
i want to be able to modify the root filesystem and access it over SSH i need to put a new /etc/password in place i LOVE to play arround with things in the firmware

Last edited by fennectech; 08-16-2016 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:37 PM   #1615
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
i want to be able to modify the root filesystem and access it over SSH i need to put a new /etc/password in place
No you don't, that is handled by the USBnetworking package for you.
Try reading the directions in its archive.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:53 PM   #1616
fennectech
Connoisseur

Quote:
No you don't, that is handled by the USBnetworking package for you.
Try reading the directions in its archive.
i have gotten usbnetworking working but without a way to get the password from it (the methods ive tried even jtr) i cant login to root

you fail to understand i like to get into the system and alter it myself to do my own strange and wonderful things (like running an webserver from a kindle) or putting the entire thing through tor or installing linux binaries on it

Last edited by fennectech; 08-16-2016 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:04 PM   #1617
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
i have gotten usbnetworking working but without a way to get the password from it (the methods ive tried even jtr) i cant login to root
-- --
READ THE DIRECTIONS about setting up pub-key authentication.

The USB network package ALREADY signs you in as root.

I and others here keep telling you - you do not have to make any changes to the system password file.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:58 PM   #1618
fennectech
Connoisseur

Quote:
READ THE DIRECTIONS about setting up pub-key authentication.

The USB network package ALREADY signs you in as root.

I and others here keep telling you - you do not have to make any changes to the system password file.
I know i want to figure out what the usbnetwork is doing to require no password so i can make it require a password of my choosing im not a person to use keys so i perfer password ill read there to see if i can figure it out i know i can get in as root

# Use OpenSSH instead of dropbear (somewhat faster login)
# NOTE: OpenSSH *WILL* check your passwords!
# Make sure you know your root password, or auth via shared keys!
USE_OPENSSH="true "
That does the trick

Last edited by fennectech; 08-16-2016 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:49 PM   #1619
knc1
Going Viral

And what makes you think that our build of openSSH uses the system image files?

Perhaps you might learn something if you first checked the grounds of your assumption that we followed 'standard practice' when we built something for a special situation.

A special situation like it not being wise to modify the system image that Amazon provides.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:02 AM   #1620
fennectech
Connoisseur

Quote:
And what makes you think that our build of openSSH uses the system image files?

Perhaps you might learn something if you first checked the grounds of your assumption that we followed 'standard practice' when we built something for a special situation.

A special situation like it not being wise to modify the system image that Amazon provides.
well i tried it and it works fine issued passwd with my nerw password and now it takes that

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, kindlet, kual, launcher, launcher add-ons, paperwhite, sqlite, unified