Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-28-2016, 01:34 AM   #1516
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@geekmaster: Yup, that's usually caused by a broken date (usually because the Kindle decided to go back to epoch just for kicks).

(Routinely happens when I let my K2's battery die. setdate is my friend in these instances).

I've never had to touch anything in the userstore, but then I don't *think* I've ever been in the situation where, besides the system's date, the actual timestamps of the KUAL Kindlet were broken... In which case, touch'ing over USBMS should do the job just as well? (... except I just remembered you're on Windows right now, and I have no idea how to do that on Win32 ^^).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-28-2016 at 01:38 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:32 AM   #1517
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Since charging my DX, I did a factory reset and reinstalled KUAL and stuff. It all worked. I did a hard reset because I was running my "newtrix" demo (one of my unpublished KUAL extensions) on it (very slow on DX) and I was impatient to do something else on my DX. On reboot, KUAL failed. I understand how rebooting gives a bad date until you set it or turn radio on, but why did trying to start KUAL before fixing the date cause a persistent timestamp error? I will try to get usbnet working without KUAL and fix it from there.

Which reminds me, I installed usbnet on a K3 (3G) yesterday, and tweaking it from KUAL, I can only telnet in (even resetting to default usbnet settings in KUAL). The K3 rejects all incoming SSH connections on USB. I also looked at the usbnet config and it looks sane. I am puzzled because SSH works on a K3 (wifi-only) that I installed on recently. Any hints so I can spendy time on pursuits other than fighting usbnet battles?

Problems like this make me feel like a noob...

EDIT: A difference is that this DX had wifi on long enough to get the dreaded "not a test kindle" document installed on it by amazon, and I had to reinstall MKK, so it is running the latest firmware, whereas the K3 is running whatever firmware version Kubrick put on it. If something new from amazon causes (some) kindles to go insane if you try to launch an app with a reset date (ca. 1970), perhaps we need a "force-sane-date" startup script, that sets the date to the newest of "current date / newest timestamp in /usr/var" or something...

EDIT2: Meh... nevermind. I just wimped out and did another factory reset. I will reinstall everything from scratch (again!). But this time I will remember that a factory reset enabled the radio, and I will turn it off BEFORE installing stuff (but after the date is correct). If this date problem bit me after a firmware update, it might bite others too, so maybe we do want a "force-sane-date" startup script as mentioned in my previous EDIT above. ;(

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-28-2016 at 08:37 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2016, 09:12 AM   #1518
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
There was a fairly recent proposal to add a button to the 'set date/time' KUAL extension that searches user store for the most recent date/time and does a set time/set date to that time.
I don't know if anyone is working on that (I am not).

Also -
See if
;st YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM
works in the main page search bar -
it might be protected ('off'') by the debugon/debugoff toggle

(Which calls the 'settime' script that NiLuJe mentioned above.)

Last edited by knc1; 04-28-2016 at 09:14 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:01 AM   #1519
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
There was a fairly recent proposal to add a button to the 'set date/time' KUAL extension that searches user store for the most recent date/time and does a set time/set date to that time.
I don't know if anyone is working on that (I am not).

Also -
See if
;st YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM
works in the main page search bar -
it might be protected ('off'') by the debugon/debugoff toggle

(Which calls the 'settime' script that NiLuJe mentioned above.)
Except a KUAL date extension would be tricky to use if an invalid date prevents KUAL from running (as was the case for my DXG KUAL date problem). A startup script would be less problematic in such a case.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:13 PM   #1520
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@geekmaster: Back to USBNet on the K3, was that with the release packages or the latest snapshots?
Advert
Old 04-28-2016, 02:05 PM   #1521
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@geekmaster: Back to USBNet on the K3, was that with the release packages or the latest snapshots?
SSH works fine on my DX now, after factory reset and reinstall packages. I think what happened is the USBnet install on my DX got tripped up by residual files previously copied from a K3. Less headache to just start over, though it is nice to know what went wrong so it can be avoided (or prevented in install scripts) in the future.

I have been installing your latest snapshots.

Now that SSH works, I can use WinSCP to copy files, so I no longer need USBMS. I set it to boot to USBnet.

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-28-2016 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:37 PM   #1522
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@GM: Great, thanks for clearing that up . I was afraid it was another sneaky GCC 5.3 issue...
Old 05-08-2016, 10:45 AM   #1523
geekmaster

[SOLVED]

I have KUAL running on most of my different kindle models. The buttons are huge and awkward on my DXG, but small and many per page on the K5 (which I prefer).

Now that I just got a K2, I immediately turned off wireless. Then after a full recharge, I installed JB and MKK and USBnet (all reporting success). Then I added KUAL and some extensions. Starting KUAL on my K2 reports "The application is not signed by a registered developer."...

I reinstalled MKK multiple times, always reporting success (suggesting that the JB is still in effect). However, KUAL still does not run (suggesting that MKK is not installed, even immediately after reinstalling it).

Any suggestions about what to try next? Does somebody here have KUAL running on a K2?

EDIT: P.S. I am using the MKK from NiLuJe's snapshots, and the date on my K2 is correct.

EDIT2: I just set usbnet (which installed successfully) to "auto" and restarted. I can SSH in just fine. I will try updating my firmware and certs.

EDIT3: I just finished updating the firmware to the latest 2.5.8, and I installed the cacert update. Now KUAL reports the (different) "not a test kindle" message, so reinstalling MKK should work now. Apparently MKK is not compatible with 2.5.4? I have been away for quite awhile, so I did not follow the whole "MKK thing" as it progressed... Yes! KUAL works now!

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-15-2016 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:09 PM   #1524
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
how to make my own extension?
there are some tools/guide to do this?
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:54 PM   #1525
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
- - - - -
Apparently MKK is not compatible iwth 2.5.4? I have been away for quite awhile, so I did not follow the whole "MKK thing" as it progressed... Yes! KUAL works now!
We have had another recent report of the same thing (fails on 2.5.4).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:57 AM   #1526
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by encol View Post
how to make my own extension?
there are some tools/guide to do this?
KUAL_What's_New#Extension_Files
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:01 AM   #1527
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
thanks i didn't seen it
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:40 AM   #1528
bakhanbeigi
bakhanbeigi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PSR T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Spoiler:
Yeah. it was the config.xml line endings. Please run dos2unix over your config files before releasing them in the future mate

IN FACT IF ANYONE HAS ANY DOUBTS ABOUT THEIR FILES??? RUN THIS OVER THEM

EDIT: Although it shouldn't matter now... The parser will fix it up : )
EDIT: Nope now we demand correct file again, Heh. How times change and change again

Thanks for testing.

Attached some files that are useful (many of them only work on KT <5.3.2) - and annoying to get hold of.

I just copied this extentions I can see new items in Kual but when I try to open them it just close Kindle Launcher. I am using Kindle paperwhite 2015
bakhanbeigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:02 PM   #1529
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@bakhanbeigi: Err, what was your goal?
Old 05-18-2016, 02:42 PM   #1530
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakhanbeigi View Post
I just copied this extentions I can see new items in Kual but when I try to open them it just close Kindle Launcher. I am using Kindle paperwhite 2015
Those "annoying to get hold of" programs are various utilities you can run from a shell (such as a usbnet SSH session, or an onscreen terminal). They are NOT packaged as a KUAL extension. What "new items" are you seeing? What "extensions" from that (extensionless) post did you copy? Or, were you referring to OTHER stuff in OTHER posts that you left out of your (misquoted) post?

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-18-2016 at 02:46 PM.

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, kindlet, kual, launcher, launcher add-ons, paperwhite, sqlite, unified