Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #1
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
Tons of question marks?

Has anyone seen this? I can't figure out why my book has tons of ? in little rectangle boxes all throughout the text? It doesn't have it on my computer, just in the Kindle, and it didn't have it for the first few pages, then it went to sleep and when it woke up it did. It also doesn't have it on other books that I've looked through?
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:24 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The question mark is displayed when the book contains a character that isn't present in the Kindle's font.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2011, 02:27 PM   #3
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The question mark is displayed when the book contains a character that isn't present in the Kindle's font.
It's everywhere though, and not always in place of a character. It also just showed up mid book, it wasn't there when I started reading.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:29 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have absolutely no idea why it should suddenly appear, but soft hyphens are a pretty common cause. They can indeed be "everywhere".
Old 02-20-2011, 02:32 PM   #5
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have absolutely no idea why it should suddenly appear, but soft hyphens are a pretty common cause. They can indeed be "everywhere".
I fixed it! It wasn't a soft hyphen, it would be before a sentence, before and after 1 word, after a regular hyphen or comma, in several places where there should've just been a space. Very weird
Thanks anyway!
Advert
Old 02-20-2011, 02:41 PM   #6
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books

Nevermind, I didn't fix it, I only succeeded in taking out all the punctuation except periods.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:51 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Sounds like a character encoding issue to me.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:54 PM   #8
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Sounds like a character encoding issue to me.
I tried to fix it by converting and inputing character encoding, but it didn't help. Looks like my Kindle isn't recognizing " and ' in this book. Any ideas?
Old 02-20-2011, 03:10 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I've seen issues if they're not your standard quotation characters - such as curly quotes or angled quotes. For those, you'd need to specify UTF-8 for your XHTML source's character encoding. Either that or use entity encoding -- “ ” ‘ ’ ... etc, in your source.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:14 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Not recognising curly quotes is indeed a typical symptom of the conversion having used the wrong character encoding.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:20 PM   #11
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I've seen issues if they're not your standard quotation characters - such as curly quotes or angled quotes. For those, you'd need to specify UTF-8 for your XHTML source's character encoding. Either that or use entity encoding -- “ ” ‘ ’ ... etc, in your source.
Ok sorry, can you explain that? I just did the CP#### that it says in the user manual of Calibre, and checked the transliteration box in Look and Feel, and that's what took out the ? and all the " ' . So I tried putting in UTF-8 in the Input Character Encoding and it didn't do anything. Then I tried Ascii and the ? went away but so did all the " ' . I'm not sure what those other letters are or where to put them?
ETA Ok, I googled and understand what Entity Coding is, but where do I input it?

Last edited by Belle2Be; 02-20-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:26 PM   #12
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Assuming it is a mobi file, extract the html with mobiunpack, open that in notepad or similar and add this line between the two <head> tags:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />

Then use Mobicreator to put it back into a mobi.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:02 PM   #13
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books

Alright well I give up. Thanks anyway, I'll just try to read it on my NC.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:04 PM   #14
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
It's one of those things that is easier to do than to explain. If you want to email it to me I could do it in about 15 seconds.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:25 AM   #15
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
usually, in my experience, the little square thing or other annoying characters that don't belong there, replace quotation marks and question marks or apostrophes.
i just export the document (or convert it) to a word/open office document where i perform a search and replace by selecting the irritant and replacing all with what's supposed to be there. (this, in the case where all ", ', or ? or etc are replaced by the same annoying character)

hope it makes sense
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote